Author Topic: Radar detector, slick deal  (Read 1597 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Radar detector, slick deal
« on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »
I have been known to get tickets sometimes.   I am also a bit of a cheapo, so when I bought a radar detector, I got a $200 Beltronics Vector 995.  I am sure the latest GPS equipped yadda yadda works better but this thing works for me.  It saved me countless times on a trip out west. I am not saying I was able to do 100 mph the whole way, but if I am doing 82 in a 75 on the interstate on the way to the Tetons or 43 in a 35 in the park climbing a mountain, it's nice to know when an officer is trying to fund his department budget at my expense.

What doesn't work for me is I couldn't hear it on the bike and looking down at it constantly is not smart.  I got a speaker from Beltronics that plugs into the earphone jack and it's great for in town (insanely loud) but on the highway with ear plugs in, I can't hear it. I am a bit deaf, admittedly.  So I was a bit frustrated.  Then I got this LED thing pictured below from MarcParnes.com (same guy that makes the wheel balancer) and it works very well.  Same deal as the speaker, you plug it into the headphone jack and mount it where the LEDs are pointed at you and away you go. Works well in bright sunlight, catches your eyes just fine. At night, you better turn the volume down because it will blind you.   My mounting it not the slickest but it works.  My only complaint is that the jack that plugs into the earphone port is BIG and would be slicker if it was black and a 90 degree thing. Marc Parnes is an old retired guy that LOVES to ride (his website has a list of all the bikes he owned and what he loved/hated about them, many interesting anecdotes) and I have heard that if you order something, you can call and ask for some special deal and he just does it.  Good product, fast shipping.  Not cheap at $59 + S&H but cheaper than ANY ticket is the way I look at it.

www.marcparnes.com
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
Re: Radar detector, slick deal
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »
Get a Mix-it Amplifier..end of problem in not hearing radar, ipod, of music.....it works have two of them on each of my C-14's

Ninja
Ninjawarrior