Author Topic: Hello from WI.  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Arod

Hello from WI.
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »
Hey there. I am considering getting a c14. I currently have a suzuki m109r and i am getting to the point where i need storage, some wind protection and a better seat for the wife and kids to ride on the back.  My plan is to sell or trade the 9 in order to get a connie. No time to ride two bikes. Anything i need to know?  Are some years better than others?  Anything i should stay away from or aftermarket parts that i should be looking for? I will be poking around here to learn what i can but thanks in advance for any advise.  Rick

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
Re: Hello from WI.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:59:26 PM »
Rick
Where are you in Wisconsin?  I know of a nice C14 for sale in MN, not far from some parts of WI....
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Arod

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:55:27 PM »
I am in oconto wi. About 20 minutes north of Green Bay.  MN is not to far at all.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:25 PM »
Welcome!  You won't get the kids and the wife on the bike at the same time unless the kids are very small and fit in the side cases.  The 08's are the best, after that the quality slipped a bit.  Stay away from FJRs and BMWs.  You should look at seats, windscreens, and ECU mods.  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Arod

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I would have the kids and the wife just ride one at a time.  LOL.  I have been lookking and see that there are a handfull for sale with in a few hundred miles of me.  I am looking forward to checking them out.  Did the 08 and 09's have a over heating problem?  i see the 10's and up have much bigger vents on the side.  Should I saty away from and 08 or 09?  Thanks again for the info.  let me know if I should be posting this in a different thread.  Rick

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
None of the C14's have 'over heating' issues.  It's something that we don't even think about.  However, there has been some discussions, heated, I might add, on the heat management of the 08/09s.  I have an 08 and I can't say that the heat is unmanageable on it....in the summer.  In the winter, I couldn't beat the heat out of it with a stick.  Some riders have had issues with the heat output on the 08/09s, some haven't.  I like my 08 and won't trade up until I'm forced too.  It has ABS and I like that feature.  The brakes are not linked, the newer bikes have linked brakes that to some, affect the riding performance.  The 10+ bikes have mods from Kawasaki to alleviate any angst on the heat output to the rider.

With all that being said and I was looking for a C14 now, it would be a 10+ bike although quite frankly and just between you and me, I'm not really crazy about the color selection.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Arod

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »
  I am actually going to look at a two 08's next week.  one with 15k miles and the other with 28k miles.  both the same price. 8k.  The one with 28k miles seems to have a taller windscreen.  otherwise I think they are both pretty stock. There seems to be a lot of 08 and 09 used ones around by me.  About 10 or so in a 150 miles radius.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks again for the info.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
bought my 08 3 seasons ago with 6k on the clock. Now pushin 55k and doing great. This one has no ABS so you might look at both to see if one has ABS available. You did not state how tall you are....I have ridden a Cee Bailey tall for a couple of years and prefer that at 6'3 ish. Better sound from my G9 with it up. Have started to think about throwing the stocker on to see if those guys who like em down make any sense. IIRC I was getting pretty beat up before I changed over. Delkevic Exhaust change made things better.

Oconto? Been fishing up there....caught a pretty large Brown over off the breakwater where the old Pier/dance hall used to be.
My old buddy (RIP) Rich Wawryzniak used to have us up for fishing the breakwater and right below the falls at Marinette and trips out to the pistol range.

I hope you find a nice ride and stick around.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Arod

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
bought my 08 3 seasons ago with 6k on the clock. Now pushin 55k and doing great. This one has no ABS so you might look at both to see if one has ABS available. You did not state how tall you are....I have ridden a Cee Bailey tall for a couple of years and prefer that at 6'3 ish. Better sound from my G9 with it up. Have started to think about throwing the stocker on to see if those guys who like em down make any sense. IIRC I was getting pretty beat up before I changed over. Delkevic Exhaust change made things better.

Oconto? Been fishing up there....caught a pretty large Brown over off the breakwater where the old Pier/dance hall used to be.
My old buddy (RIP) Rich Wawryzniak used to have us up for fishing the breakwater and right below the falls at Marinette and trips out to the pistol range.

I hope you find a nice ride and stick around.

I am 6'4" and one of the things I am looking for is wind protection.  We will see what I find.  Yep,  the fishing is good here right now.  Where are you located?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
I am 6'4" and one of the things I am looking for is wind protection.  We will see what I find.  Yep,  the fishing is good here right now.  Where are you located?

Cee Bailey's Ultra Tour Dome

I'm only 6' even but have a long torso for my height. This windshield is the best for tall riders on this bike. When I moved from CO to TX earlier this year, I put my OEM shield back on the bike thinking that in warmer weather I would want more air. Wrong. The CB shield is better all the way down then the OEM shield is all the way up for buffeting and noise. Besides being taller, the slight curve of the lip makes all the difference.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/kawasaki/concours14_2010_ws.html

Offline Arod

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »
Cee Bailey's Ultra Tour Dome

I'm only 6' even but have a long torso for my height. This windshield is the best for tall riders on this bike. When I moved from CO to TX earlier this year, I put my OEM shield back on the bike thinking that in warmer weather I would want more air. Wrong. The CB shield is better all the way down then the OEM shield is all the way up for buffeting and noise. Besides being taller, the slight curve of the lip makes all the difference.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/kawasaki/concours14_2010_ws.html

Cool,  Thanks for the info.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »
Welcome!  I'm just down the road in Green Bay and I've had no issues with my '08 non-ABS, but any model should be fine.  There are plenty for sale at the dealerships in town as well as on Craigslist. I'm 6'3" and I added a V-Stream windshield and driver peg lowers and its worked great for me. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Arod

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
Welcome!  I'm just down the road in Green Bay and I've had no issues with my '08 non-ABS, but any model should be fine.  There are plenty for sale at the dealerships in town as well as on Craigslist. I'm 6'3" and I added a V-Stream windshield and driver peg lowers and its worked great for me.

I am seeing that there are alot for sale. I am in no hurry so I have been taking my time and looking at a few.  Thanks