Author Topic: Tank bolt torque  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
Tank bolt torque
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:15:52 AM »
Anyone know how tight the tank bolts should be? Can't see it in the manual.

The fuel pump bolts are given as 9.8(nm) 1.0(kgf.m) 87 in·lb  - should I aim for roughly the same?

Just finished replacing the fuel pump strainer. Expect a guide later today. Took so many pics the camera battery has died so waiting on that to charge up.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Tank bolt torque
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:46 AM »
Not in my service manual either.  I would just tighten them with a 3/8 ratchet until they're tight.  They're not that big a bolt.  There should be a table in the service manual for basic torque depending on the size of the fastener in Periodic Maintenance section, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »
I don't have my manual handy but isn't there a section at the front that gives the default torques based on fastener size?  I think I recall seeing that in there.

But my rule is, if in doubt, UNDER-tighten and use some loctite or similar product to ensure it doesn't come loose later.  Of course for critical items (axle nuts, brake rotor bolts, fork tube clamp bolts, etc.) you want to make sure you find the right torque and follow that carefully. 

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
As tight as you can get them with a 1/4" drive ratchet is plenty.

All four of those bolts are unusually long, so as long as they're snugged up they'll never fall out;).

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
Yeah, what Cory said. The way I tighten those small, incidental screws around the bike is to use a socket and a screwdriver type driver. Treat it like it was a Philips head screw, 'snug it up' and all will be well without any possibility of over-tightening it IMO.

Brian

As tight as you can get them with a 1/4" drive ratchet is plenty.

All four of those bolts are unusually long, so as long as they're snugged up they'll never fall out;).

Rem
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 04:24:41 AM »
Yeah, what Cory said. The way I tighten those small, incidental screws around the bike is to use a socket and a screwdriver type driver. Treat it like it was a Philips head screw, 'snug it up' and all will be well without any possibility of over-tightening it IMO.

Brian

Yup, I use my 1/4" drive ratchet ALL the time when working on bikes. You will not strip a bolt, or aluminum threads with a 1/4" drive....there's just not enough leverage there, but there's plenty of leverage to get M5, M6, and many M8 sized bolts and screws as tight as they need to be.

Speaking of tools and leverage, during my first job out of college as an industrial tech, many years ago now, I worked for this old guy named Mike. He was close to retirement and had spent two and a half decades in the engine room of an oil tanker that made runs to South America and back. He told me that when they started work in the engine room, all those years before, new mechanics were not allowed to use ratchets for the first whole year of employment...lol. They had to prove themselves worthy with the wrenches before they were able to graduate to ratchets. He used to worry every time he saw one of us working with a ratchet..."You're gonna strip that bolt" he'd say....lol, "why don't you use a wrench". A 1/2" drive ratchet was like the devil's hand to him...lol.

To this day, over 20 years later, I STILL use wrenches way more often than I should. 8)

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
Yep I had an old Master Chief I worked for and whenever he saw someone with a crescent wrench he would throw it over the side of the ship.
Young guys would easily round the heads off bolts with them all the time. He called them "Georgia micrometers"  ;D
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.