Author Topic: Wiring aux. lights  (Read 4285 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Wiring aux. lights
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
I am trying to wire in a set of small (inexpensive for now) driving lights and am trying to find what is the best place to wire into. I found the 2 aux wires under the left side cover but wanted to have a switched led for the power. Ideas....

Also, I now have a 400 miles on the bike in the last 2 weeks and have noticed that it is now surging a bit and seems to have a rattling sound at idle. Now I know that it is a mechanical system and some of it may be just the sounds of the bike but it seems louder now then on my first ride. I am having the carbs sync next week in hope to have the idle issue cleared and will be doing the valve adjustments myself as well along with trying to find out why my cooling fan works a but on and off-ish.

Any ideas would be great. thanks

Offline ddavid

Re: Wiring aux. lights
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:39:56 PM »
I ran power from undeer the fairing to two switches mounted on the panel above the left "glove box". One controls driving lights the other my gps power. Eastern beaver http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Switches/switches.html is where I got the switches, connectors etc.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:07 AM »
For the wiring, set yourself up with an auxiliary fuse block with a relay controlled by the blue wire out of the Jbox.

A sync is not going to fix carbbie or noise issues. You're new here, educate yourself on "hydrolock".

Oh, and welcome.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:09:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies and I will start the learning curve.......

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »
Your "rattling" noise; depending on how loud it is could be your valves.  We have a saying around here that "tappy valves are happy valves".  Your engine should sound like an old typewriter at idle.  If its louder than that it could be your alternator. There are a few posts about the nut baking off slightly.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
Cam chain tensioner is also a possibility for the rattling sound. The aux fuse block is a great idea, especially for multiple accessories (there WILL be more ;D). If you do want to switch just a single circuit, a relay using the aux leads under the left fairing pocket triggered by the marker light circuit will do the trick. If any of the electrical stuff is out of your comfort zone, just say so, it's easy and lots of us have done it and have pics and diagrams.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
Wow, tons of help.... never added a relay with lights before and would love to see a breakdown, diagram. What I did this a.m. was go directly to the aux wires and installed a waterproof LED switch on the right side under the glove box. The LED allows me to see if I left them on but I would still like them to be switched.

Funny about other things being added? So far, in just a few short weeks I have added my lights, GIVI E45 trunk and backrest, Night Rider sequential light on the trunk, refelctor tap kit on the bags, and I have a waterproof lighter on the way which I plan on installing on the left to run my GPS. Trying to figure out a mount for that now. I also like that kit on Murphs to give the marker/turn lights where the front reflector are now. May order a GIVI winseild as well as the one on the bike looks as if it was cleaned with sandpaper, and  the ??????

The sound sounds like it may be the cam chain/starter. I did start checking that out today as well. I check the tensioner and freed it up a bit which seemed to work for a spell but the noise was back after about 30 miles. I did notice that it is really only at idle and it purrs the rest of the time. 

Now for the new issue. I was, so I thought, going doen the interstate at 70 but kept being passed even when a Tropper was off on the side. So today I hooked up the GPS and found that my speedo is WAY off: 64 bike is 55 GPS, 70 bike is 32 GPS....... can this be fixed!! Sucks not having any real idea of speed other then a guess.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:01:26 AM »
I can do up a relay diagram if someone doesn't post before I get to it, someone here has it at the ready. The speedo is mechanical as far as I know, it sounds like a gear or drive cable may be stripped or slipping. Start by pulling both ends of the speedo cable and being sure the ends are square, not rounded.  Lube the cable, it can be pulled out of the housing to clean and lube. Chech what the cable engages to be sure it hasn't rounded out, also both ends if possible, I have no experience at the dash end. Others will offer more...
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:17:11 AM »
Thanks, I have done this with my old XS750 so I get at it today and see fi it helps.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:25:22 AM »
Wiring diagram ......
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
Now for the new issue. I was, so I thought, going doen the interstate at 70 but kept being passed even when a Tropper was off on the side. So today I hooked up the GPS and found that my speedo is WAY off: 64 bike is 55 GPS, 70 bike is 32 GPS....... can this be fixed!! Sucks not having any real idea of speed other then a guess.

So let me get this straight, your doing 65 mph by the bike and the GPS says 55 mph, and at 70 mph the GPS reads 32 mph? That must be a typo because I am certain you could tell the difference between 32 and 70.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
As for a power outlet (not to be used for an air pump), I just taped into the two leads under the left side inner fairing panel.  I cut a hole in the front part of the left side glove box cup and put the power outlet in there so you can only see the power outlet opening.  It is hidden from view and a little more waterproof because it is under the lid.  Maybe I can take a picture soon.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »
Thanks, I have done this with my old XS750 so I get at it today and see fi it helps.

Another one that had an old triple. I had a '79 standard, fully dressed including an am/fm /EIGHT track that worked ten years ago.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
Wiring diagram ......

Yup, that's the one I was looking for...
COG 9331

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
Thanks for the relay pic. I am goimg tp change it over to this asap. I did pick up the relay today at AutoZone.

Offline sgilbert14

rattle
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »
I will be wiring in the relay and the lights as above this week. Waiting for my other stuff to arrive so that I can do it all at once.

I di fixed the rattle. Turns out that it was the cam adjuster not tighting up the chain. Once I did the "bolt backoff and tap trick" the engine now purrs. I did try this once before but just did not back things out enough. :)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 06:35:31 PM »
Where are you all mounting your switches for easy access on the run?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
My light switch is mounted just under the right pocket cover. I ordered a round waterproof LED rocker switch from eBay and then drilled a hole to mount the switch. It makes me take my hand off the gas but with the LED I can tell if it is on or off and is easy to reach,