Author Topic: Riding to the Dragon tonight!  (Read 10479 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Riding to the Dragon tonight!
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:16:07 AM »
I have been on leave for the last two weeks and my 19 month old son has gotten pretty attached to me to the point of ignoring my wife. So she told me that I need to get out of the house for two or three days. She told me to go ride and not come home till Friday. I am leaving for Nashville this morning and will spend the night there and wake up early to hit the Dragon and The Devils Triangle tomorrow. Any other roads in the area that I can't miss on Wednesday and Thursday? I also need to get a new front tire, any of you have suggestions on good dealers that won't gouge me on the price.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
Re: Riding to the Dragon tonight!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:17:01 AM »
You get all the luck!  Enjoy and be careful!
I feel like a new person!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:23:08 AM »
What were her exact words?

Something like 'take a hike'?

;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BrianM

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
Any other roads in the area that I can't miss on Wednesday and Thursday?

You named the only roads I actively try to Avoid in the whole region.  I couldn't tell you where the best roads are because I found them by just turning onto random roads.  No GPS, no map, just getting lost and staying off roads I know/recognize.  Seriously, it's easy to find good roads all along that area, takes no effort at all.  And the best part is that you're not going to have some squid tossing their bike at you/coming over the center line/ruining your vacation. 

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
Any other roads in the area that I can't miss on Wednesday and Thursday? I also need to get a new front tire, any of you have suggestions on good dealers that won't gouge me on the price.

The Cherohala Skyway out of Robbinsville

Hwy 28 south from the Deals Gap store is a great road, especially past Hellbender Gas Station

Ride north on the Dragon then take a right on Foothills parkway, a nice sweeper road, then at the end turn right and stay on that road till it dead ends and turn right towards Cherokee and another great road.  So long as it is during the week, don't even go close to Cherokee durning the weekend
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »
Hopefully the squids and pirates are few and far between since I will be riding the area on Wednesday and Thursday.  Thanks for the tips guys.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »
And with a CLEAN bike?  For shame ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
When you get tired of the tourist trap roads and being held up by hardly-ablesons everyone will suggest, run HWY 28 between Hwy 74 and Franklin. You won't forget it  ;D

28 is Northwest to Franklin, and not far where you will be.

Look Northwest on this map.  Pan the map further Northest a few miles and you'll see the area you've already mentioned.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4TSND_en___US426&q=franklin,+nc&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&ion=1&biw=1920&bih=876&wrapid=tlif131472111546410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8859251b3c341e5b:0x7d6abd5c00dca225,Franklin,+NC&gl=us&ei=MA1dTpuJH9KXtwevzOHIAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDUQ8gEwAg
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
Forum is hosing my link up!  google map Franklin and look to the northwest LoL
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
click the area you're interested in.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/nc.html
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
I'm heading in that direction on Friday afternoon and will be there all the next week. Can't wait to hit several of these great roads. Only problem is that my bike is the "least sporty" of the bunch and my cajones aren't as big as theirs. (Pretty crazy for a bunch of old guys.) But, they don't mind waiting at the next turn or stop sign for me to catch up.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
missed you by a week, will be up there on the 10th and 11th

Offline insignificant

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »
Plenty of options. 28 from the gap south, Warwoman rd, 215, 276, 209 to Hot Springs.
Wheelers has a good selection of tires and is quick and has good prices.http://www.wheelersperformance.com/
Have fun, I'll be in the area next week. Steve

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »
Plenty of options. 28 from the gap south, Warwoman rd, 215, 276, 209 to Hot Springs.
Wheelers has a good selection of tires and is quick and has good prices.http://www.wheelersperformance.com/
Have fun, I'll be in the area next week. Steve

and wheeler has an outdoor couch and TV! And a hose to wash your bike off (free)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I got a tire in St Louis from No Mar (great place by the way) for $150 including mount and balance. I will take off from nashville first thing in the morning and head towards fontana dam and I wikk make a loop through Robbinsville, Telllico plains, and Reliance.  There are so many great roads in the are I just hope I can ride half of them in the time allowed. Hopefully the traffic is thin tomorrow and maybe I'll seee some skilled riders.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 04:28:01 AM »
And with a CLEAN bike?  For shame ;)

a semi clean bike. The bugs were out in full force yesterday, I must have killed five pounds worth of thos nasty suckers.

Offline ICBM

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
Heading out for the Dragon area on Friday Sept 2. Should make the area in 3-4 days. Plan to stay approx 3-4 days around Asheville as a home base. Any better home base suggestions? Places to eat? Things must do?
First trip to the Smokies from Canada and want to make the best of it
ICBM

Offline Reid

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
Heading out for the Dragon area on Friday Sept 2. Should make the area in 3-4 days. Plan to stay approx 3-4 days around Asheville as a home base. Any better home base suggestions? Places to eat? Things must do?
First trip to the Smokies from Canada and want to make the best of it
ICBM

Winding Rivers and Roads rally will be starting Sept 9th at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Campground in Stecoah NC.  If you're still in the area come on over.  We'll be there till Sunday the 11th.
2008 C-14 (Silver Belle)
Russell Daylong seat
Cal-Sci windshield
S.Ga. AAD

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:33:32 PM »
While your up that way, how about the Blue Ridge Parkway???
Speeds are controlled and a bit slow, but supposed to be a great /scenic road.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »
I am in Pigeon Forge and will be hitting Cherohola tomorrow and maybe a couple other roads before heading west towards Missouri. The roads were awesome and the views were spectacular. Thanks everyone for all the info.