Author Topic: WWII Relics  (Read 2411 times)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
WWII Relics
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
Found this video on liveleak.  Seeing some of these wrecks and relics gives me a headache when I think of how unimportant they are now as rusting hulks but how life-changing important they were to someone when they were working, viable machines.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=30f_1401154732
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Gsun

Re: WWII Relics
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
Wow....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:39 AM »
While not a WWII relic...some pictures of the the aftermath of the Great War ......   WWI....

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/europe-landscape-still-scarred-world-war-i-180951430/?no-ist
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:35:44 AM »
Those are some fascinating photographs. Very well done. I would like to see those old trenches and no mans land some day.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:40:29 AM »
One of my favorite riding/recreation areas was on the front lines of the Italian Campaigns of WWI along the high plain of Asiago (Alto Piano) in the area between Monte Grappa and Monte Passubio.

You cant walk in the woods without finding deritius from that time, metal, shoe soles, trenches, etc.

Ironically, we owe some of the best riding in the world to the supply routes on both sides in the Dolomites.   
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:50:35 AM »
Those are some fascinating photographs. Very well done. I would like to see those old trenches and no mans land some day.

Not me..photos are enough.  For some reason, I get very emotional on battlefields.  Maybe in a past life I was killed on one.  I couldn't even make it through the Yorktown Victory center in Yorktown, VA.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline Sly

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:24:43 AM »
I visited the Memorial in Verdun France (my twin is Canadian career military) and it was to say the least, very moving and emotional, freedom isn’t free and it doesn’t come cheap! Nice thread, thanks for sharing!

Offline cmoore

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 05:22:27 AM »
More good photos, thanks for posting. I understand about the emotions. I tip my hat to all of those brave men. I was lucky that history and events didn't put me in the middle of a war.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas