Author Topic: People that own BOTH the C10 and the 14... do you exist?  (Read 10225 times)

Offline Brad Baerwald

People that own BOTH the C10 and the 14... do you exist?
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
Do any of you out there own both... I'd own a 14 if I could afford one.  It does however seem that the "14" guys are a different breed than us C10 guys... Or is that just my imagination?   If you do exist, would you share your opinions or ideas? (and yes I know that's a bit vague) I'm just curious.
I'm just doing the best I can, with the little bit I got!

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
Re: People that own BOTH the C10 and the 14... do you exist?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
I have owned both, but now only the C14. 

What are you wanting to hear about?   

I can only think of 2 benefits to the C10.  Better weather protection and my savings account balance. 

Otherwise I find the  C14 to be far superior for my taste.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »
It does however seem that the "14" guys are a different breed than us C10 guys... Or is that just my imagination?   

Never owned a C10...but my impressions are (generally speaking) that the C10 guys are friendlier and thriftier. So you can expect them to wave and invite you to their table, but you'll be picking up your own check.  ;D

Personally I like most of both groups. ;)

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 01:56:22 PM »
I've owned both, but not at the same time. I bought my 2008 the day after I sold my 2006.

Other than the aforementioned weather protection, the C14 is better in every way. It's a twenty year newer design with twenty year newer technology.

I think the average C10 owner is probably older, and has owned the bike for a long time. They really like their C10's, and don't find any need or desire to even try something different, as the C10 suits them and their needs just fine. They are comfortable with their bikes, and may be uncomfortable with the new fangled technology and features that the C14 has. ECU controlled fuel injection isn't needed, carbs work just fine, thank you. KIPASS? An un-needed complication.

My guess is that the average C14 owner has a higher disposable income, and is less interested in saving every penny. The C10 owner isn't as interested in performance, they are just happy to get to where they are going at a nice, moderate pace. The C14 owner likely rates the bikes performance as one of it's best qualities.

Nothing wrong with either outlook on their bikes, they are just somewhat different.

At least that is my take on it!

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 05:05:04 AM »
Cool,  Thanks !

Never owned a C10...but my impressions are (generally speaking) that the C10 guys are friendlier and thriftier. So you can expect them to wave and invite you to their table, but you'll be picking up your own check.  ;D

Personally I like most of both groups. ;)
Fartymarty

Dude that is too funny!

It makes sense that nobody has both at the same time.  I would if I could afford a C14 (own both at the same time that is) but my wife has told be I can only keep 2 at a time!

Being a Tech hound myself... the 2 I'd own would be a ZX14 (or an older Busa cause the new ones are BUTT ugly!!!)  I also wouldn't throw a ZX12 out of the garage either (GOD that bike is SEXY)  and bike #2 would be ...the C14!    Kawasaki does a better job than anybody at doing a TRUE "sport-tour" bike I LOVE my ZX11!! and while it looks like a crotch rocket  I can ride that for HOURS at a time and I'm 52yrs old (matter of fact I do every sunday (weather permitting) 180 mile round trip!  they call that bike a "sport-tour" bike and personally I agree!  The guys with GXR's and the R-1's can't do that (that I've seen)  the ZX11 needs no "hydrolic dampers" on the steering and might be the THE most "stable road bike I've EVER owned!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
currently own both, and at one point had 2 C10's and the C14.... and a 78 KZ1000Ltd....
my tablet battery is almost dead, ilnrespond when I charge it up...

picture below...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:14:45 AM »
Wow great news guys (I was reading a little of this to my wife just a moment ago and she revised her statement)

"No... I said you could only keep 2 BROKEN Bikes at a time... ha ha ha"

I said " really?...than I can have more!" 

So now just need to get more clients in here so I can do just that! :banana

MOB, I should have known you'd be the exception and maybe Steve OSF too?  but I was talking about us "mortal men"...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »
In 2004 I bought a VTX 1300S. On the show room floor sitting right next to the VTX was a C10 for about the same price. I remember sitting on it and thinking maybe I should get this instead. Absolutely should have. The VTX was not bad for what it was, a cheap Harley want to be. Less than a year later I replaced the VTX with a used Valkyrie and gave the VTX to my son. I might sill have that C10 had I bought that. Probably not because once I rode a C14 I had to have one.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 02:43:01 PM »
I've owned both, but not at the same time. I bought my 2008 the day after I sold my 2006.

Other than the aforementioned weather protection, the C14 is better in every way. It's a twenty year newer design with twenty year newer technology.

I think the average C10 owner is probably older, and has owned the bike for a long time. They really like their C10's, and don't find any need or desire to even try something different, as the C10 suits them and their needs just fine. They are comfortable with their bikes, and may be uncomfortable with the new fangled technology and features that the C14 has. ECU controlled fuel injection isn't needed, carbs work just fine, thank you. KIPASS? An un-needed complication.

My guess is that the average C14 owner has a higher disposable income, and is less interested in saving every penny. The C10 owner isn't as interested in performance, they are just happy to get to where they are going at a nice, moderate pace. The C14 owner likely rates the bikes performance as one of it's best qualities.

Nothing wrong with either outlook on their bikes, they are just somewhat different.

At least that is my take on it!

this is a great post!  :finger_fing11:

I own both. of course my c-10, Shoodaben, isn't very stock.  If it was, the divide between the 2 bikes would be even greater for me. I also owned an '09 previous to the '12 I currently have, and of the 2 I prefer the 12. More refined in heat control, and a few extra electronic abilities, like traction control.
  So my opinion is that the 14's are superior in every aspect except weather protection and ease of maintenance. ABS may save my butt one, day, but an electronic gremlin might strand me in timbuktu. If you're a decent wrench you'll get home with a c-10, it won't strand you. While I'll likely never get rid of Shoodaben, I'm really growing fond of my '12. Fortunately I can justify owning both bikes.  :banana : Steve