Author Topic: Cranks , but won't start !  (Read 17849 times)

Offline stlhrsrdr

Re: Cranks , but won't start !
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 06:58:29 PM »
I'm I'm Kentucky , thanks for the offer !

Stock throttle bodies , with flies removed .

Cables at the battery , and at the frame connection , terminals , and contact points on the frame have all been sanded using 150 grit Emory cloth .

The volt gauge on the dash stays the same while cranking , but a few times it has went UP after cranking stops , 9.7-9.8 .

I feel a bad ground is legit , just no idea where .

Dealer had no answers , and uses the same manual that I have .

Didn't fool with it tonight . Ordered a set of needle adapters for the volt meter for more testing . May be the weekend before I can get back to it . .

Something really simple , and I may simply be overlooking it .

I really appreciate all advice , Thanks

Offline PH14

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Yes, probably simple. Try a new battery. I know you have a new one. Try another one. The battery on my RC51 died 350 miles from home in Washington DC. The battery for it runs $170. I got a slightly reduced price of around $150 from a dealer, installed it in the parking lot, and it didn't work. They had to give me another one. It happens, more often on newer bikes with more electronics like the C14. The RC also required a strong battery.

Try a new battery and either ride off happily or discount it as the issue. If not, continue to beat your head against the wall until finally discovering it is the battery.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 06:33:53 AM »
  Honestly, given the info and history of pc3's, I would do as was previously offered, pull the pc3 out of the loop and give it another try. Steve

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
  Honestly, given the info and history of pc3's, I would do as was previously offered, pull the pc3 out of the loop and give it another try. Steve

I thought he already did that. I guess not. Yes, definitely remove the pc3 to discount that as the problem. Oh, then try a new battery.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »
When in doubt....change a battery.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 01:51:52 PM »
...... , secondary fly actuator making noise like a bad connection . AND taillight has a dim glow , once key is OFF . Unplugged taillight , no change .

Thanks for all the help and ideas !

so tail light is glowing with bike turned off.... currently?

splain...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »
another mouse issue?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
another mouse issue?

could be.... I know just how much they like to chew those wires, for sure... but if the connector was disconnected, and the lights glowed.... then id say they weren't disconnected....

but then, people do weird things.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »
As do mice...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »
Kirby comes to mind... :)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stlhrsrdr

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 07:29:57 PM »
So I took battery and had it load tested . First off , guys at parts house acted as if it were a burden to test it . Initially it showed that it needed charged and retested . So they exchange it . The exchange battery showed the same thing on their tester , a hand held unit . They get a second replacement , it test good . Then we retest the original battery and first exchange , but on a battery charger/tester sitting on a cabinet in front of the counter . This time both previous batteries show good .

So I take the last exchange battery with me , take it back to work with me , and place it on a 1.25amp battery tender . Initially it showed at less 80% charge , according to the indicator lights on the charger . By the end of my shift , battery tender indicating fully charged . So now I should have a 100% battery to take home and try again .

I did notice that the ground cable terminal , that attaches to the frame , is cracked . For how long , I do not know . Remove it , go to Napa , come home and replace . Crimped and soldered , and sanded .
Hook up the replacement battery , that should be 100% charged .

Fingers crossed , NOTHING DIFFERENT . Bike cranks , fuel pump does NOT prime . LCD display still saying 9 vdc . Removed PCIII , again , no difference .

I did get some error codes today though , 23,24,26,59,64 .

I think it is safe to say it is not the battery .

I have a set of needle adapters coming tomorrow for my voltmeter leads for more testing .

Thanks for all the help , really appreciate it !

Offline stlhrsrdr

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »
could be.... I know just how much they like to chew those wires, for sure... but if the connector was disconnected, and the lights glowed.... then id say they weren't disconnected....

but then, people do weird things.

Light would glow , very dim , after key switched off . It is currently unplugged , no glow . It made no difference .

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 10:37:31 PM »
bizarre
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 11:27:06 PM »
Jeez mate, good luck with sorting it. I hope you manage to fix it soon.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 02:33:50 AM »
Work back from the fuel pump not priming..................would be my first line of attack now battery and its earth gave been eliminated from the game 👍

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 01:54:16 PM »
hmmmm
ask me how I knew the EXACT codes that popped up, and had posted them yesterday.
battery tender is a tender.... it will not deeep cycle charge or stimulate a battery that has never had a full charge, ever...
the batt should have been charged on a chargere at a higher amp supply, for a specified time, to reach full capacity.
not below a 2 amp slow cycle.... I use a switchable 2 amp/6 amp charger, with an actual ammeter, and it shows current at start and during process, a new batt could be charged at 6 amps for about a half hour before its really correct... just sharing again.
the parts store kids at the counter are not mechanics.

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 02:04:54 PM »
Hi

OK this has tweaked my interest so having read all the thread, and studied the wiring diagram and repair manual I would start at the glowing back light, something is very wrong there, and it will be the easiest to trace.

If I am teaching my granny how to suck eggs, sorry.

Start at the glowing tail light: -
First measure the voltage between the battery negative terminal and the light negative, there should be 0.0 volts.
If there is any reading, trace back until you find where it is coming from. As you can see from the diagram its a direct connection from the battery negative to the bulb negative, but it incorporates a load of "joint connectors", just work back from the bulb.

If there is no reading then repeat the process on the battery negative to the bulb positive, if its glowing then there will be a low voltage, again follow it back and find where it is coming from.

Richard

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 02:24:43 PM »
Got to say Richard I'm curious to see the fault unearthed 😃

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 02:39:55 PM »
Got to say Richard I'm curious to see the fault unearthed 😃

Indeed!

After 3 attempts the diagram now works........

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 03:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the diagram!  :thumbs: :goodpost: