Author Topic: WOW it's been a Loooong time....  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Jettn Jim

• NE PA Some on High Adventure Most!^)-
WOW it's been a Loooong time....
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
Hello everybody! Looks like the ol' ZG/GTR Fanatics has changed a bit since I've been gone....took me awhile to get back over here. Looks like I'm a NOOB again hahahahaha
I hope everyone is riding their brains out and had an AWESOME summer!
I picked up a KLR from SISF spring of last year and have been riding the wheels off it (36,000mi in the last year and am on the 3rd engine LOL) nothing left stock but the frame and swingarm.
The Connie's collecting a little dust and due for some miles too.
Here's a link to the ride report I'm currently finishing up over at ADV from this springs 4 month ride out west...it all started because I needed some back surgery  ;)
I've got about 4 weeks of the ride left to add.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671365
Peace JJ
BECAUSE ONE HAS SIGHT...DOES NOT MEAN ONE HAS VISION...

Offline jayke

Re: WOW it's been a Loooong time....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
That's a KLR?  You're right...not much stock left. 

I bought a leftover new '09 KLR in March.  Fun bike and great addition to the C14.

How do you go through 3 KLR motors in a year? 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
Hey Jim, welcome back.

You know that if you put oil in those things the motor will last a bit longer right?   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:01:54 PM »
That ride report is epic. Nice. I'll mention it to Steve when I see him next.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:01:07 PM »
jayke....Been running her HARD!  ::)  The first engine let go on the Dalton after laying her over a bunch to get at all the fuel.  I've got suspicions of what happened but need a little more free time to dig deeper and be sure .
The second engine was a used unit from a salvage yard that had metal in the filter housing from the get go... it lasted another 10,000mi before the big end of the rod bearing let go with some nice knocking.
Now running a 705cc big bore kit with headwork and LOVING IT!

Conrad... Thanx bud good to be back!  Dang is that what that stuffs for??? I was using it on my boots LOL :P  ;D

SteveJ. ...Thanx man it's been fun I'll tell ya...WoooHooo rode it to Deadhorse last fall and should do a report from that one too.  Though I think I'll put the 42,000mi on the Connie together with the KLR and do a 3yr summary RR.  Then next year try and Ride the World... got a plan brewing if I can get away from North America!   We've got soooo much GREAT riding here ya know it's hard to leave! 

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
Wow Jim - power to ya! I checked in on that thread, looks like "mountains and chicks across the US" Verrry cool! I don't know where you get the energy from - amazing! Enjoy it for all of us, you're livin' the dream! Steve

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »
Awesome read!!  Ever been to Wannacut Lake?  20 acres and building my dream cabin.  I have access to a road you may not have been on, it's to a hidden valley with several lakes and real solitude.  I'd sure like to hook up someday, I like your karma, just wish I could follow on half your adventures on my slightly modded '05 KLR.  Lots of great roads all around the Tonasket area and on up to Ellemeham Mountain, I have a spot that overlooks Palmer Lake, call Top of the World, sheer cliff and an awesome DS road to ride and lots of tasty grouse along the way.  Drop me a line next time you are in town, I'm currently living on the Wet Side, but make regular trips East.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
Great read Jim, thanks for posting!

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:44:28 AM »
Thanx for the support guys sure been fun!
-Steve thanx for the bike it sure fits the bill for my kinda touring "Two thumbs up"

-Spanky your welcome glad I could find this forum again.... I shoulda prob just copy pasted the report over here anyway instead of the link...

-Son of Pappy LOL!  I spent MANY many many weekends on Palmer growing up Silvers and Perch in the last few years some BIG smallmouths too.  ;D  Yup been to Wannacut but spent most of the time down the road on Spectacle catching SLAB Crappie in the 70's.... aaah the good ol' days.  So you r cabin is above Wannacut?   Not over on Chopaka side... Yup to the tasty grouse  "Thumbs up!"  Big Horn rams over on the cliffs too! Lotsa great riding all over that neck a the woods....
HEAVEN I tell ya!
I'll prob be out again this winter (gotta get my bird hunt'n fix in!) so I'll have to look you up prob be bring'n the van though with ski's gotta get back to Loop Loop.
Thanx for the memories!!!
Peace JJ

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
JJ, Just started reading your RR (about 4 hours ago) and couldn't stop smiling!!!!

I love the story, the pics, the music, and mostly the free spirit to go where you choose...on 2 wheels.

You may have motivated me to put some knobs on the DR and hit the 'trail'. ;)

Thanks for sharing, and blessings to you.
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
JJ, you mean these guys? ;)

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
JJ, Just started reading your RR (about 4 hours ago) and couldn't stop smiling!!!!

I love the story, the pics, the music, and mostly the free spirit to go where you choose...on 2 wheels.

You may have motivated me to put some knobs on the DR and hit the 'trail'. ;)

Thanks for sharing, and blessings to you.
Thanx Roger it's nice to hear all the hours working on the RR are able to motivate someone to get out here!  ;)
I appreciate the positive feedback  :thumbs:
Peace my Brother

Offline Jettn Jim

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
JJ, you mean these guys? ;)
Yup ol' boy.... NICE PICS!  :chugbeer: