Author Topic: C-10 timing chain adjustment?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline roadrunner322

C-10 timing chain adjustment?
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
Is there a way to make sure the timing chain is adjusted properly?  I checked the manual and it says the 2004 self adjusts. 
The reason I ask is that when riding at about 55mph at a steady speed, I sometimes get an occasional roaring that sounds to me like the chain may be rubbing against something.  The noise lasts about 10 to 20 seconds and appears to go away if I change throttle position.  I'm baffled by the sound. 
Currently Own
1985 Kawasaki ZN700

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: C-10 timing chain adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:13:59 AM »
  The cam chain noise is typically at idle and worst at inilial cold startup. It sounds like really rattly loose valves on the left top side of the engine. I don't know what you're hearing, but nothing I'd ever relate to a cam chain noise - Steve

Offline Equito

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Is there a way to make sure the timing chain is adjusted properly?  I checked the manual and it says the 2004 self adjusts. 
The reason I ask is that when riding at about 55mph at a steady speed, I sometimes get an occasional roaring that sounds to me like the chain may be rubbing against something.  The noise lasts about 10 to 20 seconds and appears to go away if I change throttle position.  I'm baffled by the sound.

Perhaps the cooling fan cycling on/off?  What's the temp gauge doing before/during/after the noise?

Offline Leo

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
Roadrunner, I can almost guaranty that the roar you hear at highway speeds is not the cam chain.  It is normal for them to rattle a little at cold start up.  This makes some worry, but it really is no problem.  When the chain gets loose enough the ratchet will set to the next tooth.  No worries.  A lot of times higway speed roaring is bodywork vibrating.  The bolt that holds the head stock to the fairing mount needs checked often.  If you take the fairing side covers off, you see a line where one piece of body work has rubbed the pain off the other, glue a piece of felt or very thin weather strip there.  A pinhole in the exhaust crossover pipe will make some funny sounds too.  It is time consuming to find it, but it should not be hard to fix.  Let us know what you find.  Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline roadrunner322

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice!! Really appreciate it! I suppose I worry that it could be something serious and cause a mechanical problem that could throw me.  The noise is weird.  It sounds like a sort of grinding roaring noise and is intermittent.  I've put about 600 miles on the bike so far and the noise does not appear to be getting worse.  Most of the time I just ride it to work and back, a distance of about 9 miles each way. 
From what you guys say, it isn't the timing chain.  I'll take a look at the fairing and other bolts. I'm sure it isn't the fan.
Currently Own
1985 Kawasaki ZN700

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
Might be worth checking the wheel bearings.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Intruder

• All Weather Medium Attack!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:52:20 PM »
Or the speedometer cable  ;)
Jim
AECS US Navy Retired

1984 Honda VT500 Ascot

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 07:21:19 AM »
Road condition as well as tire type and condition as well can make for an odd roaring type of sound, so can leaning into turns with a cupped tire, as well as brake pads singing on the rotors too.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:59:42 AM »
How many miles on the bike? I agree with Brian,  sounds like it could be wheel bearings.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline roadrunner322

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
The bike has 21k miles on it.  I don't suspect wheel bearings because it happens while cruising straight at a steady speed of about 55mph.

Of course I've been fooled before on car noises.  I did my own car repairs for 36 yrs until I started contracting away from home. I don't have the time or usually the tools to do many repairs any more.  And I haven't ridden bikes all that much especially this Concours which appears to be fairly noisy anyway in the transmission area.

I've got it up for sale too. I don't want to sell it with a serious problem.  Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to replace the tires.  They are almost slick and I have been riding it to work while it is for sale. I'm liking the bike more and more and the wife was ok with me riding the bike.  But, not long after I bought it I managed to drop it on my right foot, break a bone that caused blood clots in my leg, hospital visit, blood thinners, etc.  Everything is ok now except for the wife!  She's only with me here in FL about half the time, so I get to ride it about half the time! Ha!
Currently Own
1985 Kawasaki ZN700