Author Topic: WTB: Right Saddlebag (Black) for 2012 C14 No longer needed  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Kman

WTB: Right Saddlebag (Black) for 2012 C14 No longer needed
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:00:40 AM »
Dropped mine yesterday  :'( and it's lost!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:16:10 PM by Kman »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: WTB: Right Saddlebag (Black) for 2012 C14
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:12 AM »
What do you mean, you dropped it?  You dropped it off a cliff or did it decided to detach itself like a depth charge and disappear into the concrete/asphalt jungle?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kman

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:31:52 AM »
It  apparently fell off while riding.  Very upset about the whole thing....when I got off no right saddlebag; was in shock, not sure how it could have happened.  :'(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
You need to report that to Kawasaki as well as to the dealer.  They're going to probably disavow any knowledge on their part of this issue (they always have) but they still need to know that there are problems with the cases falling off.

Kawasaki customer service number (949)-770-0400 then 1, then 5  Tell them that the case fell off on it's own accord and that you are reporting it to the Feds.

Also report this to:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Check the other case to see if there is any 'slop' or up and down movement in the latching system.  If there is significant slop then I would take it to the dealer and show them.  There are several methods of securing the cases from drilling a hole in the bottom mount and using a lock pin or using heavy round bar stock (I use that), or heavy duty tie wraps.  You may want to start new thread here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=2.0 .

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:20:29 AM »
Thanks  for the info, I'll look into reporting it to Kawasaki & the Feds.  I did report it to the local dealer as I was actually on the way there to get my Banshee screamer horn installed  when it fell off! The guy at the counter said Kawasaki wouldn't do anything unless they could inspect the bag which I don't have.

Very frustrating as I just put a film guard on it and had a Bestem liner in it as well. Grr...

Offline Kman

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
Bag found! A crew from the local town saw it flying off and picked it up. It is in remarkably good shape, with only some minor road rash on the edges. A Techspec protector should cover it up nicely.  Still very upset  that the bag could just drop off that way...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: WTB: Right Saddlebag (Black) for 2012 C14 No longer needed
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 03:18:54 AM »
Get that case to the dealer so that they can look at.  It's quite rare for them to be found again after they launch.

Offline Kman

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
I did take it to the local dealer. The latch mechanism looked OK and the service guy pointed out the sticker on the back of the bag that warns to double check bag for proper latching....so most likely it wasn't latched correctly which is why it fell off. However  it was properly locked when attached and such a mechanism should be failsafe not to lock if the latch is not  secure. This is simply poor engineering/design if you ask me. On my previous bike, a 1995 ST1100, there was no way you could lock the saddlebag if it wasn't securely latched down.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
Call the Kwak number and submit the incident to the feds...Tell Kwak you're pissed....oh and if Mark answers tell him you want to talk to someone who cares.