Author Topic: Lost my keyfob.  (Read 9466 times)

Offline chile62

Lost my keyfob.
« on: September 17, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »
My 2012 only came with the keyfob,  and my dumba** managed to lose it.  I have researched this subject extensively and buying a new ECU and keyfob is not an option right now.  (might be an option if i get a tax refund in 2019).
Any other cheaper options that i might have missed?  (Ebay used ecu's do not come with the keyfob)

Offline PH14

Re: Lost my keyfob.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:07:20 AM »

Offline chile62

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  My research shows my 2012 requires 2010 thru 2014 ECM.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »
I have a used/repaired KIPASS ECU with 2 full function FOB's from my '08.  The ECU was damaged by a rather epic electrical malfunction (that I caused).  The ECU was repaired but I have not been able to install and test it because my KDS is an old version. (Still looking for the most recent version by the way...)

Anyway, long story short, if an '08 KIPASS ECU will not work with your model year perhaps someone out there has a need for it.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  My research shows my 2012 requires 2010 thru 2014 ECM.

You are correct.

The bike comes with two fobs, one active, one passive.  If you lose them both, you are toast and have no option but to replace the ECU, and it must be the correct one.  Lots of $$$.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
I was looking around and came across these guys. Worth an email to them to see if they can help

https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=493_1351_1355_1360&products_id=2556

2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 06:07:04 PM »
 :offtopic:    SORRY

Tree, When you say your KDS is an old version, what do you mean exactly - the software? 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
I was looking around and came across these guys. Worth an email to them to see if they can help

https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=493_1351_1355_1360&products_id=2556

don't think that's gonna help him..
you need a KEY CODE from an active or passive FOB.. to fire the bike to recieve info, and operate KDS 3.0

OR you need a NEW FOB, which comes with a CODE NUMBER on it's enclosed paper to input into the KDS under a manual install of a NEW fob...  but, reading the book, it's seeming like an existing linked FOB is still needed...

he needs an active FOB, and an ECU, which is prior matched.  along with a NEW (with code paperwork) FOB.

IIRC, current KDS is 3.0, revision 1, but may have been updated recently.. sorry, I can't help on that end.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Freddy

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:08:36 PM »
 :offtopic:  still

I just bought Ver 3.1.4  - latest available, p/n 57001-1802 for the CD.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »
:offtopic:    SORRY

Tree, When you say your KDS is an old version, what do you mean exactly - the software? 

My KDS software versions have an old database.  My new KIPASS ECU cannot be read by KDS so I can't test the original one.  Worst case scenario is that the repaired ECU is a P.O.S. and I am stuck with a bike that I have to trailer to the dealer.  That's basically what's up.  I need a newer version of KDS3 and I have run into a wall.  I have purchased used tools in the past and it kinda pisses me off that Mama Kaw has a death grip on this one.  Poor customer service if you ask me as far as the software is concerned - Dealers Only, what a bunch of crap.

p.s. I apologize for the crap.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 10:33:43 PM »
 :offtopic:  still

What version of the software & database do you have?  Just curious.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 06:03:59 AM »
My 2012 only came with the keyfob,  and my dumba** managed to lose it.  I have researched this subject extensively and buying a new ECU and keyfob is not an option right now.  (might be an option if i get a tax refund in 2019).
Any other cheaper options that i might have missed?  (Ebay used ecu's do not come with the keyfob)

Why did your bike come with only one fob? Did you not do any research on the possible consequences of having only one working fob?

This has been discussed over and over in this forum.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Freddy

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
My guess is that's all he got when he bought it - unless he doesn't recognise a credit card size immobiliser for what it is.

One doesn't need to research the consequence of losing the only fob/key/immobiliser/thingy one has does one?

He just hadn't got round to getting another yet, sadly for him - unless he has the c/card one somewhere.

Give him a break.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »
My guess is that's all he got when he bought it - unless he doesn't recognise a credit card size immobiliser for what it is.

One doesn't need to research the consequence of losing the only fob/key/immobiliser/thingy one has does one?

He just hadn't got round to getting another yet, sadly for him - unless he has the c/card one somewhere.

Give him a break.

I'll bet that one wishes one would have done the research before this, doesn't one?   ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chile62

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 07:26:31 AM »
Why did your bike come with only one fob? Did you not do any research on the possible consequences of having only one working fob?

This has been discussed over and over in this forum.

Guilty of not doing my research on lost keyfobs before buying a new to me motorcycle, I am.
Guilty of not knowing that a "credit card" should have come with the bike when i bought it from the H.D. dealer, I am
Guilty of not having had enough sense to have a back up keyfob made, I am.

Hopefully the above admission of guilt/stupidity has satisfied your needs.  now, do provide positive input to this thread, if you have it.

Offline chile62

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:37 AM »

I just e-mailed them.
Thank you very much.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 07:52:55 AM »

Guilty of not doing my research on lost keyfobs before buying a new to me motorcycle, I am.
Guilty of not knowing that a "credit card" should have come with the bike when i bought it from the H.D. dealer, I am
Guilty of not having had enough sense to have a back up keyfob made, I am.

Hopefully the above admission of guilt/stupidity has satisfied your needs.  now, do provide positive input to this thread, if you have it.

My apologies if I appeared to be too harsh.

On a positive note. You have a great bike and once you've spent $1k or so for a new ECU w/fobs you will have a great bike once again.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 08:17:32 AM »
.... a "credit card" should have come with the bike when i bought it from the H.D. dealer, I am

If there should be any guilt to speak of, it should be on the head of the previous owner that had the callous disregard as to trade in a C14 at a HD dealer!!!.
Making that poor girl sit there with all that chrome and leather fringe. Shivers!
The most constructive thing I can offer is for you to get a good photo of a credit card passive fob and go back to the Harley dealer with it and see if they can find it. It could be sitting
in the sales manager's junk drawer with them having no idea what it is. If you offer a $100.00 reward, (yeah, I know you shouldn't have to, but...) you know they'll look for it.
I'd look all over the bike to see if perhaps the previous owner secretly hid the credit card fob on the bike somewhere, as some do that. I'd also ask the dealer if they'd contact the previous owner to see if he still has the credit card fob. If he says "No, I gave it to you with the bike" then maybe they'll redouble their efforts to find it.

If you can find the credit card fob, then you are getting off the hook considerably cheaper. I lost my active fob but I still had the passive credit card one and now I have an active FOB, a second passive fob, all programed in by the dealer for less than $350.00 total. If you find it, be sure to check back here to get advice about programming your replacements, as not all dealers know how to do it properly. I had to coach mine a bit.

Best wishes.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
If there should be any guilt to speak of, it should be on the head of the previous owner that had the callous disregard as to trade in a C14 at a HD dealer!!!.
Making that poor girl sit there with all that chrome and leather fringe. Shivers!
The most constructive thing I can offer is for you to get a good photo of a credit card passive fob and go back to the Harley dealer with it and see if they can find it. It could be sitting
in the sales manager's junk drawer with them having no idea what it is. If you offer a $100.00 reward, (yeah, I know you shouldn't have to, but...) you know they'll look for it.
I'd look all over the bike to see if perhaps the previous owner secretly hid the credit card fob on the bike somewhere, as some do that. I'd also ask the dealer if they'd contact the previous owner to see if he still has the credit card fob. If he says "No, I gave it to you with the bike" then maybe they'll redouble their efforts to find it.

If you can find the credit card fob, then you are getting off the hook considerably cheaper. I lost my active fob but I still had the passive credit card one and now I have an active FOB, a second passive fob, all programed in by the dealer for less than $350.00 total. If you find it, be sure to check back here to get advice about programming your replacements, as not all dealers know how to do it properly. I had to coach mine a bit.

Best wishes.

:goodpost:

Offline chile62

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:43 AM »
My apologies if I appeared to be too harsh.

On a positive note. You have a great bike and once you've spent $1k or so for a new ECU w/fobs you will have a great bike once again.

No worries, its all good :)

Thanks.