Author Topic: Gas Tank Rust Question  (Read 3534 times)

Offline UKFan

Gas Tank Rust Question
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »
Some time back there was an article about using rebar and a battery charger to in effect plate the inside of the tank.  Anyone know where to locate the article?  Should have printed and added to my notebook.......

Thanks,

Mike

Offline this is a rv

• This is a RV
Jack Gindra
X-COG #43

Offline UKFan

Re: Gas Tank Rust Question
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Jack,

Thanks.  That's what I was looking for.

Mike

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »
Interesting but why no pics of the finished tank?

Seems that the annode may have acted as a magnet for rust and that's all??
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:54 AM »
I read through the comments and the OP of the article didn't have a camera available when he was finished, hence no photos of the end product.   I read through it because my brother has a 1980 Suzuki 850 that he's going to bring back to life. (A great bike - I had one and regretted selling it until I got my 06).   The comments talk about neutralizing the tank and coating it to avoid future rust.   They also mention that the  process does remove some good metal, so be sure you have enough that you don't end up with a unexpected hole in your tank

Jeff
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

enim57

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
Learnt about this a while ago but keep forgetting to post. Molasses mixed with water will slowly and gently remove rust. It's an "old timer" trick used a lot in vehicle restoration. Vinegar will work also.

Read this:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/115028-rust-removal-molasses-2.html

Regards, Russell

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:45:16 PM »
Also google vinegar/salt rust removal.  Oxalic acid apparently is even better. 
Molasses aparently works well but I couldn't deal with that mess.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline lbreevesii

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
I've used the electrolysis method before. I found it pretty difficult to suspend an anoide of sufficient mass inside the tank.  If I had to do it on a tank that I care about the paint on,  i would chemical strip it with acid or another method.  If you don't care about the paint,  you can get a big rubbermaid tub,  fill it with water and sodium carbonate, and drop some steel rods into the tank as your anodes.  Much much easier,  but will separate the paint. 

Be forewarned,  this method works pretty well,  but its going to have a hard time knocking loose any heavy nodules of rust,  its more aimed at getting rid of relatively minor surface oxidation. 

Offline SlowSam

• 1987 C-10 sans plastic
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »
I've had my tank relined, and it was very reasonable, cost about 50U$. . . but that was several years ago.

I was thinking of replacing the tank, but I haven't found any "aftermarket" models for the C10.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, have had no takers/interest in purchasing my old '87 so I'm considering parting it out rather then ride it again for another frustrating season, and pick up another/something else.

Cheers,
Farkles: Fork Brace.  Braided steel lines.  Upgraded brakes; springs & pads.  Motor rebuilt by 4 & 6 Racing; flouroscoped/blueprinted 2000.  Looking to do more in the very near future.

Offline JDM

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:32 AM »
Some time back there was an article about using rebar and a battery charger to in effect plate the inside of the tank.  Anyone know where to locate the article?  Should have printed and added to my notebook.......

Thanks,

Mike

HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS A STICKY???????
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline JDM

If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline gaillarry

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »
1990 ZG100 - Winter restoration project