Author Topic: JIS screwdriver source?  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Cagedodger

JIS screwdriver source?
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »
Hi all.

Long time, no post. I've let my poor Connie sit for too long and I wanted to give it the proper treatment before getting back on the road. I figure it'll need a good carb cleaning and I figured now might be as good a time as any to finally get a Japanese Phillips screwdriver. Could anyone point me towards a good source for one? Preferably one that won't break the bank (or demand my unborns for shipping purposes)?

Bonus question, does anyone have a source for stainless steel socket cap screws to replace the OEM butter-screws?

Thanks all!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: JIS screwdriver source?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:08:08 AM »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:45:18 AM »
www.mcmaster.com can fill the bill on both counts...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=hvec28

If you plan on tossing the screws why bother with the JIS driver? I've never not been able to get stuck screws out with nothing more than a good fitting phillips and some PB-Blaster penetrating oil.

You can also buy the SS Carb Screws in kit form from our good friend Murph @ www.murphskits.com

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_95&products_id=78
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Cagedodger

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »
Thanks guys.

I thought about skipping it and going with a regular #2, but I like to use new projects as excuses to get new tools. Even if it is only loosely validated.  :D

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
Stock screws are not very good. Throw them out and get a set of S.S. screws.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »
I find a #3 Phillips works well sometimes on stock Japanese screws -- the extra grip at the edges can work well.

Offline emjayw

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
All of the stock screws on the fairing are #3 Phillips, not #2.  If you're "cammimg out" with a #2, try using a #3 and I think you'll be happy.  (Much cheaper too than a JIS driver)  Good, multi-tip models can be had cheaply at Harbor Freight stores.  I carry a short 4.5" handle along with a 3" #3 tip under the seat with the stock tool kit.  Haven't rounded out a single screw since I went to this setup.   Mike in TX