Author Topic: ZGGTR vs COG Forum  (Read 27886 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: ZGGTR vs COG Forum
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Is it really that strange? I am an American, born and bred, and proud of it but I have always seen the British point of view regarding out revolution (or our treason from their point of view). Had the American Revolution failed, the history written about it would have been very different than what I was taught at American schools and would have gone something like: 'The gov't put down a fairly serious rebellion between the years 1775 and 17XX'.  These questions of nationality and patriotism are usually not as simple as they may appear at first. A good, loyal German performing his correct and necessary duty in 1943 may well have been tried for being a war criminal in 1946 so again, I believe the question of loyalty and 'doing the right thing' can easily come into conflict.

Brian

Strange turn....but ok.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »
So are you saying that if you aren't a member of COG you should be tried as a war criminal?  That members of this forum are considered rebellious (although I can identify with that) and should have stayed with the COG crown (not that there's anything wrong with wearing a crown or a helmet)?  A bit confused with your analogy, Brian.   You're making my brane hurt again.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »
I was replying to the person who said he thought going against a group that a person belongs to in public is wrong and should not be done. He further said that a primary code in the Marine Corps was unity.

Given those rules, any good German in 1943 would be supporting the war effort in any way, including killing people wholesale, right? After all, the rule is we do not go against the 'organization' publicly.

I specifically compared that position, always support the 'organization' with the US Revolution: were not our founding fathers in fact being traitorous to King George, their sovereign and 'organization' (the British Crown) leader?

So there is the question: should no one publicly dissent from an organization that person is a member of? The gentleman to whom I was responding gave an extremely clear, very 'black and white' view; I am merely trying to question how that view fits in various formats.

And the issue being discussed has absolutely nothing to do with COG whatsoever. But of course I assume you were just making a joke and forgot the  ;D 

Brian

So are you saying that if you aren't a member of COG you should be tried as a war criminal?  That members of this forum are considered rebellious (although I can identify with that) and should have stayed with the COG crown (not that there's anything wrong with wearing a crown or a helmet)?  A bit confused with your analogy, Brian.   You're making my brane hurt again.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
Hey, if nothing else, at least this place is not as quiet as a morgue anymore....

:rotflmao:

Brian

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
((this post is making me remember why I am glad there is no cost to join this forum.)) 

Like Chet [whose former C14 resides in my garage when I am not leaving black Pirelli stripes on the local mountain roads], I am voting with my $$$.  Unlike Chet, that means I am not a COG dues payer.  Hey, Chet!

Jim, are you deliberately baiting Brian, or what?  If not, I think you are reading the analogy too literally.  A person may have loyalties on one side of the argument and not the other.  But that does not make the other side wrong, nor their argument or cause invalid. 

Oh, and flame away.  We have German ancestors.  Who came to the US before it was the US. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
Interesting. It is usually a very large, bouncing pair of breasts you post at this point Jay. :-)

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
No cost? Sucked at least a few of your [limited supply of minutes of] life out of you. And what could be more valuable?

Swing by Chet's house and put on an auxiliary fuel tank- he and I developed a process you have to see to believe.   :yikes: :rotflmao:

Brian

((this post is making me remember why I am glad there is no cost to join this forum.)) 

Like Chet [whose former C14 resides in my garage when I am not leaving black Pirelli stripes on the local mountain roads], I am voting with my $$$.  Unlike Chet, that means I am not a COG dues payer.  Hey, Chet!

Jim, are you deliberately baiting Brian, or what?  If not, I think you are reading the analogy too literally.  A person may have loyalties on one side of the argument and not the other.  But that does not make the other side wrong, nor their argument or cause invalid. 

Oh, and flame away.  We have German ancestors.  Who came to the US before it was the US.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
Brian, I am 1200.8 miles South of Chet's.  Not making the trip this week!

Do tell...auxiliary tank??  I have one plumbed for the C10 that I used in the three day Utard 1088 a few years ago.  Made for 11 gallons of goodness at a time.  Do tell!

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

Baiting Brian?  Interesting thought, but no.  It's not in my make up to 'bait' people.  I just respond to what's been said based on the voices in my head at any one time.  My question was for clarification.  Brian answered that question.

As far as dues for this forum, you should have gotten the bill when you joined us.  I admit I've been somewhat lax in that regard.  I can resend it if you wish.  As far as Germans go, one of my best riding buddies was full German.  I miss him greatly as we've drifted apart.  Same as Max with his friend.  However, if you mention Germans to my mom, who was bombed by them in WWII....she has a different opinion not easily swayed by time and took that same opinion to her grave.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »
And ruin this perfectly good thread with offtopic nonsense? NEVER!

Well, OK cause I am waiting for some electrons to finish up moving.

Once upon a time, there was dis guy from the east coast who rode all the way across the US of A on a motorcycle. One of the very painful aspects of the trip was getting about 13 miles to the gallon in SD (due to unbelievable headwinds ALL the way) and short- tanking because of it. So with grit, determination, $11 in materials and Chet's unwavering help (and the extremely generous use of his garage and machine shop- thanks Chet!), those two fellas proceeded to do a surprising (ly bad) job of whittlin' a 5 gallon plastic fuel jug, some rubber tubing, a few brass fittings and various washers, O-rings, quick dry epoxy ("This stuff will stop any leak"..... sure it will) into a weapon of mass destruction. Truly it was remarkable.... in the speed at which it spewed forth gasoline from multiple points. After several re-works, a trip through the lathe with the tank fitting, quite a few bad words strung together in new and exciting forms- Viola! A perfect set up! Aux. tank strapped to the passenger seat (with some nylon belting, string and a bungee cord IRRC), our hero kissed Chet goodbye and raced off to the nearest fuel station to fill said aux. tank and bask in the happiness of almost unlimited range. But what really happened was that he ended up basking in the every widening pond of gasoline under his feet. Hmmmm. At first it seemed like something might be leaking but upon closer examination, everything was leaking and not just a little either. So, back to Chet's house to try and spiff up that mess.... and of course, escape the scene of the crime and leave it to the EPA Superfund.

Back at Chet's place, we found out where it went wrong and corrected it. Whew, that was close. Again 'dat guy' rides off into the sunset with a shiny new fuel tank on the bike ready to ride to the other coast. Have you ever noticed that you can get the words "WHEN SUDDENLY" into just about any sentence in the English language? Well.... dat guy was staying at his son and daughter- in- law's apartment whist (Limey word, just for you Jim) on the west coast and rode happily from Chet's to the gas station, fueled everything up, than rode to his son's apartment and parked for the night. Got up the next day, went outside to the bike for some reason or other WHEN SUDDENLY, the stench of gasoline filled his nostrils. Gee, could it be his bike? Nah, no way, it was just some cosmic coincidence.... but upon further examination, it did seem that the large gasoline soaked asphalt spot was directly under his motorcycle. Several emotions now: fear, terror, embarrassment, fear, shock, amazement, and a sudden need to escape the scene.

So our intrepid guy rides off (carefully 'cause the ground really was very slippery) in search of some way to address this.... situation. He ended up at a local Auto Zone, with his son (driving a car and bringing tools), pulling the fuel tank off the bike. Lots of paper towels trying to mop things up, a new store- bought container to drain the bike's fuel tank into and some disassembly. Ah, there is the problem: the O-ring on the inside of the fitting is all cut up from something: stick a new O-ring in there and re-fill the tank (partially) with fuel and get ready to bask in the goodness of a non- leaking fuel tank. WHEN SUDDENLY it was leaking again.... and the new O-ring turned out to be cut up like the last one. ?? Bear in mind that all during this entire escapade, I... er, I mean 'that guy' is going back and forth into the store to buy tools, O-rings, washers, etc., etc. and each time I enter the place, I smell more and more like a Chevron refinery. (note: the manager of the store came out to see what I was going (of course) and was absolutely great about it- he just asked me that when I was done if I had spilled anything that did NOT evaporate to let them know so they could clean it up- KUDOS Auto Zone). Upon further examination, it was the nasty burr left inside the fuel tank from the step drill that was eating the O-rings and causing the leak. As the guy with the bike did not have anything to take care of that, he used two fiber washers with a healthy helping of silicone seal and Viola! again- it did not leak.

Happily Ever After. The End.

So you should make the effort to go to Chet's house and add a temporary auxiliary fuel tank 'cause I gots to tells ya', it is the most exciting two days you could possibly have with a motorcycle. By the way, I am of course not blaming ANY of this on Chet, I did the work and it was all my fault of course. But Chet did come up with the soundbite that summed up the whole project: when we were done (the first time, not the seventh time) and were standing there looking at the monstrosity that it was, I said something like 'As bad as that looks, I do not think there is anything actually illegal there'. To which Chet responded: 'Yeah, they haven't gotten around to making every bad idea illegal..... yet.'    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Brian, I am 1200.8 miles South of Chet's.  Not making the trip this week!

Do tell...auxiliary tank??  I have one plumbed for the C10 that I used in the three day Utard 1088 a few years ago.  Made for 11 gallons of goodness at a time.  Do tell!

saxman

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
Interesting. It is usually a very large, bouncing pair of breasts you post at this point Jay. :-)

Brian

I'll take bouncing breasts over diarrhea of the mouth on a bike forum any day...  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
Well, I guess I would two if those are our only two choices. Are those our only two choices Jay?

Brian

I'll take bouncing breasts over diarrhea of the mouth on a bike forum any day...  :)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »
Yes they are. Now shhhhhhh.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2014, 04:05:22 PM »
You going to keep us in suspense or tell us which group is more sensitive.

;)

Brian

No horse in this race... though I'm not a member of any club that would have me as a member.
Their standards would be to low.

This topic went off the tracks pages ago.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
Hey, you know what Jay? I owe you a public apology. I over-reacted a couple of days ago in this thread and was absolutely out of line with my response to you. I apologize and retract what I said. I was a bit angry, it was late and you just got caught up in my response- sort of like overspray. Of course that does not excuse my posts so again, I apologize and bear you no ill will. If you want, I would be happy to delete those posts or leave them as you wish- it is entirely up to you.

I am not asking for any type of response and understand perfectly if you remain cranky, deservedly so IMO but I did want to try and correct this such as I can, after the fact though it is.

Brian

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
I'm not sure Jay even knows how to get cranky.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
That may be true but his being very easy- going is not an excuse for me (or anyone) to behave badly towards him. Or try to get away with it after the fact and not own up to doing it in the first place. Jay has been around here since the early days of the C-14 at least, as have I, and we have had an association on this forum for quite a few years now. In all that time I have not known him to be mean spirited toward anyone in anyway and that actually makes my behavior even worse because Jay does not seem to have the usual 10% 'schmuck' in him that most of us do.

Brian

I'm not sure Jay even knows how to get cranky.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »
True- there is really only one thing left to do to finish it up.

KiPass!

Brian

<snip>

This topic went off the tracks pages ago.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
I don't know, he took my beer that I offered to him at my sister's house last year.
Even drank them in front of me.
Sheesh, what a jerk.

:chugbeer:
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"