Author Topic: New Rotors from China  (Read 26365 times)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: New Rotors from China
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »
Not to say EBC would give you new ones if they warp, but I'd think you would have a better chance of it.
Actually If you buy EBC pads and rotors together and they warp EBC will replace the rotors.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

enim57

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:14 AM »
Their advertisment states the discs are made from "Stainless steel 420 (2Cr13)". Grade 420 is hardenable due to the high carbon content (for stainless), this grade is commonly used for surgical scalpels, knives, etc because of its hardenability. It should be OK for discs and not rust, see attached data sheet.

Regards, Russell

Offline mlf73

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »
I've had my Chinese front rotors on for almost a year now.  Still working fine and haven't seen any indication of rust yet.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
I bet EBC rotors are also made in China... 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline throb

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »
Any further reports on these now that you've had them on for a month or so?  Likes or dislikes?
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
Still happy, no rust or warping.  Gone over 2000 Km since installed.

Offline throb

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 05:18:02 AM »
 :chugbeer:
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 06:05:23 AM »
About a month on mine and no complaints.
Look great. Stop great.
However the Carbonne Lorainne pads I got @ Murphs are the squeakiest pads I have ever used.
Probably gonna change em out for something different as soon as I have the $$
'02 C-10

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
The EBC Sintered work well. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
apply silicone to back of pads to stop the squeal

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 05:55:14 AM »
apply silicone to back of pads to stop the squeal
Silicone lube?
Or silicone sealant?
'02 C-10

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
the silicone sealant.  Just a thin smear.  I let it dry first but I have been told it is not necessary to let it dry.  It stops the vibrations between the caliper and pad.  I have used both the water based and regular silicone with good results.

Offline deadzed

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
I installed a set of these on Friday then did a 600mi weekend with about 200mi of serious twisties.
They work great & I'm quite pleased with them.
“And I to my motorcycle. Parked like the soul of the junkyard restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off up Highway 106, continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed. Wild to be wreckage forever”
James Dickey

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

enim57

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
My rotors arrived 10 days after ordering from China to Australia. US$219 for 3 rotors including delivery. Fitted them yesterday and bedded them in with about 150 km of riding including some with pillion and all is good so far, smooth and no shuddering. I haven't ridden for about 6 months but these rotors don't seem to have the same power as the previous carbon steel units, there is a lot of lost friction area in the slots and notches around the outside. Might try a new set of pads.

Regards, Russell

Offline KenE

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
My rotors arrived 10 days after ordering from China to Australia. US$219 for 3 rotors including delivery. Fitted them yesterday and bedded them in with about 150 km of riding including some with pillion and all is good so far, smooth and no shuddering. I haven't ridden for about 6 months but these rotors don't seem to have the same power as the previous carbon steel units, there is a lot of lost friction area in the slots and notches around the outside. Might try a new set of pads.

Regards, Russell

If you were indeed used to running "carbon steel" rotors you would indeed lose some braking friction switching to stainless steel as they have different coefficients of friction. Whereas in truth there is little lost friction in the area of the slots and notches around the outside as these actually increase the total amount of leading edges for the brake pad to grab at; otherwise high performance brake rotors would still be solid surface not drilled or slotted. You trade leading edges for surface area.

You should always install new pads with new rotors or at the very least break the glaze on the old pads on 60 grit or rougher sand paper; I've used the concrete shop floor in a pinch to rough up pads.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

enim57

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 02:30:23 AM »
Hi Tony,
I did expect the coefficient of friction to be less but not to this extent, and I understand the theory of having holes/slots/grooves. Interestingly a lot of performance discs are grooved and don't have holes all the way through, I did this with my carbon steel discs. I don't know if you've seen these Chinese discs but the slots taper from 10mm to 7mm wide and the notches are aproximately 20mm wide by 8mm deep, all that is quite a lot.

I did a lot of deglazing of the pads with 120 grit paper and then washed them with "Electroclean", it's for cleaning electric motors/brushes and dries without residue. I didn't want any carbon steel particles embeded in the old pads to transfer to the stainless steel discs.

Regards, Russell

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 05:14:11 AM »
Did any of you guys who bought these Chinese rotors fit the rear rotor?
It's only 5mm thick and the OEM rear is 8mm.
Any problems with the rear?

I have an 89 with zrxmopars early model brackets carrying Nissin (CBR900) calipers.
Anyone else out there running an early model C10 with Nissin calipers?
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 05:16:33 AM »
Did any of you guys who bought these Chinese rotors fit the rear rotor?
It's only 5mm thick and the OEM rear is 8mm.
Any problems with the rear?

I have an 89 with zrxmopars early model brackets carrying Nissin (CBR900) calipers.
Anyone else out there running an early model C10 with Nissin calipers?
Im still running stock on my 86; but you have my attention
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."