Author Topic: Planning a ride to Smokies and/or Shenadoah Valley  (Read 2368 times)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
Planning a ride to Smokies and/or Shenadoah Valley
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
I'm planning on a 3-day ride to the Dragon and points north, and I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on places to go and things to do in the East TN, Western NC and SW Virginia areas.

I like history and just about anything out of the ordinary.  Cool buildings, people, scenery, etc.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline shokdimn

• Yeah, I'll trailer it!
Re: Planning a ride to Smokies and/or Shenadoah Valley
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »
What month are you heading that way?  I was just over there last week.  The “dragon” was covered with “hotdoggers” :yikes:  LOL when we were there.  Had a very tasty burger and fries at the store at Deals Gap.

I don’t know if the Cherohala Skyway is on your agenda or not but it offers some beautiful scenery.  And, btw, I’ve stayed at the Lodge at Tellico before.  They have controlled access “covered” parking for bikes under one of the lodges.

Safe trip to ya. 
From a distance and without warning, relámpago!

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
Thanks Shokdimn.  I'm guessing 3rd week in may, maybe?  I'm traveling with a friend and am going to talk with him this weekend to see when he can get some time off.  I've got some days of vacation to burn before June 1 or I lose them, so definitely before then.

I've seen the Skyway recommended often enough that I'm going to have to check it out.  I know good roads over there are pretty easy to find, but I figured I'd see any the guys and gals here know of other cool stuff to see or experience.  We don't really have a purpose for the trip other than to get out and ride a bit, so we don't HAVE to set any firm destinations.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
Don't forget Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley. And I hope you like barbecue. Non better IMO.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
The apple orchard on the parkway has a hay ride that is pretty cool with story told history. Now if I could just remember the name of it: it is past 221 and before 181 I believe. Which brings to mind the Devils whip, the Diamondback, the snake, Roan Mountain, that dagum place off of the parkway up at the NC/Va border that is a little motorcycle town, on the road up from Lenoir.

If any of this interests ya, I can get more specific and figure out names when it is not zero dark thirty.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:38:22 AM »
Krambonz for Barbecue, in the Save a Lot parking lot in Telico Plains, TN. Check out the water fall about 6-8 miles from Telico, headed to NC. On a neat skinny little road between the rock wall and the river.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 05:56:36 AM »
The apple orchard on the parkway has a hay ride that is pretty cool with story told history. Now if I could just remember the name of it: it is past 221 and before 181 I believe. Which brings to mind the Devils whip, the Diamondback, the snake, Roan Mountain, that dagum place off of the parkway up at the NC/Va border that is a little motorcycle town, on the road up from Lenoir.

If any of this interests ya, I can get more specific and figure out names when it is not zero dark thirty.

Thanks again, guys.  Good stuff!  GP, I'd never heard of the Devil's whip before, but it looks pretty cool.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline shokdimn

• Yeah, I'll trailer it!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 06:13:34 AM »
Krambonz for Barbecue, in the Save a Lot parking lot in Telico Plains, TN.
Had a bbq there myself.  IMO, more than a generous serving for $6.

Got any idea of your route to and from the dragon?  Are you familiar with middle TN?
From a distance and without warning, relámpago!

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »
Had a bbq there myself.  IMO, more than a generous serving for $6.

Got any idea of your route to and from the dragon?  Are you familiar with middle TN?

I'm definitely going to try to check the BBQ.  I'm not a huge BBQ fan, but it sounds like it's worth the stop. 

We'll probably be traveling from Nashville on I-40E through Knoxville area and then south through Maryville.  If we do go this route, we'll probably make a couple runs through the Dragon, head down to the Cerahola skyway into NC, and then work our way north through NC toward VA or maybe back into TN depending on how we're doing time-wise.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Thanks again, guys.  Good stuff!  GP, I'd never heard of the Devil's whip before, but it looks pretty cool.

People that don't pay attention die on it, and try to hard end riding careers, so take it for what it is worth. On the weekend there is blindkenny out taking pics.