Author Topic: Rear Shock Not Holding Air?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline skidmarkrva

Rear Shock Not Holding Air?
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »
I recently bought my 2002 ZG back in April, and since then I've put just shy of 5000 miles on it. With my trip to Canada coming up next week, I've been going through the bike and I noticed my rear shock doesn't seem to hold pressure.
I use a $20 Slime air compressor to fill it, it screws onto the stem to prevent leaks, and the highest I set it is 40 PSI for two-up riding with gear (I'm 200, shes 110 and I had about 40 or 50 in the bags). I left it like that and never adjusted it, but I've noticed it's gotten very bouncy recently, especially riding two up. When I went to check it yesterday, it was at 0 PSI. I filled it back to 15 PSI, since I'm solo most of the time, but it still feels super bouncy over bumps.
My rebound is set to "2" in case that helps.
I'm hoping it's not shot, and maybe I simply have it set wrong? If I do have to replace it, what are my options besides the $850 OEM?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Rear Shock Not Holding Air?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
A used OEM. They are cheap on ebay.

Some buy aftermarket shocks for half the price of an oem.... Progressive shocks.

Offline skidmarkrva

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:48:09 PM »
Thanks, but that doesn't answer if mine is shot or I'm just not using it right. Is there a good way to test?

If I need to replace, I understand the C14 and ZZR1200 shocks fit with some modification. Has anyone tried the progressive 465-series shock sold by Murph's Kits? I'm a fan of new when it comes to things that go between myself and the ground.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
First make sure its not the air line or ftcittings.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »
Soapy water.If it isn't the fittings or lines it is the shock. Used ones should be easy to find. Shipping will be more than the cost of shock. Or go with the C14 as mentioned
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 03:48:11 AM »
Hopefully you've long since fixed this. I have my OEM from an '05. Only spend 2 yrs on the bike. Make an offer and its yours.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »
OEM used shocks can be bought on ebay for about $20-40 with free shipping.

You can match that from Italy???

Hopefully you've long since fixed this. I have my OEM from an '05. Only spend 2 yrs on the bike. Make an offer and its yours.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »
skidmarkrva, before you look for a shock, get some soapy water and check out the lines, fittings, and particularly the valve stem.

Also your filling method may not be working as you hope.
Reason is, a small escape of air when removing the air hose can lower the pressure drastically.

if all fails and you opt to get another shock, a C-14 shock is possible but {I think} raises the rear of the bike about 2".
There are ways to get around that, but takes some planning.

Ride safe, Ted