Author Topic: Has anyone used a 'Tow Dolly'?  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Has anyone used a 'Tow Dolly'?
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Reluctantly my GF does NOT ride.. I'm heading to the National this year, and she wants to go, I have a trailer, but it's a 6x10, and a bit heavy,
so I would have to tow with the truck. If I could use the Tow Dolly, I could save more than what it would cost me by towing with the car.
Has anyone, other than the Connie owner in the ad, used one? Should you disconnect the drive shaft, or is it safe to travel as is?
And which one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Trailer-Hitch-Carrier-Tow-Dolly-/120739620432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ca46650

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-trailer-carrier-tow-dolly-hauler-rack-hitch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e6563b783QQitemZ130550052739QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:33:38 PM by Walker18 »
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Has anyone used a 'Tow Dolly'?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »
Reluctantly my GF does NOT ride.. I'm heading to the National this year, and she wants to go, I have a trailer, but it's a 6x10, and a bit heavy,
so I would have to tow with the truck. If I could use the Tow Dolly, I could save more than what it would cost me by towing with the car.
Has anyone, other than the Connie owner in the ad, used one? Should you disconnect the drive shaft, or is it safe to travel as is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Trailer-Hitch-Carrier-Tow-Dolly-/120739620432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ca46650

I seem to remember a discussion of this on the old board.  (I could be confusing it with another board though)  I think the consensus was that you should disconnect the driveshaft to use one of these, since you'd be spinning stuff in the transmission that wouldn't be getting lubed like it should. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
Jon is correct.  spinning the rear without the engine running is very bad.  If you really want to use that trailer maybe you could start the bike and set your 'choke' around 2k then tow it :o

I am a little curious how the heck you would get the connies front tire up onto the trailer
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
Jon is correct.  spinning the rear without the engine running is very bad.  If you really want to use that trailer maybe you could start the bike and set your 'choke' around 2k then tow it :o
I was afraid of that.. Just trying to avoid lugging the 6x10 around..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:15:03 AM »
I was afraid of that.. Just trying to avoid lugging the 6x10 around..
You only have to lug the trailer to VT, then your FREEEEEE.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »
You ride the bike, she drives the car, no trailer needed.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:42:29 AM »
You ride the bike, she drives the car, no trailer needed.
Been there, George.. It makes sense to you and me.. I haven't even mentioned Lake George this September, and I'm riding up to that.

Update; Just got off the phone with the local dealer (Montgomeryville), and they say the tow dolly is a bad idea.. Trailer it.

Well, I'll be trailer support for you all heading up to Vermont on Sunday! If you need my cell #, pm me with yours, and I'll log it and send you mine.

Route is: NE Pennsylvania 95N to New Jersey RT31W, 202N, 287N, New York 87N, 787N, 7E, Vermont 279E, 9E, 100N.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:28:28 AM by Walker18 »
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »
Now I dont always think things through, but, I dont get the reason to disconnect the drive shaft.

If the trans is in neutral, its still spinning a few parts, which are all bathed in oil, right?  Obviously it wont hurt the rear drive, but why would it hurt the other end? 
Just thinking about it, it seems since the bike is angled, the oil would be mostly near the back anyway, giving plenty of lube...but then Im probably missing something...

Oh, and this is just for my own info, not saying anyone is wrong...just want to know the reasoning.
Say what?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
The transmission is lubricated with pressurized oil when the engine is running.  Without it running, the areas that would get oil under pressure won't get the proper lubrication.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
Well, given that, wouldnt it be a bad idea to use these on any bike?  I mean even the chain drive bikes would surely have the output shaft pressure lubed too wouldnt they? 

I suppose one could disconnect the drive mechanism from the rear, but I doubt too many do...
Say what?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 07:02:56 AM »
Well, given that, wouldnt it be a bad idea to use these on any bike?  I mean even the chain drive bikes would surely have the output shaft pressure lubed too wouldnt they? 

Yep.  It's a bad idea.  But on a chain bike, disconnecting the chain is a relatively easy procedure.  (assuming it's a chain with a master link)  Pulling a driveshaft is considerably more complicated.

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Have you searched Craigslist for a single-rail motorcycle trailer?   They can frequently be found used for a few hundred bucks, and can be pulled by even the smallest car.  Sounds like it could pay for itself in the gas you'd save.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
I've been searching for a small trailer for a few weeks, but pickings are slim in my area, at least the one's for the elusive few hundred bucks.
There are a few single rail's on Ebay that are around 300, but the shipping kills the deal (155.00!) I'm going to look at a used three rail and
possibly an old Chariot, always liked those.. But I'm sure maintenance will be needed, tires & wires & packing.. But as long as the axles are solid,
might go that route. Spare time right now is scarce, had to let a guy go, and we are extending ourselves to makeup his shift, so I'll only have
a day or 2 if I'm going to make a move.. But I still have the back up plan, truck and landscape trailer..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
I've been searching for a small trailer for a few weeks, but pickings are slim in my area, at least the one's for the elusive few hundred bucks.
There are a few single rail's on Ebay that are around 300, but the shipping kills the deal (155.00!) I'm going to look at a used three rail and
possibly an old Chariot, always liked those.. But I'm sure maintenance will be needed, tires & wires & packing.. But as long as the axles are solid,
might go that route. Spare time right now is scarce, had to let a guy go, and we are extending ourselves to makeup his shift, so I'll only have
a day or 2 if I'm going to make a move.. But I still have the back up plan, truck and landscape trailer..

I hear ya.  Good luck... hope you find something that works for you.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 05:08:52 AM »
Have you thought about renting a trailer from U-haul or the likes?  They generally have some nice light weight alum trailers.  Rent one way turn it in, rent again for the return trip.
2002 Conc

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »
Have you thought about renting a trailer from U-haul or the likes?  They generally have some nice light weight alum trailers.  Rent one way turn it in, rent again for the return trip.
Chris, I think they're on to that.. I tried to reserve and drop it off near the rally point, but it's "not available" for one way.. I believe I would have to
rent it for the week, and of course, they want you to buy the insurance for 8 bucks a day, and since I'll have to pick it up on Saturday, and return it
on the following Saturday (8 days), total with tax for the week would be $194.61. I put a call in to my insurance company to see if the trailer is covered
by my policy, that will save me close to 70 bucks. If I rent the bigger trailer for one way, the price jumps to over 70 bucks each way! Still have an eye out
for a used one.. But I'll be there!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline blade

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
Probably way to late to the topic, but have you thought about a HF 4X8 folding trailer. I know there were several using them on the old board at one time or another. Another option would be the small trailer with a rail added, that's what I have and have hauled Connie to a couple of rallies and beyond. Get the ones with the 12 inch tires and use a 20% off coupon. That should keep you under 3 bills