Author Topic: Waving to other motorcycles  (Read 24734 times)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
Re: Waving to other motorcycles
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »
In SoCal also...I usually wave, will always at least nod.  Not expecting one in return, so cool when it happens.  Cool when it doesn't.  Black modular helmet, black riding pants, black leather, black gloves, black beard.  No doo rag, and no more Harleys.  When I wear the yellow all weather gear, different folks wave.  Whatever. 

So...there we were 300 miles from home on the Buell...before I got the Concours.  First long ride with the GF.  1000 miles in three days.  Route 66, lots of curvy roads and sightseeing.  And waving.  She is pretty excited about that one and has taken over the duty for both of us.  So we are gearing up to pull out of a Burger King in Quartzsite - Nowhere, AZ - for the push homeward and we see this big Doo-Rag and Chaps Pirate on a very nice all white HD dresser pulling through the lot, idling right by us.  Better yet, there is his girl right behind, on her own ride - an all white Buell! 

We had been bike-watching the whole time, and we have seen Enfields, and Nortons, and an Earles fork BMW, but this is our first Bueller all weekend.  How peeved do you think the GF was when she gave them both the beaming startled wave and grin...and got NOTHING?  Not a smile, a nod, nothing at all.  Cute, perky, happy chicklet turned sour instantly.  Quick stop for gas and we are on the road.  GF grumbling.  "DANG PIRATES!"  were her last words...

20 miles or so down the road, we see somebody pulled over on the shoulder.  ME?  I always stop.  Been there, done all of that.  One of our saddlebags is full of tools and stuff.  Ten years working at a shop, so I can usually help.  So I signal and slow down.  Hey, it's our friends the Whites!  She is leaning on her Bueller looking peeved and he is sitting on the ground poking at the primary side of the HD.  Ms. White looks up, hopeful. 

GF?  Turns out, she DOESN'T stop for folks that don't wave.  We are down to second gear by the time she figures out who they are, and gives me a shot in the ribs.  "OOOOHHHH NNOOOOO!!  I DON"T THINK SOOOOOO!!" She is laughing that sarcastic laugh as we accelerate back onto the highway.  Man, that Bueller sounds gooooood running the revs up through the gears like that. 

Like I said, I always stop.  Treat GF like a dick and it may not go so well. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2011, 02:30:42 PM »
In SoCal also...I usually wave, will always at least nod.  Not expecting one in return, so cool when it happens.  Cool when it doesn't.  Black modular helmet, black riding pants, black leather, black gloves, black beard.  No doo rag, and no more Harleys.  When I wear the yellow all weather gear, different folks wave.  Whatever. 

So...there we were 300 miles from home on the Buell...before I got the Concours.  First long ride with the GF.  1000 miles in three days.  Route 66, lots of curvy roads and sightseeing.  And waving.  She is pretty excited about that one and has taken over the duty for both of us.  So we are gearing up to pull out of a Burger King in Quartzsite - Nowhere, AZ - for the push homeward and we see this big Doo-Rag and Chaps Pirate on a very nice all white HD dresser pulling through the lot, idling right by us.  Better yet, there is his girl right behind, on her own ride - an all white Buell! 

We had been bike-watching the whole time, and we have seen Enfields, and Nortons, and an Earles fork BMW, but this is our first Bueller all weekend.  How peeved do you think the GF was when she gave them both the beaming startled wave and grin...and got NOTHING?  Not a smile, a nod, nothing at all.  Cute, perky, happy chicklet turned sour instantly.  Quick stop for gas and we are on the road.  GF grumbling.  "DANG PIRATES!"  were her last words...

20 miles or so down the road, we see somebody pulled over on the shoulder.  ME?  I always stop.  Been there, done all of that.  One of our saddlebags is full of tools and stuff.  Ten years working at a shop, so I can usually help.  So I signal and slow down.  Hey, it's our friends the Whites!  She is leaning on her Bueller looking peeved and he is sitting on the ground poking at the primary side of the HD.  Ms. White looks up, hopeful. 

GF?  Turns out, she DOESN'T stop for folks that don't wave.  We are down to second gear by the time she figures out who they are, and gives me a shot in the ribs.  "OOOOHHHH NNOOOOO!!  I DON"T THINK SOOOOOO!!" She is laughing that sarcastic laugh as we accelerate back onto the highway.  Man, that Bueller sounds gooooood running the revs up through the gears like that. 

Like I said, I always stop.  Treat GF like a dick and it may not go so well.

Good story, Karma can be a bitch eh?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »
I'll generally wave at anyone on two wheels.
Even scooters. They get no love to start with.
When my son had completed the MSF coarse, I would have him ride with me, he on my 2fiddy ninjette, me on my Triumph TBS, as one of the rules for the first year of his riding. After our third or fourth time on the highway, he asked how I knew everybody going the opposite way.  :o
Still cracks me up!
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline RED121572

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
I wave at all the lone, two wheel riders by dropping the left hand with the pointer finger slightly down. If I happen to cross a large group of harley riders and there isnt a metric bike within their pack, I know not to wave because I wont get one back. A good percentage of HD riders in this area belong to clubs. (Outlaws, Black Pistons and local non 1%'er clubs and associations) Alot of those guys live in a world all their own and don't give the metric crowd a second thought.
06' FJR1300
--------------
"Something is not quite stirring the kool-aid"
-IBA 47245-

Offline W14

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »
I wave unless I'm in a curve or for some other reason I need both hands on handle bars. My experince is that most riders, even Harley riders, wave back or initiate the wave.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
 never wave first ,cant get your feelings hurt that way. 8)

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I wave all the time regardless, Even at Can-Am rider if no one is looking.  I also wave at cagers (left hand turns) that actually stop and look and see me coming.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
I wave all the time regardless, Even at Can-Am rider if no one is looking.  I also wave at cagers (left hand turns) that actually stop and look and see me coming.

Cheers
Ron

+1
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline pasini510

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
I was happy to find the Flash to pass trigger and since I do not have a headlight modulator ,I will train my self this spring to flash my light and nod. I really hate having to wave to 25 bikers passing on other side of road . Its not that I dont like people either.
Andre

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
Here in the North East you know who to wave to for about 4 months out of the year.  Anytime the temps drop below 40 only true bikers take their bikes out, I wave to every one of them.  When the temps rise the squids and posers show up and it's guessing time again.  I will typically wave to everyone until I am so po'd from the lack of responses that I then revert to response waving only.  When I ride with my club ( winter riders only ) we have all types of bikes and all are pretty decent folks.. I try not to judge by the bike.  I personally have owned American, British and Japanese and don't think the bike should dictate your personality.

Offline SLH0568

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
never wave first ,cant get your feelings hurt that way. 8)

I'm with DaveO on this one, lol. Usually wait to see if there's some movement from the other guy before I wave. Does feel good when we do though. As a new Connie owner who is used to riding something half the size (a naked SV650), it did take me about 50 miles or so before I was willing to take my hand off the grip though :P But once I realized the ship wouldn't go anywhere I relaxed and do it all the time now. I'd say almost everyone waves along the two lane roads around here in Bakersfield.
2012 Concours

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
Thanks to vman, he got this all figured out for us...  ;D

Finally explained!!!  why not wave!!??   (best to read it in your head with letterman voice)

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him
6. The espresso machine just finished
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite
navigation system
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard

Top Ten Reasons Why Sportbikers Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to iPod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2012, 11:49:15 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Now someone needs to come up with a set for Adventure Tourers

:stirpot:
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)