Author Topic: The Future of th C14  (Read 29923 times)

Offline katata1100

Re: The Future of th C14
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2018, 05:11:55 PM »
You left out crazy high insurance premiums.

Offline teqnc2

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
So, I just went and did a quick google to get more info about the H2 SX.

I love the engine. I hate the rest of it.

I love my '08 C14, but my only concern is a wish that it had better mpg. If they were to put that new supercharged 1000 into the C14 frame, I would consider that to be the perfect bike.

Offline Akumu

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
H2 SX was never meant to be anything like a C14. Meant as a Sport Touring ZX14R replacement. LOTS of ZX-14(R) are bagged out, bar risered, taller windscreened bike. Basically an inline 4 VFR with 100 more hp.

If you want a C14 that gets better mileage you're best off with a 12+ C14, with it's ECO thingy and a proper flash. I've read mid 40s are quite common. I'm cool with 39-43mpg on my 08.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »
My ‘11 has a flash but the thing that really help mpg was the mccruise. That , when used with eco, gives me an easy 50+ mpg. I’ll take her on a five day trip in July and will report back on mpg.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2018, 07:01:02 AM »

If you want a C14 that gets better mileage you're best off with a 12+ C14, with it's ECO thingy and a proper flash. I've read mid 40s are quite common. I'm cool with 39-43mpg on my 08.

I would agree with this. My 08 was the same as yours. My 13 with Steve's flash is mid to upper 40s with about 30 to 50 extra miles a tank running mid grade instead of premium on these flat Indiana roads depending on my twitchy wrist. When I make it down to my wife's homeland in Southeast Ohio I run premium and enjoy the curves, hills and wrist action which changes my gas consumption profile.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Wickedsprint

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
Love Kawasakis and my C14. If the H2SX is around in 3-4 years when I decide to upgrade, it could easily fill the role of my C14 for how I utilize the bike...something slightly more comfy than a sportbike but with enough thrust to be engaging.

...if it’s insurable. 

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
Love Kawasakis and my C14. If the H2SX is around in 3-4 years when I decide to upgrade, it could easily fill the role of my C14 for how I utilize the bike...something slightly more comfy than a sportbike but with enough thrust to be engaging.

...if it’s insurable.

You just described the Concours perfectly... at least in my opinion anyway.

...ok, a lot more comfortable than a sport bike, but otherwise perfect!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »
I stopped by a Honda dealer looking for riding pants. The sales guy obviously tracked me down and asked what I was riding. I told him a 2011 C-14 With 70,000 miles and and 2019 Versys SE LT plus. We talked for a long time mainly what this thread is about. What is the future of Sport Touring and why is it only old guys buying these bikes?  I called him out that Honda ditched the ST-1300. And his quick reply was there it is and pointed to their Gold Wing on the floor. That is Honda’s sport tourer. He went on to say that in the past year he had three VERY high mileage C-14’s traded in for Gold Wings. I think this speaks to the fact the C-14 owners like their motorcycles and pile on the miles. When it comes to buying a new bike they are choosing new technologies like the Gold Wing. The Gold Wing is not my first thought for a Sport Tourer, but I can see why other C-14 owners see why it suits their needs. Read Kawasaki is losing sales because their bikes are behind in tech. I stuck with Kawasaki with the Versys because I wanted to keep my C-14 but get some more tech.  C-14 riders switching to even bigger bikes sort of goes opposite to guys that are aging want smaller lighter rides.
Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
I called him out that Honda ditched the ST-1300. And his quick reply was there it is and pointed to their Gold Wing on the floor. That is Honda’s sport tourer.

They can think that all they want.  But I am guessing perhaps none of us (including me) think the Gold Wing is a "Sport Tourer".  Tourer, yes.  Grand Tourer, yes.  It is far to huge and heavy to fit the class.  But, ya know, on the other end of the spectrum, manufacturers take a sport bike and put heated grips on it and move the pegs back a bit and call THAT a sports tourer.  Hmm.

When it comes to buying a new bike they are choosing new technologies like the Gold Wing.

There isn't much choice anymore.  The C14 is ancient tech now, 12 years old, built on technology of the 14-year-old ZX-14.  That it is still relevant is a testament to just how good it really was/is.  And no, there is nothing wrong with the wonderful dual analog displays- but no cornering lights, mostly non-LED, few ride modes, small B&W single-mode screen, lack of cruise, non heated-seat, no closed-loop FI, etc, does matter now to customers.

The Gold Wing is not my first thought for a Sport Tourer

Because it isn't one :)

Read Kawasaki is losing sales because their bikes are behind in tech.

Bingo.

C-14 riders switching to even bigger bikes sort of goes opposite to guys that are aging want smaller lighter rides.

Again, we have only one choice left in our class- the Yamaha FJR.  It has some updated tech, but is still not to the level of the ancient C14 in many ways.  So if you don't like that choice, you will soon have no choice- you either go smaller which lacks "tour" (missing: long wheelbase, copious storage, great wind protection, shaft drive, reliability, power windscreen, smoothness, long warranty, etc), or larger, which lacks "sport" (missing: lighter weight, great performance, considerable lean angle, more aggressive posture).  :(

Depressing topic for me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2019, 06:39:23 AM »
I've seen it go both ways as well.  Some go lighter, some go heavier.  I went heavier.  I wanted more comfort and integrated cruise control.

The GW is not a sport tourer.  Never has been, never will be.  However. I have had friends in the past with GWs outride true sport touring bikes.  A lot depends on the rider.

The C14 is one of the best kept secrets of the sport touring group.  It's fairly inexpensive and has extreme performance.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline texasdw

« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2019, 08:08:48 AM »
This is an interesting discussion.  I've been struck by what the manufacturers are now calling "sport tourer."  It seems Kawasaki wants to convince people that the Versys.  I don't see the Versys as anything remotely like a "sport" tourer.

The sport bike segment doesn't seem to be losing any popularity.  I'm befuddled that as those riders age they don't move toward something like the FJ, Connie, or even the RT.  I'm not sure what they're moving to really.  It does seem that the folks who tend to ride the Concours are indeed an older segment.  As much as I resist, I do fall into that demographic.  Nevertheless...my other bike is a Road King, and I can tell you that my three daughters - all in their 20s approve of my C14 as a "cool" bike.  Not so much the RK.  Of course, they don't ride.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2019, 03:46:43 AM »
Until recently I rode to and from work every day. For that I needed a comfy quiet fast bike, like the C10/C14, and they shared the duties.
Now that I no longer commute by bike, my needs are different, so the C10 is now my tourer thanks to it's Russell Daylong, bar risers, Rifle screen, etc.
The C14 is now my sportsbike as I simply don't fit on smaller bikes (and even the C14 is not as comfy as I'd like).
I've tried the H2 SX (torture rack), the Versys 1000 (better but not suited to my build), and a couple of other Kawis.
The best fit ergonomically are the K1600GT and the Wing, but I'm not yet ready to give up the sound and excitement for a Grandpa bike.  :popcorn:
The R1250RT or R1250GS are possibles, but even with more power than the 1150/1200, that engine is just too bland.

Of course the other option is to buy a used bike that is what you want.
There are plenty of used C10s & C14 out there.  :thumbs:

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2019, 04:49:05 AM »
Grandpa bike???  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2019, 05:48:06 AM »
Of course the other option is to buy a used bike that is what you want. There are plenty of used C10s & C14 out there.  :thumbs:

It is discontinued there (well, everywhere except here and Canada).  But I have still not heard any "official" word there won't be a 2020.  Has anyone heard/seen otherwise yet?  I was very surprised last year when there was a 2019...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2019, 06:16:10 AM »
Don’t discount the 2019 Versys as a sport tourer now that Kawasaki made it into strictly a road bike.  Many reviews call it a sport tourer.  Owning this one and the C-14, I can say that the Versys is sportier through the turns, but the C-14 has more power hands down.  If I were touring, the Versys is just as capable (smaller saddle bags at 28 L) as the C-14, and with the cruise control, perhaps even the better option for long overnight trips.  On the Versus you sit more upright and the handlebars are wider.  I believe for very long rides the Versys is more comfortable, and the wind protection is adequate.   But dang, I still like the C-14 and will be keeping it.  It's hard to explain, but the C-14 is obviously faster, but the Versys seems like it has more torque and and is quicker off the throttle.  The up and down quick shifter may be part of that. 
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2019-Versys-1000-SE-LT-Plus?cm_re=CATEGORYLANDING-_-PRODUCTTHUMBNAIL-_-PRODUCTDETAILS

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »
The ZX14 is being discontinued so the 2020 model will be the last one. I would imagine the Connie will also be discontinued, unless they sell a shed load of them this year, but I could be wrong. The C14 was discontinued in 2017 over here.

I'm discounting the Versys 1000 because it is physically too small for me (6'4", 400lbs). The motor and handling is good, most of the rest is adequate, the side-bags, weather protection and comfort are poor (for me) and it failed to excite me. If I were in the market for that kind of bike it might be an R1250GS but more likely a KTM 1290 SuperAdventure S as it has the C14's power, torque and gas mileage in a lighter taller package.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2019, 09:20:51 AM »
Boomer, I can see why your requirements force you to a larger bike.  When you park the Versys 1000 next to the C-14, the Versus appears to be larger.  The seat height is a bit higher, they are the same length, and the Versys overall is taller.  If I recall, the Versys is 130 pounds lighter. 

Offline dvitous

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
Unfortunately, the "future of motorcycles" requires me to grow about 4".  The C14 feels like a stretch over my C10, and I'd need 3" platform shoes to touch the ground on a Versys  :P   Not just with Kaw.. but a lot of the bike mfgrs out there.
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline 4Bikes

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
The Versys does "squish" down when you sit on it due to the longer travel compared to the C-14.  Once you get on it, you might find yourself flat footing?   I'm 6' 1" so not an issue for me, but I totally get what you are saying. 

Offline olie

« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »
I have both.... I will give YTD numbers... rode the C14 over 10k miles, rode the V1k less than 2k miles. Planing a ride newt week of about 2k miles.... you guessed right, C14 all the way.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette