Author Topic: Down at the Gas Pump  (Read 3328 times)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
Down at the Gas Pump
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Never expected it to happen to me, but it did. I pulled in to the gas station, pulled up next to the pump. I was pushing the side stand down and began to lean it over and I apparently didnt push the stand down far enough. When I moved my foot to the pavement the stand popped back up and I was already leaning it over. When I realized what had happened it was already going down. I kept hold of her so it was a controlled drop, but it hit pavement. The scratches are not really that bad, but the lower cowling got the worst of it. The left mirror is minor, it is mostly on the dull black plastic below the painted panel. The left sadlle bag is minor, buffed most of it out. But the left lower cowling is noticible and being the non painted plastic, I dont know what I can do about it. Any idea's? I am pretty meticulous about keeping her clean and scratch free and the mirror and bag are within my tolerance level, but the cowling damage isnt. I guess I will be buying a new one if I cant think of anything else.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Re: Down at the Gas Pump
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:07:08 AM »
Glad it wasn't worse. Imagine you could get the new plastic from RonAyers.com.

Just sharing, no right answer I guess, but knowing low speed/no speed drops are the likely scenario, I never dismount to pump gas.  I'm THAT guy, that will forget to fully engage the side stand :-). 
Will

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 01:34:49 PM »
This was exactly my first drop. Wife wanted to get down and I thought I put the side stand down, but I did not. And down it went. I felt so bad. Although, my left bag against the concrete pedestal saved the entire bike from going down. Was not that lucky on my second drop.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »
Glad it wasn't worse. Imagine you could get the new plastic from RonAyers.com.

Just sharing, no right answer I guess, but knowing low speed/no speed drops are the likely scenario, I never dismount to pump gas.  I'm THAT guy, that will forget to fully engage the side stand :-).

Same here Roadie, I stay on the bike and keep it upright.
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Did the same thing yesterday.
Got home from work, put the side stand down and got off.  Side stand folded up and I was able to grab the bike and slow the descent.  No damage.

Where I park the bike, I have to ride near a landscaped border next to the driveway.  Near where I park, the wife placed a plant holder that holds a potted plant by a chain.  It's on a tall stake that goes into the ground.  I drove around it for a couple of days and finally told her she had to move it, she did but I didn't see where.

The next day, I leave for work at 0'dark thirty.  I made the turn from my parking space to the driveway (walking speed) and next thing I knew the bars were ripped out of my hands and I was laying in a rose bush with the bike on my leg.

She had moved the holder next to the driveway with the hanging basket over hanging into the driveway.  I didn't see it in the dark and it had grabbed my right bar.  I was stuck to the bush by the thorns but luckily I had a heavy armored jacket on.
Couple scratches to the right saddlebag and a broken rose bush.

All this in the past 3 months.   :-[