Author Topic: Aftermarket Front Caliper Bolts Source  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Aftermarket Front Caliper Bolts Source
« on: May 09, 2022, 04:47:27 PM »
I had the typical seized front caliper bolts. I was able to reuse them on the side I was able to get out. But I knew I'd need new ones. I bought the ones linked below and they're great. They also use a 8mm hex instead of a 6mm. That makes it A LOT easier to get out.

https://amazon.com/dp/B08L6QVTHW
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Aftermarket Front Caliper Bolts Source
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 02:20:21 AM »
I Copper greased (anti-seize) mine the first time I removed them. I've never had a problem since. I clean and re-grease them every time.
Copper grease has the advantage of lubricating them but once it heats up it acts like a kind of Loctite to prevent the bolt from coming undone by itself, but the layer of copper between the 2 surfaces prevents them from seizing or corroding.
Just be careful not to over-torque them or you will end up buying new fork lowers.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 08:52:20 AM »
I remedied the overtightness on the side I could get off. One of these days I'll do something with the other side. I think I can weld a sacrificial bit in the bolt and get them out that way.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 04:57:20 AM »
I remedied the overtightness on the side I could get off. One of these days I'll do something with the other side. I think I can weld a sacrificial bit in the bolt and get them out that way.
Or just weld a scrap bit of steel to the end of the bolt and use that for leverage. Either way, a bit of heat on the fork lower works wonders but it's aluminium so not too hot!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK