Author Topic: Finally tried out the 7th gear  (Read 3336 times)

Offline DarkKnight

Finally tried out the 7th gear
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
I installed 7th gear during the winter and today I finally tried it. One thing keeps coming to mind as I drive " This is the way it shooden been" (made that up myself)... Anyway I notice a very slight decresae in torque down low. Below 2k rpms.
I'm sure a different cam gear will correct that.
Thats about the only con and it really is hardley noticed. The bike is not a low end grunt power to begin with.
 Pros: The bike just settles down smoothly on the highway. I even lugged it down to about 2k in 6th. it did fine.
I debated doing the 7th gear because I didn't want to lose any power in the twisties. I didn't lose anything. Power is still there if you use the rpm range where the power is. Shifting is less often and  even it seems to shift better...what I mean is transitions between gears has a much less mechanical feel. 
I didn't think I needed it, but I had to change out my bevel gear gasket and when I was there, I still debated on the 7th gear. Now, I wouldn't go back to the stock gearing even if I had a chance to get my money back. Its that good!

Offline timmerz

Re: Finally tried out the 7th gear
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
If I could only hit the lotto, just once....

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
Quick note:

Bermenized did some testing with the Connie's oil system, and determined that there is a significant drop in oil pressure below 3K rpm.  Several guys here recommend maintaining around 3K RPM or better when under load for extended periods (i.e. driving).  My personal threshold is around 2.5K RPM.

Someday I'll have a 7th gear...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
Quick note:

Bermenized did some testing with the Connie's oil system, and determined that there is a significant drop in oil pressure below 3K rpm.  Several guys here recommend maintaining around 3K RPM or better when under load for extended periods (i.e. driving).  My personal threshold is around 2.5K RPM.

Someday I'll have a 7th gear...

I even pulled two spark plug wires to get this sound
Popping Johnny John Deere 720 series

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
Sounds like my connie did last year with exhaust leak, bad valves and a bent rod!
She's all better now!

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »
I did the 7th gear upgrade this spring also. Love it! I can now cruise at a comfortable 70mph without feeling the need to upshift.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline pzak95

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
Did my 7th upgrade last Sept. becuase of a need to replace a bad bearing in the bevel gear unit. Have not regretted it. Definitely changes the entire character of the bike. Nice smooth 70 at 4k rpm. Kinda wish I hadn't done the bafflectomy though, gettin tired of the noise.

Pat