Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671232 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
Nope, I don't remember him (it?).

Brian

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
If a motorcycle falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, is it still the fault of KiPass?

Brian

If it's Bob's FJR it is.    ;D

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
I forgot what I was going to say.  Something witty for sure.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
It is believed that Pythagoras didn't prove the theorem that bears his name because algebra had yet to be invented during his lifetime.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
Either he or one of his students came up with the proof for that theorem. That said, all mathematical theorems remain theorems because they cannot be proven until each and every number or number combination has been tried and the theory continues to work. As there are infinite numbers, no theorem can be proven conclusively.

Brian

It is believed that Pythagoras didn't prove the theorem that bears his name because algebra had yet to be invented during his lifetime.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
I just spilled wine over my desk and keyboard.  Darn mouse cord caught the bottom of the glass.  It was at least a swallows worth.  :banghead:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
Was it a pet mouse or a wild one? Kirby trips over stuff now and again but he has never spilled anything that I was drinking.

Brian

I just spilled wine over my desk and keyboard.  Darn mouse cord caught the bottom of the glass.  It was at least a swallows worth.  :banghead:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 05:33:51 AM »

If you had been drinking a beer that wouldn't have happened! Is it time for a new keyboard yet?

Yeah yeah, blame the sticky keys on the wine...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 06:14:35 PM »
As the story goes….

‘Fighting’ Joe Hooker was a union general during the American Civil war. Some of his characteristics were supposedly that he liked parties, drinking and er, women of ‘negotiable affections’. So much so that there was a group of such women who followed Fighting Joe around as he traveled with the army. These women were called “Hooker’s division” which of course was eventually shortened to just ‘hookers’ and is the origin of the use and meaning of that word. It is a great story; it is not true but it is much more colorful than the truth….

The word ‘hooker’ was used in print with its current meaning at least as early as 1845, many years before the civil war or Joe Hooker’s notoriety. It may be tied to a place called Corlear’s Hook in New York due to the number of houses of ill repute there. It also may have origins as far back as the 16th century when hooks were used to steal items through open windows and when used in that way, their owners were called ‘hookers’; certain women were associated with such fellows because they used similarly nefarious methods to induce customers to visit.

See- I told you the Fighting Joe origin was much better.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 09:09:35 AM »
Water is the only material that 'freezes' from the top down. Other materials change from liquid to solid from the bottom up. Good thing it goes that way with water though, otherwise life would not exist on Earth: freezing at the bottom would kill off the smaller organisms that start the food chain and everything else living in that body of water would die too.

Brian

Offline ManWorkingH3r3

• Blue is the Fastest Color. :-)
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 07:35:13 AM »
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?page=Riding_Tips.htm&cart_id=1286449051.43130

STREET RIDING TIPS

34 safety and street riding tips to help reduce injuries and reduce your risk!

1 - Leave your ego at home.
Really, no body cares how good (fast) you can ride.  Only you.
2 - Be considerate in traffic.
Do you really have to pass aggressively and dart in and out of traffic?  Do you like to cut right in front of cars after passing and not use a signal?  This type riding behavior infuriates other drivers and can incite road rage.  Don't think they won't try to knock you down on purpose! 
3 - Be patient.
Look before you leap!  Being impatient makes you do stupid things with your motorcycle.
4 - Assume you are invisible in traffic and motorists will try to kill you!
Ride defensively and use tips #11, #21 and #22.
5 - Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Old saying that rings true for all motorcyclists.  Think in survival mode.
6 - Wear protective riding gear
Yes, we have all heard the arguments about comfort, rights, etc.  This is about YOU so consider this:
No one wants to crash but if you do, do you want to go pavement diving in sneakers, shorts and a T-shirt?  Crash without a helmet on your grape?  You kidding, right?
7 - Don't trust those mirrors 100%.
Never change lanes or direction without using your mirrors AND a head check for hidden danger.
8 - Pay attention to your riding!
At 60mph you are covering 80+ feet a second. Day dreaming or looking elsewhere beside the roadway can get you in big trouble very quickly.
9 - Watch your closing speed.
Give yourself time to react or you better be REAL good at braking and evasion!
10 - Always use the 2 second rule!
Stay 2 seconds behind the traffic ahead.  Make that 4 seconds in the rain.  This is an easy safety check you can make anytime.....just count the time and adjust your distance.  The faster you go the more the distance.  This simple riding rule will allow you to see more of the road and have more time to react to sudden dangers ahead.
11 - Think before you act. 
Goes with #3!
12 - Look where you want to go.
It's the same for riding horses, bicycles, or motorcycles.  You go where you look. Use target fixation to your advantage.  It's a body english thing! 
13 - Keep your eyes scanning ahead for potential trouble.
Ok, this is a big one.  Learn this skill and your chances of avoiding a crash go way up.
The opposite of target fixation!  Keep your eyes moving and scan ahead a reasonable distance.  That 40 feet in front of your bike is already history....
14 - Watch for the wildlife.
Practice #13 to avoid most deer, moose, ground hogs, beavers, or whatever critter frequents your roads.  You MIGHT get a chance to avoid them if you buy yourself some time.
15 - Excessive speed for your riding conditions.
Don't ride over your head.  Slow down to a comfortable 80% of your ability.  If your buddy gets ahead, he'll wait on you (well, if he is a good riding buddy he will).
16 - Danger from behind!
Always keep an eye on your mirrors.  Make this part of your visual scan. Do this especially when you stop or slow down.  This may warn you of fast approaching danger from the rear so you can get out of the way. 
17 - Keep a good position and always have an escape route.
Stay away from commercial trucks, trailers, RVs, etc that can easily kill you if you tangle with one.  Always anticipate problems and watch for a way out if things go bad.
18 - Stay off parts of the roadway where debris gathers.  Both sides!
Now, you would think this would be common sense and not in this list but riders do get hurt running over tires, nails, boards, ladders, etc. that are on the sides of the road and off ramps.
19 - Left turning cars, trucks, ANYTHING!
This one is THE #1 killer of motorcyclists!   Sometimes you never get a chance to react but you can minimize the danger by practicing your scan, eye contact, and other skills mentioned here. Oh, have good front lighting on your bike and use it to your advantage (high beams in the day, MotoLight).
20 - Drivers running red lights.
Do you start into an intersection the moment  your light turns green?  Yes?  You are begging to get run over!  Wait a second or two, look both ways and then proceed.  You will be amazed how many idiots you see come through red lights.
21 - Always cover your front brake.
MSF says no but this can add a full second to your reaction time for braking.
Is that not a good thing?
22 - Learn to use BOTH brakes together for maximum braking.
Very important for threshold braking and escape maneuver.  Practice it!
23 - Come to a full stop at stop signs. 
Yeah, you know you have been rolling them!  Stop this bad habit before you get nailed!
24 - Stop signs and traffic lights on hills.
Use your rear brake to hold you tight and smoothly engage the clutch when you need to ride off.  See, that was easy!
25 - Riding in the rain. 
Hey, it rains.  No big deal, your bike can handle it.  Rain does not = impending doom.  Slow down and and ride smoothly.  Relax and concentrate.  Remember the most  slippery pavement will be at the start of a shower.  Heavy downpours can wash away the road film and improve traction for you.
26 - Master slow speed riding.
You can fall off and get hurt badly at 5 mph.  Learn to steer in tight low speed conditions and use the rear brake to help with smooth weight transfer.  Sound like BS?  Go to your local gas station where motorcycles gather and sit back to watch the show! 
27 - Master the U turn.
You should be able to turn your bike inside a single lane of traffic (12 feet wide) with your feet on the pegs.  It isn't hard, use the clutch, use that outside peg,  and steer smoothly.  Learn this maneuver for clean 180's so you don't end up stopped and struggling in the road or worse, fall off.  Goes with #26.  School parking lots are a good place to practice this and other slow speed riding. 
28 - Keep your bike serviced and keep good tires on it.
Well, that covers that!
29 - Show your intentions to everybody!
Use your turn signals at least 5 seconds before a turn.  Use your brake light to warn of impending stops.  Again, sudden and abrupt changes in your speed or direction can cause you to get knocked down by a car or truck in traffic.  Especially if you don't signal!
30 - At traffic lights or other stops: Don't stop in the middle of the road.
Do you want to be a motorcycle sandwich?  Stop on one side or the other so you can escape easily if a vehicle is bearing down on you from behind.  Watch those mirrors (again).
31 - Leave your bike in 1st gear while stopped in traffic. 
How can you escape if you are sitting there out of gear?
32 - Avoid slippery fluids like transmission fluid, motor oil, anti freeze, Diesel fuel, etc.
These hazards mostly collect in the middle of the road so they pile up at intersections.  See #30
33 - Tire blow outs, other sudden flats, and drive train failures: What to do now?!
Ok, if this is going to be a disaster it usually happens within the first couple of seconds.  So if you have time to realize what is happening and you are not already sliding down the highway, you can probably save it.  Don't panic!  Be smooth with getting off the throttle and begin braking with the good wheel (except you linked ABS folks) as quickly as the situation will allow.  This will probably be ugly but get stopped the best you can.
34 - Always look back when leaving parking.
Have you ever lost anything while riding?  This happens most often right at the motorcycle when loading or unloading.  When you mount up and pull off, get in the habit of looking back where you were parked for anything you may have dropped on the ground.  You may surprised how many times this can save you some grief!

2001 ZG1000-a14  - a.k.a. Blue Streak  COG#9292

Son of Pappy

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Ignore #21.  To hell with "What MSF says", I mean, really, what do they know?  When the body/mind goes into panic mode things tense up really quick, which is what you never want to do with the front brake.  #s 13 and 17 will give you that split second needed.  Never rely on ABS, Murphys law dictates that when you need it most it will fail.  Take extra time to practice quick stops, dont just rely on routine riding to keep this most valuable of skills up to par, practice it in all riding situations, wet and dry, it is a skill that just may save your life.  Ever hear that line "I had to lay it down"?  Just how much traction does the side of a motorcycle provide?  Lock up the front brakes and you'll find out.  Only cover the front brake when you have determined the need, NOT on a routine basis.  If you are in forest rat land, slow, and if you are seeking an area you think may have a rat, go ahead, slow, cover, move on, and resume standard riding. 
How many drive with their foot hovering over the brake?  If I grab the brake lever in a panic moment what will happen?
How many cover their clutch?  If I grab my clutch lever in a panic moment, what will happen?
Guys/gals, continue to improve upon your skills, be it MSF or some other school, get another set of eyes to watch and offer advice on technique.  If you dont like what they have to offer, it is still up to you to survive the ride.
YMMV, just my professional opnion, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
So if you are in beautiful downtown Detroit and travel south two miles, what country are you in?

Canada.

Brian

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »
The more one knows, the less one believes. 8)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
So if you are in beautiful downtown Detroit and travel south two miles, what country are you in?

Canada.

Brian

:rotflmao:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 09:48:56 AM »
#35 Enjoy your ride.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline koval68

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »

Canada.

Brian
:stirpot: :chugbeer: :stirpot:

A Canadian and an American are having a beer together, and the conversation turns to who has the better country. After numerous exchanges of boasts, the Yankee says "Sure Canada's nice! But take away your clean air, your friendly people, and your strong beer, and what have you got?".

The Canuck smiles and says "Easy. The USA!".
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »
If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there. Does it still make a noise.

Corollary: If a tree falls in the forest and kills a mime, does anyone care?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
Corollary: If a tree falls in the forest and kills a mime, does anyone care?

What a waste! Only the one mime?

YoDoc

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
A crowed elevator smells completely different to a midget.