Author Topic: 2012 c-14 key fob  (Read 3265 times)

Offline doglover12008

2012 c-14 key fob
« on: July 03, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »
I need a key fob for my 2012 c 14 anyone have one for sale? Danny or does anybody know the cheapest way to get one

Offline connie_rider

Re: 2012 c-14 key fob
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
I have heard that you can't buy a used FOB and have it reprogrammed for your bike.
But, that statement also had some disagreement.

Good luck in your search.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »
Be careful if buying a used fob (a full size, full function fob with a battery inside it) for a C-14: you will need the code that come on the package it was shipped in or the bike cannot be programmed to recognize it. This is especially true if buying one on Ebay or similar. Most of us who bought C-14's new did NOT get the packaging that came with the original fobs so their resale value is really quite low.

There is another facet to all of this and that is the RFID portion of the fob but I would basically ignore that unless you understand and accept that a full- function fob will not be fully functional without that code number from the packaging.

A new, full- function fob is fairly expensive in the $250 to $300 range and you will need to add programming costs from the dealer to that price- the going price seems to be about 1/2 hour of labor.

A much less expensive alternative is an emergency or credit- card fob which only costs about $35 new. Unfortunately, you have to hold these types of fobs against the ignition switch boss to have them work; they will not work at any distance such as when in your pocket or similar.

Brian

I need a key fob for my 2012 c 14 anyone have one for sale? Danny or does anybody know the cheapest way to get one
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline doglover12008

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
Thanks brain for the good information. I guess I'm going to the dealer.I just need to stop thinking about how a lost key is gonna cost me 300 plus dollars outch! Regard danny

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 05:22:23 AM »
Think instead how much it will cost if you lose your last one.  ;)

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »

There is another facet to all of this and that is the RFID portion of the fob but I would basically ignore that unless you understand and accept that a full- function fob will not be fully functional without that code number from the packaging.

Brian

Thanks for this detail about the code on the packing. I'll take a picture and email it to myself because it'll soon fade and be unreadable. You would think for the price of a auxiliary FOB they would include a key blank.
I've practiced with the credit card fob and it only works one way up against the ignition.
Cheers
Doug