Author Topic: Mounting Avons  (Read 5730 times)

Offline SJFull

Mounting Avons
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:36 AM »
I just recieved new set of Avons.  Can't seem to see a sidewall mark.  Both have a white tag on the inside but nothing on the sidewalls.  Any advice on this and for the entire swap out (I will be trying this myself) would be appriciated. Thanks

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Mounting Avon's
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:01:10 AM »
Not all Avon's have a sidewall mark, new tire making tech allows for tires to be very well rounded and balanced and no longer in need of a sidewall mark.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:04:05 PM by knight_mare »

Offline SJFull

Re: Mounting Avons
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »
Thanks guys,  I plan on using dyna-beads to balance.  Any other gotcha's to be mindful of? Or good things to make sure to check since I have the whhels off?? 
Thanks again

Offline pat8228

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:10 AM »
I just mounted Avon venom's on my Concours last week. There was no marks on my sidewall either. there was a yellow mark on the inside of the tire. I don't think it's the same, but I went ahead and lined it up with valve stem just in case. I used the dynabeads in both front and back tires ( 2 oz in each ). Don't know if I like them or not. I have a little vibration in the bike that I didn't notice before replacing the tires. I have been thinking about taking the tires back off and dumping the beads out, and take it to the shop for balancing. It only will cost me $10 per wheel. Dyna beads cost me $16 plus shipping and tax. Ended up paying around $32 for them. I will ride for awhile long before I make a decision. Hope this helps.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
While it does require some extra work it helps to find the rims heavy point and mark it. Mount the tire without seating the beads to which you find the heavy point again and mark. Then try sliding the tire around to different locations on the rim to try and find a position that requires the least amount of weight; use tape to hold the weights in place as you play around.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »
Thanks guys,  I plan on using dyna-beads to balance.  Any other gotcha's to be mindful of? Or good things to make sure to check since I have the whhels off?? 
Thanks again

Corrosion around the bead seating area, and valve stem. Be sure to install a new valve stem too
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:04:09 PM by knight_mare »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »
Cheap tire lube is 90% water, 10% murphy oil soap.  I take a shot glass of the soap, dump it into a 12 ounce bottle, and fill to the neck with tap water.  Any left over after mounting the tires is good for cleaning grease off the bike.

Rim protectors always find a way to fall inside the wheel.  Attach strings to them and loosely secure one end of each string to a wheel spoke.

Grease the rear wheel splines under the coupling on the left side of the rear wheel.  Part 42034 is $140 new - ask me how I know.

Guys I can't read this white print...... Unless it is in a quote bar which is darker.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »
Guys I can't read this white print...... Unless it is in a quote bar which is darker.

I was thinking the same.  Hurts my eyes to even try!

BTW, thanks for the tip on rotating the tire on the rim, before seating the bead. 
Ive always found the heavy spot on the rim, but never goofed with the tires as most were marked...now I know what to try if they arent!

Also, I have used dynabeads in the past and liked them well enough.  On my VTX they cured a high speed vibration I had (80+)  that regular balancing wouldnt.  Or at least spin balancing. 
I have since gotten my own balancer, the cheapie looking type with the rod and cones.  Works wonderfully, and takes up almost no room. 
I doubt I get beads again when I change tires, just because its so easy with this balancer.
Say what?

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:04:13 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Well, now I am too!  I looked for a different theme before, but obviously didnt figure it out until now!
Say what?

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:04:16 PM by knight_mare »