Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 243759 times)

Offline O.C.

Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #860 on: November 05, 2016, 02:15:14 AM »
There is plenty military aircraft activity where we live, maybe because there is a huge army base very close by, consequently it's not unusual to see different types of military aircraft including helicopters

Whilst out walking my dog two days ago I heard this very loud helicopter, I knew it wasn't a Chinook as the noise they make is instantly recognisable, but because I couldn't see what was making the noise  (low tree line) I couldn't identify it

As it disappeared I caught a quick glimpse and think it was one of these.....now I'm no aircraft buff and certainly no expert, but are these things quite rare  ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vglHpvcK-Jk 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #861 on: November 06, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
Just saw a few in Florida a few weeks ago, lots of military planes around there too, yes, they do have a distinctive sound. I think, but not sure,  only the U.S. Marine Corps. fly them so you won't see very many of them compared with other branches of the service.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #862 on: November 07, 2016, 05:10:57 AM »
There is plenty military aircraft activity where we live, maybe because there is a huge army base very close by, consequently it's not unusual to see different types of military aircraft including helicopters

Whilst out walking my dog two days ago I heard this very loud helicopter, I knew it wasn't a Chinook as the noise they make is instantly recognisable, but because I couldn't see what was making the noise  (low tree line) I couldn't identify it

As it disappeared I caught a quick glimpse and think it was one of these.....now I'm no aircraft buff and certainly no expert, but are these things quite rare  ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vglHpvcK-Jk

Not rare at all where I live, which is very near Fort A. P. Hill.  https://www.army.mil/aphill#org-about

They (Osprey's) were flying all about at dusk   Quite loud and different from ordinary helicopters.  Typically they are Marine versions training at A. P. Hill.  I actually have a coffee cup with one of them pictured on it.  Got it from a guy that worked with the Osprey development program when I sold a car to him.  Also worked with a former Marine officer that was part of the early development of that aircraft.

There were some AF Osprey's based in Mildenhall back in 2014 but not sure if they are still there.  They were for special ops.  https://theaviationist.com/2014/10/14/osprey-against-moon/
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #863 on: November 07, 2016, 05:22:03 AM »
Are those things still falling out of the sky?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #864 on: November 07, 2016, 07:00:20 AM »
Quite accurate :)

I saw 160 knots indicated airspeed today, or about 180 knots true airspeed (~205 MPH GPS ground speed), in a gentle decent. No indication of flutter.

I look forward to the day when I can fly a passenger (like say a voluntary motor-scooter driver who has no idea what they're getting into) up in an experimental plastic aeroplane that a knuckle dragger built in his basement for a 'low pass' at 200+ MPH :)

Rick

Nice! That is moving right along. Last weekend I went flying with a friend that has a Mooney 201. Our cruise ground speed was 161 knots (I was in the right seat right and the Avidyne GPS was right in front of me). I don't remember the power setting but this is a 200 hp IO-360 and Mooney's are not slow.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #865 on: November 07, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »
They're using them a lot these days so I think the reliability of them has improved substantially.  They first flew in 1989 so they've had some time to make them better. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #866 on: November 07, 2016, 07:16:33 AM »
Are those things still falling out of the sky?

Not around here....I hope  ;) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #867 on: November 07, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »
I remember early models were hard on the passengers. I didn't know if they fixed them or if they were just writing off collateral damage.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #868 on: November 07, 2016, 07:48:11 AM »
The V-22 Osprey had 7 hull-loss accidents with a total of 36 fatalities. During testing from 1991 to 2000 there were four crashes resulting in 30 fatalities.[1] Since becoming operational in 2007, the V-22 has had three crashes resulting in six fatalities including one combat-zone crash,[2] and several minor incidents.   This was out of 200+ aircraft as of 2014.

Offline SapperLdr

« Reply #869 on: November 09, 2016, 08:03:20 PM »
The V-22 has some unique flight characteristics that were a tough learning curve.  Not unlike the AV8 when it was first fielded. One thing they can't due is hover for a significant amount of time especially in ground effect.  Unfortunately when a transport aircraft crashes it usually kills more then one person. 
Living the dream in Arizona.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #870 on: November 10, 2016, 08:26:21 AM »
The V-22 is an impressive technological marvel. Just not convinced the benefits justify the cost.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #871 on: November 10, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
Thanks Jim and after reading that information I'll be keeping a eye out for any more around here, mind you if it decides to fall out of the sky I just hope I'm not nearby cos running certainly isn't part of my physical make up these days   :o   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #872 on: November 10, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »
The V-22 is an impressive technological marvel. Just not convinced the benefits justify the cost.

Or the risk. I've always been uncomfortable with that much complexity in the lift/thrust combination power plants.

Dan

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #873 on: November 10, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
Thanks Jim and after reading that information I'll be keeping a eye out for any more around here, mind you if it decides to fall out of the sky I just hope I'm not nearby cos running certainly isn't part of my physical make up these days   :o   

You've got more chance of an F-16 falling out of the sky than one of those in your neck of the woods..well, maybe Charlie's neck of the woods.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #874 on: November 10, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
You've got more chance of an F-16 falling out of the sky than one of those in your neck of the woods..well, maybe Charlie's neck of the woods.

True. I've seen hundreds of F-16's flying over me but have yet to see a V-22 in the air or on the ground.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #875 on: November 10, 2016, 09:12:49 PM »
Nice! That is moving right along. Last weekend I went flying with a friend that has a Mooney 201. Our cruise ground speed was 161 knots (I was in the right seat right and the Avidyne GPS was right in front of me). I don't remember the power setting but this is a 200 hp IO-360 and Mooney's are not slow.

Thanks  :chugbeer:

Canards have some quirky characteristics, but they do get from point "A" to point "B" in a fashionable manner. Don't think I mentioned, but I flew formation with a Bonanza V tail the other day. For such a heavy looking airplane, they scoot right along. *I* had a hard time keeping up, but I'm still in test phase with a new engine.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline O.C.

« Reply #876 on: November 11, 2016, 03:49:14 AM »

;D 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline slolifepilot

« Reply #877 on: November 17, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »
True. I've seen hundreds of F-16's flying over me but have yet to see a V-22 in the air or on the ground.
I got this photo in Paso Robles when this one came in to bring parts to repair the one in the background.  It never shut down, just landed, delivered, and split.  Probably didnt want to run the risk of shutting down and getting stuck too!!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #878 on: November 17, 2016, 05:19:55 PM »
fed x would have been cheaper

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #879 on: November 18, 2016, 05:16:23 AM »