Author Topic: Thoughts on the Bell Revolver  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Thoughts on the Bell Revolver
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
I just bought a Bell Revolver, it will be my first modular helmet and I was wondering if anyone that has experience with one had anything to say.  The reviews seem ok on them but for $120 I figured that I would take a shot and see how it works.  I ordered a XL in white since I normally wear an XL in my Scorpion.  I was also looking at the HJC Symax III and Scorpion EXO900 but decided to get the more affordable version.  Plus the thought of getting the auto tinting shield (another $120) kind of made it appealing.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Strawboss

Re: Thoughts on the Bell Revolver
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
Looks good, great deal. I've always liked the modular concept as I need glasses to ride and drive. But I just can't get past what I would call the weak link in the system and that being the front chin bar. In my opinion only I can't imagine a lock strong enough to withstand a direct hit as speed and stay secured. Again my opinion only. Nolan I think makes a double lock, thats better, but I still have that in my brain. Let us know how it is.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
Strawboss. I've worn a couple of Nolan Modular for the past 10 years & I wear glasses & love it for just the reason you gave. Hope I never learn how strong the chinbar is, but, you never know......
Jeremy, I've started looking for a new modular helmet. Let me know how that one looks & fits, although the Nolan fits my head shape well. Can't really argue with the price point of the Bell.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
Strawboss. I've worn a couple of Nolan Modular for the past 10 years & I wear glasses & love it for just the reason you gave. Hope I never learn how strong the chinbar is, but, you never know......
Jeremy, I've started looking for a new modular helmet. Let me know how that one looks & fits, although the Nolan fits my head shape well. Can't really argue with the price point of the Bell.

I looked at the Nolan N103/N104 also.  To me they are just a little to much vanilla, the Bell has a sporty look that doesn't scream "GoldWing".   ;D  I know it is stupid to base very much of a decision about a helmet on how it looks but I guess I am just a little vain. 

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 04:58:38 PM »
Yeah, the Nolan was the only one I considered, I liked the internal sunscreen that flipped down and the removable liner. I did not do any research on whether or not Snell or DOT tested the chinbar mechanism on any of the modulars, but obviously being certified means they must have done something.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
Not the best reviews on that helmet, would give the HJC a try. I am not a fan of modular helmets at all, too noisy and heavy.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline W14

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Considered the Bell Revolver back in fall of last year when Motorcycle Superstore was selling for less than $100 (may have been $79). Did not buy because of the poor reviews by users. I recently purchased a white (for visibility) Scropion EXO 900. I like the features on the EXO 900. You can flip it up to talk or drink something. You can also can it to a three-quarters helmet if desired, a useful feature in the hot weather. There are probably other helmets that are quieter. It is also heavy but I am used to that.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
I tried a Revolver but just couldn't bring myself to buy a modular. I ended up with a Bell Vortex on clearance. It took a bit of fitting and a set of new cheek pads but I got it where it fit really well. The photochromatic visor I added to it is the **** though! At $120 it is a bit pricey but after riding with it for several months, it is well worth the $$$. After having it, I am going to be stuck buying Bell helmets from now on unless someone else starts offering a similar shield.

Matt

'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »
Made in China.
Lot's of HJC and KBC helmets are as well now, but not my first choice in a manufacturing site for something as important as my helmet.

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
Have had a couple of Bell products and was satisfied with them, saw the Bell Revolver had everything I was looking for in a helmet, ordered an XL arrived looked great, was extremely tight, like fish face tight.
Tried several time's to make it work on the Connie but it was just so noisy w/ turbulence that I just could not tolerate it, even with the taller Euro cut windshield, tried it on the DR650, same results good till about 50 mph then, so loud it sucked the fun out of riding.
Hope it works for you, as it is a nice looking lid w/ good features and a great price.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »
Have had a couple of Bell products and was satisfied with them, saw the Bell Revolver had everything I was looking for in a helmet, ordered an XL arrived looked great, was extremely tight, like fish face tight.
Tried several time's to make it work on the Connie but it was just so noisy w/ turbulence that I just could not tolerate it, even with the taller Euro cut windshield, tried it on the DR650, same results good till about 50 mph then, so loud it sucked the fun out of riding.
Hope it works for you, as it is a nice looking lid w/ good features and a great price.

Any hearing protection or head phones/speakers used with it?  I have heard that adding the chin curtain also helps alot with the wind noise. 

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
No hearing protection, did not put the Sena on it.
Have another Bell not the Revolver, no issues.

Wanted this one to work, really hope your experience is a lot better.