Author Topic: Progressive shock question and spark plug wire change  (Read 4692 times)

voileauciel

Progressive shock question and spark plug wire change
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »
Greetings!

I've just had the Sonic 1.2 springs installed in the front. This has made for a massive improvement in overall handling, but now I'm realising just how crummy the rear shock is.

So, my question is: how is the Progressive rear shock combined with these springs?

Has anyone run Sonic 1.2 front springs, Progressive rear shock and BT45 tyres? I'm looking at finally giving up on the OEMs as they're just too nervous at high speed.

Also, I see murph has new wires and boots on his site. Is this a straightforward setup or do I need to cut those wires first? I've only ever done this on a car and the wires came as a set for that engine.

Thank you all in advance!
 ;D

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: Progressive shock question and spark plug wire change
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
Greetings!

I've just had the Sonic 1.2 springs installed in the front. This has made for a massive improvement in overall handling, but now I'm realising just how crummy the rear shock is.

So, my question is: how is the Progressive rear shock combined with these springs?

Has anyone run Sonic 1.2 front springs, Progressive rear shock and BT45 tyres? I'm looking at finally giving up on the OEMs as they're just too nervous at high speed.

Also, I see murph has new wires and boots on his site. Is this a straightforward setup or do I need to cut those wires first? I've only ever done this on a car and the wires came as a set for that engine.

Thank you all in advance!
 ;D

Before spending money for new wires check into installing the stick coils instead. TCro on the forum here can fix you up.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »
I'll second Jim's suggestion for the stick coils. see T Cro's ad at the top of the For sale section. Excellent value and a real upgrade.

I have the progressive rear shock and it works very well. Being a direct bolt in makes it an easy if pricey upgrade. You can also get the C14 shock to fit with a little bit of work. It will bring the bike up in height so if that doesn't work for you then the progressive is the next best option I believe. C14 shocks are anywhere from $175 to $400 when I looked at them last.
I have the progressive fork springs in the front so the combo is an improvement for sure over stock.

Haven't any experience with the BT tires other than having put them onto a few wheels for others. I'm trying to run some tread of the ME880's so I can get some Avons. 

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »
Before spending money for new wires check into installing the stick coils instead. TCro on the forum here can fix you up.

+1  :thumbs:
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »
 T-Cro's stick coils.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=61.0
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:21:48 AM »

I first replaced my original wires with the ones from Murph.  They are precut to the proper length but you of course have to screw the wires into the coils and new boots.  You also pull off the rubber well caps from the old wires and reuse on the new wires.  Easy and straightforward stuff.  I also installed the stick coils and would recommend switching to those if you have the $.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
I have a Progressive shock and Race Tech springs and emulators and I'm very happy with the combo.   The stock stuff wasn't doing it for me; old components with lots of miles on them. 

I also use Murph's spark plug wires and they work just fine. 

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
I have the front progressives and the rear with brt45's.  Nice and solid.  cruises well at 140km/h.

voileauciel

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:03:13 PM »
I have the front progressives and the rear with brt45's.  Nice and solid.  cruises well at 140km/h.

Excellent! How's she do at 200km/h? One thing I'm really starting to dislike with the Dunlops is the high speed dance. Didn't have this with Pirellis, Avons or Metzelers. Haven't had the Bridgestones yet and am hoping to finally find a tyre that "sticks" to pardon the pun.

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
I ran it up to 220 once out of curiosity and facing my fear.  the only shimmy was in the windshield but i have not run sustained at those speeds. 

voileauciel

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
220?!?! That's ~136mph.

I didn't think this bike could go that fast...

Quickest I've ever been, is somewhat under that, and she felt so unstable I backed off.

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 05:00:46 AM »
I have the Sonic 1.2 and Progressive 465 rear shock.  I am running Avon AM 41 and 42 Tires.  These changes improved the ride 100%.  At least in my opinion.
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline medicevans

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:12:34 AM »
220?!?! That's ~136mph.

I didn't think this bike could go that fast...

Quickest I've ever been, is somewhat under that, and she felt so unstable I backed off.
I had mine up to true 115. If your speedo is off, 136 might actually be more like 125. Given enough road, I think it could do 125 easy.