Author Topic: Magnetic Drain Plugs  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Coyote Chris

Magnetic Drain Plugs
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Has anyone installed magnetic drain plugs in their C10?  At 10 bucks a piece they are alittle steep but it might be a good indication from change to change what is happening in the motor.....

Chris who doesnt want to "make metal"

Offline sas mayhem

Re: Magnetic Drain Plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:26:09 AM »
No I have not as of yet, but I'm going to that you just reminded me . LOL .   I think 10.00 is very ,very cheap for what they do.  Prevent metal particles from continuously circulating though you motor.

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/

Cheers
Ron
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:38:04 PM by sas mayhem »
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:49 AM »
I have them in both my bikes and there is something on them every time I drain the oils so I do not think that they are a waste of money; besides anything the makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your bike is money well spent in my book. Given that I rolled my own with .25" x .50" Rare Earth Magnets that I drilled and pressed into my stock plugs; I can pick up at least a 16" adjustable wrench with them.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »
I ran them on my KLR 650 starting at the first oil change.  You would be amazed at the amount of metal they pick up.  I will install one on the C-14 on my next oil change

Offline kbecker3

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:17:51 AM »
Prolly a little over kill, but i have one in each of the motor drain plugs, and i also have one in the final drive drain plug.

+1 on you will be amazed at the amount of metal clumped on the magnet each oil change
2005 concours

Offline timmerz

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:43:08 AM »
I have them in both my bikes and there is something on them every time I drain the oils so I do not think that they are a waste of money; besides anything the makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your bike is money well spent in my book. Given that I rolled my own with .25" x .50" Rare Earth Magnets that I drilled and pressed into my stock plugs; I can pick up at least a 16" adjustable wrench with them.

Dayum!! No need to wonder why your credit cards won't work for you all the time, Tony!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »
Dayum!! No need to wonder why your credit cards won't work for you all the time, Tony!

I tell you it's crazy how strong some of these Rare Earth Magnets are; the place that I get them from has many assorted sizes and they have a great big sign over them warning you to be extra carefull when you handle them cause when correctly lined up they will come together with such force that they will pinch, break skin, and even cause blood blisters.   :yikes:
Tony P. Crochet

Offline kbecker3

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »
The rare earth magnets i ordered at one point, if you held them a few inches from eachother, and let them go, they would even come together with such force, that they break into pieces.
2005 concours

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »
I have a REM I salvaged from a computer hard drive at work.  If you attach it to a metal desk drawer (and be careful of your fingers when you do) it requires pliers to remove it.  :o
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline Matchbox

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »
I have used a magnet from an old hard drive on the end of the drain plug. (till my magnetic plug arrived)

As said in the previous post be careful they will take your finger off if near a large metal mass.

Offline Coyote Chris

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
OK, you guys have talked me into it.  In big recip aircraft engines, we have an oil screen with presure sensors on either side.  If chips clog the screen, the pressure differential trips a light in the cockpit that says, "That's all folks!"  We call that Making metal and at the Reno Air races, when a big engine makes metal, its time to call it a day.  If nothing else, it will be interesting to compare the chip load from time to time.  Of course, the magnet doesnt work too well on non ferous metal. 

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »
All these strong magnets are going to keep your reciprocating parts from moving...
:D

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
All these strong magnets are going to keep your reciprocating parts from moving...
:D

I fixed that with a pair of 8D Marine Diesel Batteries wired in series for 24VDC and a starter from a CAT 3516....... You should see the alt too!
Tony P. Crochet