Author Topic: Waving to other motorcycles  (Read 24734 times)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Waving to other motorcycles
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
Met another Connie C-10 late today  on 985 in GA and got an enthusiastic "Hi 5" from across the interstate median. (it was black and the rider was all in black. It was obvious he was glad see another Connie!). Great to see. but I wonder if he/she is on here.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
To wave or not to wave...

I'm taking the back roads on the way home yesterday. Not a car in sight and I'm enjoying my ride, doing about 70 on a 2 lane through farmland. Up ahead I see a bike heading in the same direction and I'm catching up to him quickly. As I get closer I see that it's a pirate on an HD. He sees me in his rearview, downshifts and I hear him nail it. I drop down 2 gears and I nail it myself, blowing past him like he's standing still. I get back over into the right lane and check him out in the mirrors, dropping back pretty quickly.

Should I have waved at him?     8)

I'm sure he waved to you! Of course, staying in control of such a monster machine as his Hardly, he could only spare one finger and one hand. But it's the thought that counts.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
Of course you should have waved, but in a condescending way to indicate how funny you thought it was that he would downshift and accelerate for you to make the pass interesting.   ;D

That's true, he did make my pass a lil more interesting than it otherwise would have been. I should have thanked him in some way for that at least eh?

I'm sure he waved to you! Of course, staying in control of such a monster machine as his Hardly, he could only spare one finger and one hand. But it's the thought that counts.

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
I will always return a wave and only initiate about 50% of the time. LMAO...I rarely ride in groups, but went out w/ about 8 guys one Sunday. The leader was a little full of himself and gave everyone a 15 minute dissertation on his hand signals. Fair enough, however when we were on the slab...two lanes each way w/ a huge median, he was killing himself trying to wave at opposing biker traffic. At first I was like...."what the hell hand signal is that?". Then I realized he was almost getting out of the seat to wave at guys going the other way more than 100 feet to the left. It was a beautiful Sunday and I bet our leader didn`t have his hand on the controls for 50% of the ride!

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »
I love "wave" threads.   :D

If I'm paying attention, not at risk, or putting the other rider at risk, I wave.

Not everyone waves.  Get over it.  My anecdotal evidence indicates that there is no real pattern.  We just assume that there is.  Up until 3 weeks ago, I would have said that motor officers don't wave.  But lately, they all have been.

I ride with friends who are great people, and have no motorcycling prejudices, but they just don't wave much.  And it doesn't seem to make much difference what bike they are riding either.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
To wave or not to wave...

I'm taking the back roads on the way home yesterday. Not a car in sight and I'm enjoying my ride, doing about 70 on a 2 lane through farmland. Up ahead I see a bike heading in the same direction and I'm catching up to him quickly. As I get closer I see that it's a pirate on an HD. He sees me in his rearview, downshifts and I hear him nail it. I drop down 2 gears and I nail it myself, blowing past him like he's standing still. I get back over into the right lane and check him out in the mirrors, dropping back pretty quickly.

Should I have waved at him?     8)

I'd say you did.    :)

On a long ride, it can get tedious watching approaching bikes to see if they are going to wave, or look like they are waiting for me to wave, or what. I don't like to be rude, and I definitely feel an affinity with my fellow motorcycle riders, whatever they are on, so I tend to raise the fingers of my clutch hand. What the hell, I get a little stretch out of it, and a little credit for being friendly.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »
Why were you in Bradenton?

Here is a visual.  Thought it would be more interesting.

Between 17th ave west, 51st st west and Manatee
T.S.R.

Offline Leo

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 06:43:29 AM »
As long as traffic allows be to safely be distracted an wave, I am open to wave at anyone.  I do not consider my self a bike snob of any proportion.  I even return waves to scooters and mopeds.  If people do not wave back, I figure it's their problem.   No worries.  These days I confess I am having trouble with trikes.  I got rear ended by one who could not stop, I had a trailer towing trike turn left in front of me.  I got forced over double yellows by a trike going the same way on a 4 lane turn who entered the turn too hot and couldn't hold his lane.   Recently I had one of those Can Am Spyders come through double yellows heading straight towards me on a two lane curve.  I am glad the roadside was pretty smooth as I had to loose some speed riding through the weeds.  The guy didn't even stop.  He had to know that he just ran a biker off the road.  I am growing prejudiced, if you need three wheels, you better drive a car.    Checking myself, I find that I am hesitating to wave at trikes. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

YoDoc

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
Here is a visual.  Thought it would be more interesting.

Between 17th ave west, 51st st west and Manatee

I grew up in a duplex on the lower left corner of that image...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 08:11:18 AM »
Proof positive that it's cool to wave.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stewart

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
Having come from Australia I found it strange that no one returned my Helmet nod, I figured everyone was just plan rude or riders didn't acknowledge each other where I live, then I started to see a wave and I'd nod back. Took me a while to break the habit.

Why nod, we ride on the left side of the road and you can't wave.

As for waving...I wave to everyone, their choice if they wish to wave back. I especially like it when the girls on the back of the HDs and Goldwings wave back, but the riders don't.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »
today I was snubbed by a Goldwing...who says you meet the nicest people on a Honda
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
Helmet nod for me......
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
I especially like it when the girls on the back of the HDs and Goldwings wave back, but the riders don't.

I get that a lot too.  I just chalk it up to Connie Envy.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
Nod usually gets it done.

YoDoc

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
I got snubbed for the first time ever (that I noticed) today. An HD rider waved at me, then 15 minutes later a Vulcan ignored me. I know he saw me, because we were on a two lane road, we passed within eight feet of one another. Huh.

Offline red44

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »
Back in the late 70s-early 80s it seemed anyone on a bike would give you that - not a wave, but a shoulder height fist salute. No brand prejudice, if you were riding, you were in.
Now that I'm riding again this wave thing is confusing. 75% of the bikes I encounter are Harley's.The under 50 crowd on them seem to have a dead arm, yet the older guys wave. Sport-bike guys wave or nod at least. I wave. If you ride, your in.

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »
I too wave at all 2,3 wheels and also top down cages. Agree that if I'm using my highway bars more H-Ds return. I get alittle gitty when meeting a sport-tourer and if its a Connie I try to speak (unless I need to spit) When meeting Victorys I do the two finger V, seems to always get a reply. Alot of turns, the head nod works. Let it be raining and it's almost 100%. I also stop for all stranded bikes........blanton
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline co11ins

• kawasaki gtr 1990
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 01:19:04 AM »
Otp we tend to just nod at other bikers. HD owners seem to have the same views here as over where you chaps are, perhaps its in the owners manual?  :-\
                                    Love riding in France where lifting the left hand is enough and pretty much everyone returns it. Waving at a biker as he/she overtakes recieves a right leg being kicked out( i'd love to wave back but cant let go of the throttle) 8)
I am immortal............................................so far!!

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 04:23:36 AM »
I used to wave, just a left hand straight up an inch or so off the grip. Most of the responses tended to be strangled. I think they are confused. I ride a red BMW 650 with knobby tires. I wear a yellow helmet and black jacket and brown pants and EMT boots.

Since I don't have a "real" BMW, the Beemer crowd is confused. Cruiser guys usually give the down low wave but I'm not sure if they are flicking their butts or stretching or waving, since they rarely make eye contact. Big tourers wave or adjust the XM antenna, I can't tell. Connies, STs, FJRs- that crowd are the constant wavers. They also are the ones that will turn around and ask if I am okay when really I'm waiting for traffic to thin so I can pee. Or take a picture. Or both.

And of course, women riders wave at everyone.

There is also confusion since I don't wear "the uniform". No one piece Aerostich. No chaps and vest. I'm poor. And cheap. A lethal combination. I wear what I have and spend my money on important things. Like whores and cocaine.

The only riders that see me, and get it, are my fellow CARs*, the KLR guys. They smile and wave enthusiastically.

These days, I care less about other riders waving and more about awful traffic so I do the turn and nod.  But I will return a wave if I get one.

*CAR- cheapass rider

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200