Author Topic: Run to the Black Hills (ok, maybe ride)  (Read 1367 times)

Offline BS-in-KS

Run to the Black Hills (ok, maybe ride)
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »
In 2 weeks my brother, dad and mom and I are riding north from McPherson, Kansas to the Black Hills area for a week of riding there and back.  I haven't set a definite route yet but the idea is to go westish and north to Devil's Tower first, then across east to the BH area and maybe even over to Badlands National Park for a day.  Might try stopping through Estes in Colorado on the way as we've not been there yet.  And Rushmore of course.

Does anybody have some thoughts on what else we might see while in the Black Hills or while on the way there and back?

Brent S.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Run to the Black Hills (ok, maybe ride)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »
Whatever you do or don't do, go here, at least twice:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54645-d514770-Reviews-Alpine_Inn-Hill_City_South_Dakota.html

Some of the good ones:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/sd_black.html

Something not highlighted, US16 from Custer to Newcastle WY is right decent.

You can pretty easily spend the week in the Hills area, especially with a couple of day trips(Badlands and Devils Tower), save the Rockies for another time, when you have the time to properly enjoy them.

BTW, hit Wall Drug while you are out in the Badlands. This tourist trap is an institution. Way cool, for a tourist trap.

Where ya staying?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline BS-in-KS

Re: Run to the Black Hills (ok, maybe ride)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Thanks Steve!
As for stays, my brother and I are planning to camp at KOA's or other camp facilities.  My mom and dad will be camping in hotels.  He claims he's too old to sleep on the ground and eat camp food! Oh well.