Author Topic: Prescription Sun Glasses  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Designwerks2021

Prescription Sun Glasses
« on: June 08, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking at getting some prescription sun glasses for motorcycle riding.  I was considering buying online (I have prescription)... wondering if

1. Anyone has purchased prescription sun glasses online (what was the experience)?
2. Name or URL of place of purchase.

I can get them locally, and may still do so, just wondering what others are doing, when needing sun protection / vision with corrective lens.

John

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Prescription Sun Glasses
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 03:18:41 PM »
I only use helmets that have sun visors built-in.  Glasses or not.

In the last year, my vision is bad enough I finally have to wear my prescription glasses while riding.  It is yet another hassle.  But it is nice being able to see well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:27:32 PM »
I have lined bifocals and use clip-ons... work well...not expensive...don't have to keep track of another set of glasses.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 05:15:42 PM »
I've got photo-grey lenses plus my flip down sun visor.
That combination works for me.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »
I've got photo-grey lenses plus my flip down sun visor.  That combination works for me.

Interesting.  If that is working, it means your both your clear visor and flip-down visor are not proving UV protection?  Photo-grey/brown lenses typically need a significant amount of UV to darken.  This would be concerning to me (because a lack of UV protection in something that tints will cause eye damage, since human pupils will open/widen in less visible light).  Although I think I read somewhere that there are some newer types of photo-grey that can darken with visible light?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 07:47:25 PM »
I understand what you’re saying Max but I haven’t really noticed that.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline cra-z1000

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 08:52:06 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 12:11:55 AM »
Anything more than very thin metal wires would likely be painful under a helmet for many people.  Most of those plastic sunglasses I see have huge, thick arms/ear hooks.

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »
I don't wear prescription glasses but I have come to like polarized safety glasses a lot. Scenery pops - the sky is bluer, grass is greener. Glare is reduced so I can see people in oncoming cars (for better or worse). I ride with a full face helmet with the visor up so the glasses should have some impact resistance since insects are directed right at my eyes (6'3", stock windshield). The frames squeeze between my abnormally large head and the too snug XL Shoei helmet just fine for the first 8 hours. When I flip the helmet face shield down (in the rain) the polarized glasses make oncoming car windshields strobe with really unnatural colors.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 05:00:44 PM »
I *love* polarized lenses.  All my sunglasses have always been polarized.  It cuts glare and also typically allows one to see "through" vehicle windows which improves safety (because one can see more of what is ahead).  They can do strange things to LCD screens, though.... especially if they are poor quality.

I had always hoped one of my helmets would offer a polarized drop-down instead of just tinted, but nope.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 07:09:02 PM »
I get "Transistions" lenses with my prescription glasses.  I assume this is a brand of the "photo-gray".  You can get them in either gray or brown. I have used them with 6 or 8 different helmets and they defintely darken in sunlight.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »
I wear clear and  dark sunglasses, two pairs, one each. It never bothered me as I've always done it, my sunglasses are the wrap around sports type with thick bars. The last time I ordered any optical product by mail was when I sent in my RX and had a set of vintage type goggles I wear with my vintage type helmet when I ride my vintage Triumph, no problems. The way things are made now and all the computer controls in place makes me think I'd do it again, no worries.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 03:34:35 AM »
My better half just bought some prescription sunglasses for use when driving and she loves them.
She ordered them from an online company and they arrived in 9 days and are perfect for her.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK