Author Topic: rear fender  (Read 7590 times)

Offline buzz

rear fender
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
 I might be acquiring another C-10.
If you have cut off  or trimmed the stock C-10 rear fender please send pic's of your work.
Have you had any rain/water related issues since trimming the  fender?

Buzz

Offline Mettler1

Re: rear fender
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
     I butchered mine.  :o :o
   Some have move the license plate up to the tail light and cut off even more than mine.

The more you take off the easier it is to remove the rear wheel.  May do that one of these days! ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »
Here's one of the better pics I could find of mine.  I flipped the license plate bracket, which tucks the plate up nicely against the light.  Then I cut the fender right below that bracket.  The only water/mud issue I have noticed is that my trunk winds up pretty dirty when I hit muddy dirt roads.  But I'll gladly put up with that for the better looks and the easier tire changes.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline mlf73

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
Mine is cut about the same as Mettlers I think.  It's pretty much even with the bottom edge of the side bags and gives me a fairly straight line across the back that looks to be by design in my opinion.  As Jon stated, the only issue I've seen is that the spray will get the bottom of your trunk or rack dirtier than with an untrimmed fender but I think it looks better than stock.  My pic isn't that great but hopefully it will attach.

Marlan

02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »
No problems with mud and such..... but this bike is a garage bike....
nice day rides only..... 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »
Like MOB, this bike is mainly for nice days right now.  I bent and angled the tag bracket to hold the plate more inward and higher.  I also added little $15 LED post lights so it would still be "legal" for inspection.  Northern VA is pretty tough and it would give a cop a reason to stop you.  I haven't taken "final" pictures yet.  Maybe soon.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
It was just above the reflector.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
..I also added little $15 LED post lights so it would still be "legal" for inspection.  Northern VA is pretty tough and it would give a cop a reason to stop you.  I haven't taken "final" pictures yet.  Maybe soon.

heheehe
funny you mention it.... Mine passed inspection, and the following year I got flak from the (different) place I went to...they tried to sell me $30 "bolt/lights"...
pizzed me off, so I rode back to work, drilled 5 holes in the bottom of the red lens, and glued a piece of clear lexan in to seal it.... was back at the inspection station in 20 minutes....and they still gave me flack.... said they couldn't see the light on the plate....(while the bike was sitting in the sun.....) I asked them if they could see my tail light was on, and my brake lights when actuated....they confirmed.... Ithen picked up a bike cover from the floor and tossed it over the back of the bike, and told the inspector to "climb under and tell me you can't see light on the plate"....
hell, it ONLY matters at night.... ::) ::) ::)

it's passed ever since. ;) 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 01:09:04 PM »
drilled 5 holes in the bottom of the red lens, and glued a piece of clear lexan in to seal it....

That's using the old coconut  8)
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »
I've cut the rear fender on about 6 Connies. (12 year time frame)

I always cut it just the fender just below the level of the reflectors.
I've used various methods to re-attach the plate. Bobbing without raising the license plate seems wrong to me.

Most recent/simplest plate mount is; Remove the license plate light. Install the license plate on the stock license plate bracket,,, using the lower 2 holes of the license plate.
Works fine.

NOTE: I have never been hassled about the lack of a license plate light. If I were, I'd do as MOB did, or buy lights that mount in the License plate holes.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:04:24 AM »
Make a metal plate to fit behind the licence plate that flicks out under the licence plate.
This will prevent too much dirt getting flung onto the trunk.
Kinda like this
 \
  \
   \__

Then you can cut the fender right up to the bottom of the plate.
This isn't a new idea. I'm sure I've seen this on a Connie somewhere.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK