Author Topic: Worst Military Movie Ever Made  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
Worst Military Movie Ever Made
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
heartbreak ridge. i can't even begin to list all the crap that's wrong with it.

EDIT: jarhead #1, heartbreak ridge a close #2.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:32:42 AM by Assassin 11B3P »
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Worst Military Movie Ever Made
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
My wife gets really annoyed with me when I nit pic a movie, but when I see something that isn't right it just rubs me the wrong way.  I agree with both of your choices, I would also like to add Hurt Locker to that list.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
There isn't a lot of movies that I just don't like. That's because they aren't documentaries, they are entertainment and I take it as such. We have a guy here at work that I stopped talking movies to because of the dumb things he would say. Take the Matrix, he says 'that movie sucks', I ask why, he says 'because it's not real, that can't really happen'.  :nuts:

I personally enjoy Heartbreak Ridge, but then again I like most everything Clint Eastwood has done.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
yeah hurt locker was a mystery to me...when it first came out i couldn't give 2 cents about it, but when i found out how avatar was really hardcore anti-military and that cameron's ex-wife was producing hurt locker, i went and saw it (still won't see avatar). was really happy HL won the oscar, too. but the movie itself? just dumb. it made it look like eod did/does everything.

i like clint's work a lot- sat through watching two airings of kelly's heroes back-to-back. but HR was just too much. when i found out he got all of the shooting done in 8 weeks, i totally believed it.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
The worst war movie .... after effect .... came from seeing The Deer Hunter

(for 3 days after seeing it .. many years ago in the theater .. wife and I felt the world was a much darker place)

Wife loved heart break hill, but she has a thing for Dirty Harry ......
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »
still haven't seen Deer Hunter yet. or Taxi Driver. or even Toy Story 2, though i have seen parts 1 and 3.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
On the other side of the worst, I just watched one of my kind of war related movies last night.  Red Dawn. 

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
red dawn...classic.

Bob

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:02 AM »
Well it's not a movie. But my all time most ridiculous show would be "The A Team"! Talk about stupid unrealistic shows. There's probably nothing close to reality in that show! I don't think any military movie could be as bad as that show!  :D

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
"TRASH BAGS! I WANT TRASH BAGS!"- Murdoch.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »
I'm sure I'll remember one of the worst war movies ever made if I see it again.  I tend to block that stuff out of my mind...

One thing that annoys me r.e. Iron Eagle, Top Gun, Wings Of The Apache, etc. is when they try to pass off F-5's, Drakens, etc. as Migs... totally ruins it for me!

Not that I really cared, but here's a running tally of Top Gun movie mistakes...
http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1312

Still enjoy Louis Gossett Jr., though.  He makes the Iron Eagle movies a little more tolerable for me anyways.

One of the best military movies is still Kelly's Heroes though!  Great cast, great lines!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
Stripes as a military movie wasn't good.  But Stripes as a plain comedy was hilarious.  I love some old Bill Murray.

YoDoc

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 02:28:06 PM »
If you want to see something interesting, look at the plot of Avatar vs. the plot of Fern Gully. 

Offline medicevans

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 02:39:50 PM »
+1 on the opposite side of worst being Red Dawn. I saw it for the first time when I was probably 10ish. Great movie. Go Wolverines!
Another great one or two is Andersonville and The Great Escape. Ooh ooh and The Longest Day. Thats three.  Well, maybe I ought to start a new thread. Lol

Tried watching the HL. Had to turn it off. What garbage.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
Nothing in Avatar was original, heck it was Pocahontas in the future.  The graphics were from okay to fantastic depending on what part of the movie it was.  I enjoyed Hurt Locker, loved Heartbreak Ridge as a kid, see it now and just think about how bad it is for realism but I still enjoy the story.  Kelly's Heroes Still an all time favorite along with the dirty dozen.   
...and a good time was had by all.

YoDoc

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »
It's not just that Avatar was unoriginal. It was literally Fern Gully Redux.

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
"Nam's Angels aka The Losers". Black Leather Bikers in Vietnam. I'll say no more.

click

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »
one thing from my point of view is that it's important to figure the movie's intent. stripes is funny as hell despite being totally unrealistic, movies like the longest day and a bridge too far are classics, though there are many moments of over-acting, but that was just because of the period. clint does some fine-ass work, but holy hell, heartbreak ridge was totally out there...it was striped without the laughs.

now something like jarhead is total bs, not only for the liberties it takes, but also because it was a bleeding heart liberal's attack on war itself. i've not been in the marines but i was in the 101 during desert shield/storm and i can tell you that there wouldn't be any chance of .01% of what was told in the movie could happen, especially in a recon unit where the discipline is ultra-high. hell, i remember people being threatened with article 15's if they used a shower that was designated for another company!

YoDoc

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »
<snip>hell, i remember people being threatened with article 15's if they used a shower that was designated for another company!

Lucky bastards had showers!?

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
Lucky bastards had showers!?

after we had been there a while, they built some rickety field showers at camp eagle II. each company had a few assigned to each with a half of a 55-gallon drum used to store the water, which of course was air temp. maybe got to use it a couple of times.