Author Topic: Question For You Floridians  (Read 4679 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Question For You Floridians
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:13:44 AM »
My buddies and I are trying to plan our next trip.  We are going to do a short 4 day this summer and then head south next winter.  We are doing something different in the winter and transporting the bikes.  We are putting them on the auto train in Lorton, VA and heading to Sanford,FL.  Once in Florida we plan on just cruising Florida for an entire week.  So here are my questions.  What is the best time in the winter to go (most mild weather)?   And will we get bored just sticking to Florida the entire time?  We plan on riding through the Everglades and to Key West, but other than that have no idea what to do. 

Thanks

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Question For You Floridians
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
You're on the right track hitting the Keys. Other stuff:

South Beach in Miami Beach. Do Lincoln (Place, Street, Ave, whatever it is) in the evening there. Niether SoBe or the Keys are for the economy minded. Things are spendy there.

Fort Desoto Park in St Pete.

Maybe Clearwater Beach in (duh)  Clearwater.

Do A1A in the Flagler Beach area, old Floriduh.  Stay at Symphony Beach Club in Ormond Bea, get an ocean front room, preferably above first floor. Frank and Carmen run it and are a delight. Frugal rates, especially for the ocean front. There is a place called the Schnitzel House up the roda from them. Yummy Yurapean food.

Also, figure on at least a day in St Augustine. Eat here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34599-d390356-Reviews-O_Steen_s_Restaurant-Saint_Augustine_Florida.html

and/or here:

http://www.a1aaleworks.com/

and/or here:

http://www.hookedonharrys.com/page/28-4172.htm

The area north of Orlando/Tampa has the best riding in peninsular FLa. Think Lake, Marion, Levy, Alachua, Pasco, Hernando counties, plus more. Other favorites for one off type places to eat, in above area:

this is my absolute most favorite restaurant, the atmosphere is killer. Watch for the limited hours and sit close to where Rick Green performs.
http://www.yearlingrestaurant.net/

Also hit Sleepy Hollow near Floral City. Bonus, it's on a very marvey road
http://www.wallowatthehollow.com/

--------------

In general stay off the main highways and freeways, and definitely avoid Us 27 between Clermont and Sebring, there are about 58 traffic lights, lotsa big trucks, Snobirds and it's ugly. Unless you want to hit a coast on the way up, come up the east side of Okeechobbee. Pleasant riding.

A cold snap can hit at any time pretty much through April, January generally is a bit brisk  except for being perfect in the Keys.  Highs here in Lake county average upper 60's in January. Rooms would be easier in January for spur of the moment type of itinerary. (My way to travel)

HTH.

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
You can hit the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola... Ft. Pickens and Ft. Barrancas too.  The NAS base there is the home of the Blue Angels, so you may get to see them training/flying around if you're lucky while kicking back on the beach... and speaking of beaches, from Pensacola down to Tampa/St. Pete, nothing but white sandy beaches. 

Some good brew and food @ McGuire's Pub.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline kreaky

• '98 Connie; '92 750 Nighthawk; '85 VF500F; '96 XR4
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »
The Don Garlits museum near Ocala is well worth your time. Exit 341 off I 75.
"Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 01:00:54 PM »
I think I forgot to post this:

http://www.floridasecrets.com/
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
Totally avoid the Orlando area at all costs. As soon as you get off the train, head for a coast. From sanford, the east coast is easiest. St Augustine is a must. No I mean MUST. Oldest city in the country, ton of history, and it's quaint! Daytona is cool, keys are cool, the beaches on the gulf side are the best. Cedar Key is cool. Riding isn't exciting like up in the mountains, but it beats snow every single day. Our winters can get kinda chilly from mid - state northward, But south of Orlando it's really pretty temperate year round. If you want to be able to enjoy the riding and scenic areas, check the calandar for when schools worldwide are having breaks - and don't come then!  :o HTH, Steve

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:02:03 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  We are getting more excited everyweek about going.  To bad we didn't get this planned for this winter.  We usually just do a spur of the moment plan where things can change at any time.  And as far as the weather, I am leaving for work every day at 3:30 AM in 20 degree temps so I am not to worried about Florida temps in the winter.  It will probably feel like summer to me.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
Looks like no one has mentioned the Kennedy Space Center complex. Very worthwhile to see and tour some incredible machinery and it's history. The vintage launch control bunker with the old reel computers will really make you wonder how they pulled it off.  You can spend a day here quite easily.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
Looks like no one has mentioned the Kennedy Space Center complex. Very worthwhile to see and tour some incredible machinery and it's history. The vintage launch control bunker with the old reel computers will really make you wonder how they pulled it off.  You can spend a day here quite easily.

that place is for really smart folks. Why were you there?  :shoot: :rotflmao: :stirpot: :thumbs:

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I was lost.  :o

While I was there, I found out they had a crew member run away, so I applied for the job. No call yet. Soon I hope :thumbs:

Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
  Ove the years, lots of crew members have run away from florida attractions - If you go to the ocala national forest along the Oklawaha river, there's several Troups of decendents from Crew members who ran away back in the 30's and 40's  8) Steve

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 06:18:25 AM »
Last yr before xmas it was 70 one day, the next 38  this Dec its been 70+.  Never know what this time of yr will bring. Prepair for hot and cold.