Author Topic: 2011 Heat Management  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
2011 Heat Management
« on: July 24, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
I purchased a Black 2011 C14 about a month ago.  Since that time our Texas heat wave has reached almost 20 consecutive days of 100+ degree weather.  I have ridden some every day since I bought it.  When doing my research on the bike, one of the main improvement areas for the 10/11 bikes was the improvement in heat management.  Well I'm here to tell you, this North Texas climate has been the perfect test market for whether or not it works.  The good news is that this bike simply does not produce anything close to undesirable heat levels.  In fact I don't ever even think about heat while riding this bike.  The Engineers did a remarkable job in this area and just wanted those considering a new C14 to scratch that concern off their list.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: 2011 Heat Management
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
I agree.

But the stock windscreen is a bit tall for hot days. I got a shorter one for Summer, and am very pleased with the results.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:27:14 PM »
I agree totally.  Very good design.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
Re: Wind Screens, I installed a Cee Baileys Euro (2.5") higher than 10/11 stock and it does block quite a lot of wind even in the full down.  I would like to have a mini one on the bike as well.  Problem is that when I do get out for a couple hundred mile ride, at speeds of 80+ the taller wind screen really is nice and the stock one just created more turbulence.

Also re: the heat, it also been a nice surprise since my quest to purchase this bike started with wanting to get on the BMW 1600GT list, which now I'm reading has quite a lot of unhappy owners with that element on the new Bimmers.  I'll still likely buy a 1600GT and hopefully this will be an area that the second year models address.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
I purchased a Black 2011 C14 about a month ago.  Since that time our Texas heat wave has reached almost 20 consecutive days of 100+ degree weather.  I have ridden some every day since I bought it.  When doing my research on the bike, one of the main improvement areas for the 10/11 bikes was the improvement in heat management.  Well I'm here to tell you, this North Texas climate has been the perfect test market for whether or not it works.  The good news is that this bike simply does not produce anything close to undesirable heat levels.   In fact I don't ever even think about heat while riding this bike.  The Engineers did a remarkable job in this area and just wanted those considering a new C14 to scratch that concern off their list.

I recently rode all over AZ,NM,TX, and even the FL Keys and am here to report the same about my '10!

I've had as many bikes as shoes in my days, and this one is the coolest one yet in extreme heat.

Oh let me modify my post, lets not exclude the heat around Death Valley, CA my bike and I went through either. Off-roading in places we shouldn't be  8)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline con05

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 08:58:54 PM »
I just purchased my second C-14 having sold my 08. The heat issue has been resolved in my opinion.  I also am running the short 08 shield with the wind deflectors that was part of the group buy this spring. They make a big difference, smoothing out the air flow with both the short and high windshield. Being 5'8" I find that the short shield raised all the way up with the deflectors works great in the rain. The set up works well on the highway in dirty air, relieving the buffeting yet letting enough air in to cool.
Silver 2011 C-14

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »
 :goodpost: