Author Topic: Waving to other motorcycles  (Read 24734 times)

Offline tjpgi

Re: Waving to other motorcycles
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2011, 04:30:52 AM »
I wave at all riders and most often it is returned. When riding in and around San Antonio I try to avoid waving at any Banditos however. Many times while riding ranch roads, the cagers even wave. I was riding down a service road that parallels I-10 and I saw this large, white haired guy on a Harley that had more luggage on it then I have at home, riding on the interstate waving at me with the biggest smile. At first I wasn't sure if he needed help, wanted a date or was just being friendly. I returned a quick wave and went merrily on my way.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Conrad

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2011, 05:06:45 AM »
Riding 2 up last weekend and the wife wanted to know why those guys on Harleys never wave?  ???
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:21 AM »
I'll usually give every bike the semi-closed fist, two-fingers pointed down wave thing.

If they don't return a wave by the time we pass, my two-fingers down wave thing turns into a one-finger down thing -- and I'm sure you don't have to ask which finger is the one left extended ... ;)

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »
Just today I've noticed that if they don't have a helmet on they don't wave back as much. Draw your own conclusion. It matters not what they ride. Just my oberservation for todays ride.

Jack

YoDoc

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
Just today I've noticed that if they don't have a helmet on they don't wave back as much. Draw your own conclusion. It matters not what they ride. Just my oberservation for todays ride.

Jack

If I rode without a helmet, I would not want to remove my hands from the handlebars either... lol.

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »
I don't get the whole "must-wave-to-every-motorcycle" thing.  If its convenient, I'll return a wave. 

There's a guy I've seen now for a couple of years on a big 'ol yellow 'Wing with the pulsating extra bright headlights that'll give a really exagerated "beauty-queen-on-parade" style wave when ever he see's another bike.  I'm sorry dude, I probably wouldn't wave at PeeWee Herman either.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:34 AM »

Jack

Especially if they have tassels.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
One of my funniest "wave" encounters happened in Katy Proper... this guy wore the do rag, fingerless leather gloves, leather vest... the 1%er look all the way... rode a Burgman.  I would see him at least once a week on the way home, think he worked at the Dollar General there off Katyland.

He'd give me the typical low hand wave... I'd wave back.  One day he had his SO on the back... she waved, I waved back... you'ld think she won the Lotto by her reaction... :rotflmao:  She got this biggest grin... was tapping on the dudes shoulder... started waving again... funniest thing.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2011, 08:35:33 AM »
One of my funniest "wave" encounters happened in Katy Proper... this guy wore the do rag, fingerless leather gloves, leather vest... the 1%er look all the way... rode a Burgman.  I would see him at least once a week on the way home, think he worked at the Dollar General there off Katyland.

He'd give me the typical low hand wave... I'd wave back.  One day he had his SO on the back... she waved, I waved back... you'ld think she won the Lotto by her reaction... :rotflmao:  She got this biggest grin... was tapping on the dudes shoulder... started waving again... funniest thing.  8)

Maybe your fly was open?     ;)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
Maybe your fly was open?     ;)

Could have been...  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »
Could have been...  :o

Now you're talking tassel...again... :rotflmao:
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think that is legal in my state...
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Crashcup

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
If not waving makes you a dick, I guess I'm a dick about a third if the time. Sometimes I don't feel like waving first, and if there's a lot if bikes out, I get tired of it after a while. I almost always RETURN a wave, tho. I do like some of the thoughts expressed here... if you're on two wheels your in... that might be my friend when I break down.

It is entertaining to see the differences.  Around the Minneapolis area here, there are a lot of low, pointing-at-the-ground waves. In Iowa, I've seen a lot of hand-in-the-air high waves - actually waving the hand back forth, like trying to get someone's attention in a crowd. In Missouri, EVERYBODY waved at me as if I was their neighbor. Sometimes get a helmet nod, and I've noticed mostly newer riders doing this. Maybe they haven't learned the local customs yet.

I always wondered too, if riders told their female passengers to handle all the waves. Usually with two people, I see the chicken the back wave.
2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
1999 VFR800 - "Stella"

Offline Crashcup

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
That was supposed to be "chick on the back..."
Dang auto-correct.
2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
1999 VFR800 - "Stella"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »
If not waving makes you a dick, I guess I'm a dick about a third if the time. Sometimes I don't feel like waving first, and if there's a lot if bikes out, I get tired of it after a while. I almost always RETURN a wave, tho. I do like some of the thoughts expressed here... if you're on two wheels your in... that might be my friend when I break down.

It is entertaining to see the differences.  Around the Minneapolis area here, there are a lot of low, pointing-at-the-ground waves. In Iowa, I've seen a lot of hand-in-the-air high waves - actually waving the hand back forth, like trying to get someone's attention in a crowd. In Missouri, EVERYBODY waved at me as if I was their neighbor. Sometimes get a helmet nod, and I've noticed mostly newer riders doing this. Maybe they haven't learned the local customs yet.

I always wondered too, if riders told their female passengers to handle all the waves. Usually with two people, I see the chicken the back wave.

That was supposed to be "chick on the back..."
Dang auto-correct.

I was wondering what state that was that had chickens on the backs of bikes, Georgia maybe?

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
You know, I like the wave, camaraderie and all that, maybe that will be the guy to help me out, band of brothers (and sisters)etc..

Always return the wave when I see it, but........ I commute to work at 4:45am, fer pete's sake, the sun hasn't even thought to come up, haven't had any coffee and I'm focusing on getting to work in one piece. Do I have to WAVE too?

Maybe I'm just getting a mite irritable in my advanced age (at least that's what my kids tell me).  :banghead:
"Always take the long way home."

Offline IDZG14

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
I actually ride a Harley and a Connie (more time on the Connie).  I have found that regardless of what bike I am on, some Harley riders do not wave.  They are usually the older one %'s, or at least wannabes.  Some metrics (sport and cruisers), also will not wave when riding my Harley, even when I wave first.   I wave at everyone, regardless.  I know the number of riders is increasing so I can see why a lot of people get annoyed with it. 
2010 Concours 14, 2008 HD Softail Custom

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »
I actually ride a Harley and a Connie (more time on the Connie).  I have found that regardless of what bike I am on, some Harley riders do not wave.  They are usually the older one %'s, or at least wannabes.  Some metrics (sport and cruisers), also will not wave when riding my Harley, even when I wave first.   I wave at everyone, regardless.  I know the number of riders is increasing so I can see why a lot of people get annoyed with it.
Just smile & keep waving regardless of a return wave specially to the 1%'ers
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Hang2er

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
I have always waved at every bike I see, unless, of course, I see or feel something that makes me want to keep my hands on the bars and probably 75% of those waves were returned.  My general assumption on the other 25% is they are seeing something I already passed that makes them not want to let go. 

That said, the only group that waves less than HD's with no helmet is kids on sport bikes, I don't believe I've ever got a wave out of one of them.  I do snub scooters and spyders, the trikes with 2 wheels on the back I generally assume are disabled riders still getting out there and certainly give and return waves.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
Well, I've never considered it a wave, but a salute. If I don't salute, it's because I didn't see the other bike, or I deem it dangerous to do so (twisties & heavy traffic). When splitting lanes and the cage moves over to give me room, I salute them as well. And yes, I live in CA.
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)