Author Topic: Murphs Grips  (Read 3025 times)

Offline anycleavers

Murphs Grips
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
Well bought a pair of Murphs grips Now I haven't done this in a long time, am I missing anything?

Cut off old grips carefully
clean bars 'till clean (alcohol?)
liquid soap and water and slide them on and let dry

What about the bar ends? Do I need to cut the grips out to reinstall them?

Thanks from someone that's half smart when it comes to things like this.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Murphs Grips
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »
Well bought a pair of Murphs grips Now I haven't done this in a long time, am I missing anything?

Cut off old grips carefully
clean bars 'till clean (alcohol?)
liquid soap and water and slide them on and let dry

What about the bar ends? Do I need to cut the grips out to reinstall them?

Thanks from someone that's half smart when it comes to things like this.

Yes Alcohol might work, but you might not need it. I also use Scotts grip glue I think its called. Keeps them from sliding later. Yes you will most likely need to trim to make them fit and if they have caps you'll need to cut them off to install your end caps. Plus many have suggested using compressed air to install them instead of soapy water.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline shiney

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »
When installing my grips from Murph, I used brake clean to get the old glue and whatnot off. Thought "why not" and sprayed a little down a grip and whoosh, slipped it on like it was greased. Less than 5 minutes later it was stuck like glue. This was with non-chlorinated "fast flash off" stuff. Works like a charm as long as the grips are soft rubber.

Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
If you don't have compressed air. Hair spray works well for installing the grips. Then when they sit for a little bit, the hair spray dries like a glue!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »
No to the soap and water; use compressed air or cheap Aqua-Net (Blue can) hair spray. A sprits with brake-kleen or contact cleaner should work too.

Yes you have to cut out circles on the ends of the grips so as to put the bar-weights back on.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Ranger

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
I just did this with my 02 Connie and Murph's grips. I did not want to ruin the old grips, so to get the old ones off without cutting them I first slipped a thin screwdriver in under the old grips so I could insert a WD40 red stem inside there and give it just a little squirt and the old ones loosened up just fine and slipped right off in good shape.

Now, to put the new ones on first you must completely clean off the WD40 by using a little alcohol or whatever and a clean rag. To install the new ones,.. first using an exacto knife carefully cut the ends off just outside the lip (for bar ends). Then all I did was use some plain rubbing alcohol to completely moisten the inside of the new grips and promptly slide them on. They went on very easy and then just wait about 2 hours for the alcohol to evaporate and your good to go. I don't think you need to use glue. I didn't and they are on very firm. I would not use any kind of soap or any other lubricant (other than the alcohol) to install them. :thumbs:
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)