Author Topic: wow, thunder and lightnin lake effect snow...  (Read 6094 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
wow, thunder and lightnin lake effect snow...
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »
This is what its all about, 9+" and still coming down... two cars stuck in my ditch, and the snow machine is pumpin it out right over the house... outta be fun, as long as the power stays on...

And on top of it all, its thundering and lightenin flashes...woooo hoooooooo

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: wow, thunder and lightnin lake effect snow...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »
Wow, still bumpa to bumpa, never seen it like this.... gonna keep up thru Saturday...

Fresh gas, plug in the extension cord, press the button....
And woo hooo

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »
Looks like you could use this!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »
nahhhh.... overkill.

my machine was fine enough to chug thru 19" of snow last year, and I could do "walking paths" all around the yard for my dog to do walks, and poop in comfort... I love my dog...

ok...

ok, I just couldn't let this lay, I had to setup my cam, and kneel in the snow, and do my best for some Ansell Adam's shots... it was totally dark out, so these are digital time exposures, of my domain...
I hope you enjoy, and apreciate them as much as I do, every time I go pee, and look out my window..
 :great: :))

this will continue, I hope I have moonlight soon... these appear bright, but I assure you, that sky was totally black, and there are NO lights in the direction i shot these..

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 04:19:08 AM »
No snow over here in Atlantic Canada yet...but the weather man is threatening to deliver 5-10cm today (2"-4")...however, that's inland. We're getting rain here on the coast with a "possibility" of it turning to snow later on in the day....which means we'll just get more rain and a little bit of sloppy snow that will melt when it hits the ground.

The snow doesn't "stick" here in November...so I'm still hoping for a green (grey?...lol) Christmas;).

Have fun with the snowblower!

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 04:20:44 AM »
Hey Mr. Blues, where are you with all this snow? Upstate NY somewhere?
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:49:24 AM »

Somewhere outside of Cleveland Ohio I think he is.... My memory fails...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »
And here I've been complaining about a few cold days (in the 30's  :yikes:) here in Austin and driving my truck to work instead of taking the connie.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »

Nope, Mentor Ohio, we got 14", all lake effect, made the national news...
More to come.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
I guess I won't bother posting the photo of my bike this morning with a dusting of flurries....

I hate snow...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
+1 that and the cold.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »
Nope, Mentor Ohio, we got 14", all lake effect, made the national news...
More to come.

Ahh, ok. I didn't think you guys got much snow along the bottom of the lakes...well, of course I know that you DO get winter, but a big dump of it in November would be unusual wouldn't it?

I could live with the cold just fine...it's the snow and slop that I dislike. I can't really complain I guess...it doesn't get all that cold here...it's just the sleet and slush and salt I dislike.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
Ahh, ok. I didn't think you guys got much snow along the bottom of the lakes...well, of course I know that you DO get winter, but a big dump of it in November would be unusual wouldn't it?

I could live with the cold just fine...it's the snow and slop that I dislike. I can't really complain I guess...it doesn't get all that cold here...it's just the sleet and slush and salt I dislike.
That's what "lake effect" storms do... doesn't have to be really cold, just freezing or slightly below, with winds blowing the high level moisture from the lake onto the shore.. 32* seems to be all it needs, and 28* is ideal, living merely 2 miles from the shore, on a ridge parallel to the shore, exascerbates this effect.. we had 14", it stopped late last night when I was shooting pictures. Its started up agaian, and will continue on, I figure within the next couple days well have seen "24 fall, of course with these temps, it immediatly compresses.
I live along the zone where the shore takes a bend and heads northeast, and it is why it does this here, it kinda is like the storm hits a wall, and dumps... profuseley.
And yes, it is way to early for this syndrome, just the prevailing winds by happenstance... doesn't bode well, and untill the lake freezes, will continue... water temps are in the mid 40's still, t takes many days of below zero to freeze the lake.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 04:33:45 PM »
One of the most interesting phenomenon I've experienced regarding lightning  during a heavy snowstorm.  Apparently, that instance even has a name, thundersnow.  How fun!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

In my experience that night, you couldn't see the lightning, but every so often the whiteout conditions would be punctuated by a greenish flash - essentially from all around you.  Very eerie...

And yes, we have lake effect snow here by the Great Salt Pond (Lake).  Usually not nearly as intense as you easterners see though.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
The collision of the 2 weather fronts that resulted in this event, were very short in duration, maybe 2 hours total, but they were spectacular, it was daylight, and the first one caught me off guard, I thout a pole transformer blew up, then the baboooom... I've seen this many times, but it was really cool to be on that front... much more fun than being in the Sangreo Des Christe's mountains, leading pack horses to  a remote camp, and having your hair stand on end right before a lightning bolt errupted from your feet... on a 2'wide trail, on the side of a mountain... one side is mountain, the other a 2000' dropoff...
Ahhhh good times...

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »
Yeah, Thursday night it was thundering and lightning by my place too, when it snows so much, so fast and so big, the flakes create static electricity. SW of Cleveland OH. We got 5 inches total.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
jeebus... now we're sitting at 15* with 25-35mph gusts... all night... man that is rippin cold, it gives a windchill of like -20*.

no breaks till Saturday...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.72710&lon=-81.2483&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Yeah, no fun to work outside today. I had to actually wear long sleeves today.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
Could be in Buffalo....just sayin....

Buffalo Is About To Get Slammed With 6 Feet Of Snow And The Photos Are Already Wild

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/buffalo-6-feet-of-snow-tuesday-photos-2014-11#ixzz3JSmfvnxR

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »
watching the local Cleveland news, they had someone out on the shore of Lake Erie a bit n/e of us about 10 miles, it was whiteout, and 15*, with 30 mph winds.... and we ARE LUCKY... Look at what is gonna hit Buffalo NY... they are saying this storm is dumping 5 to 6 FEET on them this storm... whoaaaaaaa baby....

oops, you beat me to it..... ;)

the only thing keeping us above zero is the Lake aint froze...

for comparisons, this was 2001, and all this happened in 24 hours...from bare ground to this:

but it occurred in December...