Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671226 times)

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3380 on: October 17, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »

Running on generator power now.  That rain & wind storm that just ripped through New England has done quite a bit of tree damage.     

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3381 on: November 17, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »

It's another 'mast' year for the oak trees in my yard.   Lots and lots of acorns for the animals. 

Amazing Acorn Facts
- There are about 90 species of oak in North America. All oaks produce acorns.
- Acorns belonging to trees in the red oak group take two growing seasons to mature; acorns in the white oak group mature in one season.
- Oak trees have greenish, inconspicuous female flowers and are wind pollinated.
- Oak trees of North America annually produce more nuts than all the region’s other nut trees together, wild and cultivated.
- One huge oak can drop up to 10,000 acorns in a mast year!
- Masting takes a lot of energy! Oak trees grow slowly in a mast year and grow well the year after.

http://libanswers.nybg.org/faq/222824

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3382 on: November 25, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
Can someone explain to me how and why Ford would call this thing a 'Mustang'?

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #3383 on: November 25, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »
Marketing guys got to it first???    :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3384 on: November 25, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Same committee that called this a Mustang....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3385 on: November 25, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
Could be the sons and daughters of the engineers that designed the Mustang II.  Total piece of crap.  I know, I drove one around for awhile.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3386 on: November 25, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »

At first I thought the same thing, but remember that Ford is supposedly going to drop ALL cars soon, except the Mustang.  Personally, I think it is stupid to call it that, they should have just stuck with "Mach E."  It is really nice that choices in decent electric vehicles are starting to appear.  As much as I want a model S, it is still waaaay too expensive (and the model 3 sucks).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3387 on: November 25, 2019, 06:46:18 PM »

Well, 459 horsepower and 612 pound-feet of torque might have something to do with it? That's only 13 pound-feet of torque
less than the Shelby GT500. As for looks...well you've got me there.  ???

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3388 on: May 13, 2020, 05:29:00 AM »
Earworms - you know, those songs/melodies that run through your head at all hours of the day and night. No, I'm not talking about the Star Trek kind of ear worm.

As a musician, I am cursed with them. But that curse isn't necessarily unpleasant.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3389 on: May 13, 2020, 05:42:20 AM »
Earworms - you know, those songs/melodies that run through your head at all hours of the day and night. No, I'm not talking about the Star Trek kind of ear worm.

I have both.  I have been binge-watching the different Star Trek series on Netflix for months and have each series' theme song firmly rattling around in my brain, continuously.

As a musician, I am cursed with them. But that curse isn't necessarily unpleasant.

I can relate.  I have the same problem.  The only thing that helps is to HEAR (not imagine) some other tune.  Preferably something not catchy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3390 on: May 13, 2020, 07:09:50 AM »

I'm not a musician but I'm certainly a music lover and music is always playing around me in one way or another.

I know what you mean about the ear worm! I wake up every day with an ear worm. Sometimes it's a song I heard the day before and sometimes it's totally out of the blue. This morning it's Paul Young - Come Back and Stay. 

An oldie but a goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeeJhEpeUfc
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3391 on: May 13, 2020, 08:25:40 AM »
For those struggling with the Star Trek themes try this for an ear-worm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE
 :rotflmao::deadhorse: :banana :banana :banana
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3392 on: May 17, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
I've banned people for less, Boomer....LOL
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3393 on: May 18, 2020, 03:59:46 AM »
I've banned people for less, Boomer....LOL
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Ya can't say I didn't warn ya!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline zgirl

« Reply #3394 on: July 27, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
For some reason, the past 4 months or so I have this ear-worm......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4jf6rtyuw

And I like this more recent version at least as much if not better..... just got to get past youtube ad first, but IMHO worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmtQvrWUps
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3395 on: July 27, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
Both excellent!

Offline zgirl

« Reply #3396 on: July 27, 2020, 07:22:58 PM »
Thanks!  Hope all enjoy.  It's a fun song to be crazy to????   8)
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither of them works.
'03 Kawi ZG1000
'09 Suzuki DL650
COG #5995, AMA #724312, CDA #0117, BMW MOA 121177

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3397 on: August 27, 2020, 01:21:07 PM »
Been pretty dead around here so.....

I think most people are familiar with the battle and results of the HMS Hood and the German ship Bismark. But the other ships in the fight seem to have been forgotten entirely. They were: The HMS Prince of Wales, a battleship accompanying the Hood, and the Prinz Eugen, a heavy cruiser sailing with the Bismark.

The Prince of Wales survived the engagement with the Bismark only to be sunk by Japanese air attack the following year in the Pacific. The Prinz Eugen has a more unusual story: she was sunk by atomic weapons which is odd because no atomic weapons were ever used in Europe, and the Prinz Eugen was not in Japan in 1945.

In a convoluted series of events, the Prinz Eugen survived the war (one of only two large German warships to do so) as an operational and functioning warship and was turned over to the British at the end of the way. In turn, the British gave her to the US as a war prize sometime later. She was actually made part of the US navy for a time, being renamed the USS Prinz Eugen. Her advanced radar and fire direction control systems were studied in great detail and then the ship was assigned to Operation Crossroads, the first post- war atomic weapons testing done by the US. She was towed to the Bikini Atoll and exposed to the atomic tests named Able and Baker (obviously the first two tests). While she actually survived the atomic weapons, more or less intact, she was so radioactive that she was abandoned after being moved to the Kwajalein Atoll. After developing a small hull leak, the ship continued to deteriorate as repairing her was impossible, again due to the high radiation from the ship. Eventually, she capsized and sank, leaving a good portion of the hull above the water line.

But that was not the end of her story: in 1974 the hull began leaking oil and there was concern that a storm could cause the fuel tanks to empty creating a major oil spill. Holes were cut in her hull and almost one million liters of fuel were pumped out in an operation ending in 2018. Her hull was again sealed and she rests in the same spot she sunk in back in 1946, with part of her hull visible still.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3398 on: August 27, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »
Does the aquatic life to live in that area glow?
I’m just asking for a friend.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3399 on: August 27, 2020, 07:10:08 PM »
Do not know about the ship today. Bikini atoll is so 'hot' that it was evacuated (again) in the 1980's due to excessive radioactive materials.

If one is going to 'make the neutrons dance, one must live with the results. There have been some incidents far worse than merely contaminating ships close to atomic test sites. That could be a topic for yet another post about nothing at all....

Just to be clear: I am not opposed to nuclear power or even nuclear weapons. And I am most certainly not making any kind of statement in this or the last post. But I am opposed to idiots using either one, and unfortunately even the able and prepared people sometimes have nuclear devices get away from them. There is no excuse for Chernobyl but fukushima daiichi is a very different story. Not sure if anyone made any serious errors immediately after the diesel generators were flooded or not but that was a very well prepared installation and operation that was simply overwhelmed by natural events on a scale unexpected.

Brian

Does the aquatic life to live in that area glow?
I’m just asking for a friend.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com