Author Topic: Need suspension advice!  (Read 6962 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
Need suspension advice!
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »
  I bought my bike late last fall a 2012 late production bike I was told.  Most of my riding has been in coll to cold temp's until this last few days. Just under 2300 miles so far.  My general feel is the front end is starting to loosen up nicely but the rear just doesn't feel right, it feels like the rear is taller than it should be.  I stock seat had to go and initially I bought a Baldwin GT saddle, Liked the saddle but still left with the feeling I was rocking forward too much on throttle transitions.  Sold the Baldwin and had Laam build me a seat, better but still not perfect.  I decided to check rear preload.  I first removed all adjustment from the rear but left the rear damping a 3/4 a turn out from full as it was. Now hear is the kicker, and I checked this a few times, my sag with my big 240 lb ass on the bike was ( 1 5/8 inch)  40mm!
    I have 14mm preload on the front fork dialed in and I need to do some checks there but I road last week with 12mm front preload and it road hard but that could have been because it was 37 degrees.

My question is could the suspension still be breaking in? A good friend and the one who schooled me how to ride said to soften the rear preload and  ride untill the suspension loosen's up.  I would expect more sag in the rear with ZERO preload.   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:13:05 PM by maxtog »
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Neede suspension advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:29:59 AM »
We've found the rear suspension to be a bit stiff when new, at least it was on mine.  2300 miles isn't enough to loosen it up.  I'm thinking mine felt better around 10k miles but that was awhile ago and the memory (mine) isn't what it used to be.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline con05

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »
At least 5,000 for my 2011 before I noticed the improvement.
Silver 2011 C-14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
Haul a big gal around and speed up the process  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »
Unfortunately, I had the same thought but I kept it to myself...until now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »
    To Jim and Steve,
    I intend to follow your advice.

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
Oil thickens when it is cold. Had this issue on my previous bike "Triumph sprint ST" Changed oil to "Ohlins"oil which they use in snow mobiles,  is designed for extreme cold conditions and does not thicken as other oils. You might think the bike is breaking in but it is probably getting warmer so the settings will feel softer. ( tell me what you think in the height of summer)

Very interesting....  all the advise that has been given about setups (on this site). I have found it caused me issues because they did not work for me. The only way I set up my bike is to forget all the settings and setup up from scratch.

Here are my discoveries on my newly acquired 2009 (7,500 miles,12,000klm).
Bought (4 weeks ago second hand)....  went 2up touring with luggage and liked the bike. Went for a ride (solo) with my brother with and his bike (Honda blackbird CBX1100) and hatted the C14, thought I had made a BIG mistake, wished I had not sold the Triumph.

So... this is what I did..setup the bike for solo (I am 85Kg/187Lbs). Setup Rider sag to manuals recommendations 12x clicks(same as 6x full turns) and the bike had 22mm RIDER Sag!!!!!.... This is Way.... too much. Turned the Preload all the way off and got to 30mm which shocked me.. this is on the upper end of touring bike rear sag (more like racing bike setups).  So I have settled on NO preload and have 30mm Rider Sag.  I then held the bike at the rear and bounced it with 1 /1/4 turns rebound and the rear was way too hard(too slow return). turned the rebound ALL.. the way off (3x turns) and this felt like my Triumph with "Ohlins" rear shock.

FRONT preload setup for 30mm bike sag ( ended up 10mm preload) and 37mm (33% of Total front travel (113mm ) me on the bike.  I am happy with this. (Frt) REBOUND:- bounced the front and found too hard. Settled on 6x clicks.

The Test ride today:- WOW!!!!.... what a difference, the bike is handling beautifully ,it is compliant, turns WAY... quicker, soak up the bumps,  now as good, if not better than my Triumph Sport Tourer. What a surprise! (pleasant one)

Summary is:-  SETUP THE BIKE based on the fundamentals of Suspension;-  FIRST:-  setup Preload front and rear.  Then bring up the rebound to keep the springs in check. (Use as little rebound as possible, this is where the compliance comes from).

I will do this same exercise 2up if any one is interested, which will be my next task.
I hope this helps someone puzzled about setting up the Connie

PS Tyre pressure Frt 42psi/ Rear 42psi    Test Temp 20℃ / 68℉
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:27:43 PM by XR6 »
2009 ABS Black, AreaP carbon, K&N air filter, PC V, Flies Out.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Xr6       thanks for your detailed reply.  I wonder how many others are riding around with the wrong setup. I will do some tests with the damping lowered in the rear.  I have a feeling getting the rear corrrct is key to comfort. I talked to the people at Sonic Springs and they indicated the later c14 had near perfect front springs and that may be why 5mm preload seems correct.  Getting the rear right may change this .  Thanks again.
Walt

Offline texrider

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »
I found all the springs on my '09 too stout for much if any preload. At 210 solo, I run zero preload on rear, and 6 lines showing on forks. I vary the rebound somewhat, depending on the roads and speeds. It never bottoms out either end, but if you get too loose on the rebound the bike tends to po-go in the fast going.

The so-called stock 150 lb settings are so harsh that my back will be killing me even on short rides. Also helps to run the tires a few pounds under the factory 42.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 04:02:42 PM »
Hi Guys,
This is getting more and more interesting. I see the the rear spring is softer on the 2010 up wards models. This is why its is important to do the measurements for "you" and "your own bikes". Swapping numbers of "clicks" does not help, if the manufacturer is changing things... and there are variables in production.  Hence why I found the numbers of "clicks advice"not working for me and our bike. It is very easy to adjust the rear rebound with a screw driver to take out the "bong" (pogoing) in the rear if needed  when you are out riding the bike.
2009 ABS Black, AreaP carbon, K&N air filter, PC V, Flies Out.

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
So looking at the manual for my 2010, it does not mention anything about setting sag or what not. They only seem to mention settings for the whopping 150lb rider. Since I am chiseled 260# Adonis, what would my settings be?

I do know this. I have not touched my suspension, and it has felt very stiff since I bought it. When I go over a bump it hurts...I need a little more "gush" to it, but I don't know if that is preload or dampening?  I am also not sure how to accurately set my sag. I wonder if I should just max everything out and then back it off from where it was?

Oh, Chiseled may have been a bit extreme.

And that Adonis part? that was a lie, sorry.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
It's "damping".  Sorry, pet peeve of mine.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 04:11:50 AM »
Has the OP looked in the Wiki area under suspension?  That may have some relevant information.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=33.0

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
Ok, I set my rear for 0 preload and no damping whatsoever.  I must say I like it!  The front is 6 lines showing and the damping is 10 clicks out.  I like that as well but may tune some more on the damping.  Only rode about 20 miles with it like that but the bike is much smoother on the roads and the twisty riding is still good.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »
I finally put on the Pirelli Angel GT tires from the promotion last summer.  I got tired of adding air to the rear tire every time I ride due to a small leak in a plug.  Was running Angel ST's before and these feel great, then again new tires will anyway.  I tried the setting of zero preload and zero damping in the rear and it rides so much smoother.  Have the same settings up front that is also recommended and it feels great.  210 lbs with gear. 

I ride mostly leisurely and do not push it too hard, if I go somewhere with spirited riding I may have to change things.