Author Topic: Thinking about a Connie  (Read 1752 times)

Offline TheEdge900

Thinking about a Connie
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:03:27 PM »
Just joined the forum to do some research on Connies.  I figure in the next year or so I will be getting a new bike and the Concours is on my short list.  For the last six years I  have been commuting on my motorcycle (NC700x) but have started doing more touring since my wife got a bike a few months ago (actually a trike but having a riding partner has been great).  With the touring, I definitely feel the limitations of my bike.  I ride about 12-16k a year.  I have thought about getting a goldwing but the cost is beyond what I want to spend right now.  The Concours seems to be a good value and a huge upgrade over my current ride.  I would probably go something used and wanted to know if there are any years to stay away from, or any issues that I need to watch out for.  I live in AZ so need to make sure the bike is not prone to over heating.  Does the Concours have any high dollar maintenance issue I need to be aware of?  I do most of my own maintenance.  Any help I can get would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Offline FTB530

Re: Thinking about a Connie
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:56:57 AM »
Just joined the forum to do some research on Connies.  I figure in the next year or so I will be getting a new bike and the Concours is on my short list.  For the last six years I  have been commuting on my motorcycle (NC700x) but have started doing more touring since my wife got a bike a few months ago (actually a trike but having a riding partner has been great).  With the touring, I definitely feel the limitations of my bike.  I ride about 12-16k a year.  I have thought about getting a goldwing but the cost is beyond what I want to spend right now.  The Concours seems to be a good value and a huge upgrade over my current ride.  I would probably go something used and wanted to know if there are any years to stay away from, or any issues that I need to watch out for.  I live in AZ so need to make sure the bike is not prone to over heating.  Does the Concours have any high dollar maintenance issue I need to be aware of?  I do most of my own maintenance.  Any help I can get would be much appreciated.  Thanks

I would recommend a 2015 -2018 and as far as maintenance the biggest issue will be when you need to do a Valve adjustment , there is a lot of info on these forums about that! Good luck it is a great motorcycle IMHO,

Offline TheEdge900

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Is there anything specific that was upgraded in 2015 that makes them more desirable than previous years? 

Offline FTB530

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Is there anything specific that was upgraded in 2015 that makes them more desirable than previous years?
Lower first gear
Steering head bearing is different to help with lower speed maneuvers!
Windshield has a vent to help with the buffeting caused by backpressue!
Seat is supposed to be better, I havent been on one older then 16 but I have already bought two seats hoping to 8mprove the stock seat and they have been better then stock by far!

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 05:28:14 AM »
Had an 08 and now a 13. Not sure I am looking to trade for anything newer to take advantage of the upgrades just yet. Had 90K on the first bike and 40 K on the present one. Sat the 700 as it looked interesting when I saw one at a health club in Atlanta. I can see where you would be very comfortable on the C14 compared to the present bike. The only problem you will have is the better half yelling in your communicator to slow the hell down (mine does.....had to upgrade her from the Harley to a BMW)

I think there are excellent buys on gently used bikes on this and the COG forum and lots of friendly folk who will help you with maintaining them and tech questions. My 08 was bought with 4k on the clock and I was able to extend the warranty from the 3 years out to the 9 years so that is something that is worth looking into to see if you are buying a bike that is used. If the PO has kept it up and extended it that is a plus.

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
Hi Edge, and welcome from another new member.  I just got a '12 Connie and am thrilled with it!  Like you, I also considered a Goldwing but yeah, even going back as far as '06 will likely set you back $10k or more for an ABS model unless it has a lot of miles on it.  And did you check out what's involved in changing the air filter?  It's literally an all day job because the whole top of the bike has to be removed.  That, plus worrying about all those electronics going south and commuting in stop-and-go each day on a 900 lb. bike brought me back to my original plan of getting a comparatively svelte sport-tourer instead.

And sure, some wish the Connie had more creature comforts like cruise control, heated seat, and electronically adjustable suspension.  But really, if you look at how Connies are equipped for their price - especially the '10 - '12 models IMO - they're really a good value.  In fact, the technology and instrumentation on them compares quite favorably against similar model year FJRs, ST1300s, and even the much more expensive Beemer K-bikes.  I got a '12 so I could just pay cash for it, but I understand the newer models have some nice upgrades and are often available at pretty sweet prices. 

And don't believe what some reviewers have said about them being difficult at real slow speeds.  I creep along in slow and go traffic without putting my feet down just as easily as I did on my Suzuki Bandit 1250, which was about 175 lbs. lighter.  So yeah, they lack a few bells and whistles compared to Goldwings, but they still provide the comfort to go coast-to-coast or commute or run errands on.  Their versatility makes them stand out.  And if you ever ride with a bunch of 'Wing and Harley guys, the Connie's sexy lines and crazy power will definitely mark you as the "bad boy".  Just had to throw that in since at 61, I'm still not ready to hit the "Old Fart" button. ;D