Author Topic: Replaced Battery: Thanks for a good 8 years  (Read 4952 times)

Offline PH14

Re: Replaced Battery: Thanks for a good 8 years
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2018, 10:15:24 AM »
nice try... but Phil has the winner on this one...... :rotflmao: :goodpost: :hail:

you would have had to read the Concourier article I wrote about "most asked questions/FAQ's I have had to answer...."

where the final one was "my bike was running perfectly, and then I washed it... and now it won't start... what's wrong with it...?????"

to which I ASK the question...."uh, what color is it?"....

old COG humor, still make Larry Buck snork his drink outta his nose... :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Wait...you washed it? Okay, all bets are off. As for color, I had forgotten what color mine was until the fresh battery/wash. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was the fastest color...red.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2018, 07:27:44 PM »
I wish batteries in my vehicles lasted that long :)
Perhaps my current one will, since I started using a Battery Tender Jr. on it whenever it is not being used.

....and never sits overnight without being on the intelligent trickle charger when parked.

I'm probably going to get flamed (and/or sued by Deltran), but I don't think that Battery Tender Jr.s put out enough juice (amps).
I've had two batteries go bad on them. (neither were on my C14, both were smaller batteries)
The first sentence is opinion, the second is fact. I know, it doesn't mean for sure that the tenders were at fault, but I quit using them anyway.
I now have 1 amp Yuasa chargers on two smaller battery bikes, and a Pulse Tech Xtreme (GT750) and OptiMate5 (C14). 

Surprising thing is that over the years I've actually had better luck with the free battery maintainers I've gotten at Harbor Freight than I've had with BTjrs.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »
I'm probably going to get flamed (and/or sued by Deltran), but I don't think that Battery Tender Jr.s put out enough juice (amps).  The first sentence is opinion, the second is fact. I know, it doesn't mean for sure that the tenders were at fault, but I quit using them anyway.

I am not sure it needs to put out much current for the intended use.  In my case, I am not using it to charge a depleted battery, just keep it topped off.  That it does easily.  Most of the time when I plug it in, it goes solid green within minutes.

But I have had one Jr. fail already and bought another.  That was disappointing, because they aren't really inexpensive (for what they are).  I am sure there are better ones out there.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »
I am not sure it needs to put out much current for the intended use.  In my case, I am not using it to charge a depleted battery, just keep it topped off.  That it does easily.  Most of the time when I plug it in, it goes solid green within minutes.

But I have had one Jr. fail already and bought another.  That was disappointing, because they aren't really inexpensive (for what they are).  I am sure there are better ones out there.

I was a big fan of Battery Tender Jrs, and own about 10 of them. But they've started dying, so I don't trust them. And they seem to last shorter and shorter, like they're being made in China with crappier and crappier parts. And if they're going to be unreliable, well, that's the whole point in buying them.

I might search for a more reliable make/model. But I'm almost at the point to where I feel like it's a similar effort (and cost?) to just replace a battery when needed. Not sure.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 03:28:50 PM »
I was a big fan of Battery Tender Jrs, and own about 10 of them. But they've started dying, so I don't trust them. And they seem to last shorter and shorter, like they're being made in China with crappier and crappier parts. And if they're going to be unreliable, well, that's the whole point in buying them.

I might search for a more reliable make/model. But I'm almost at the point to where I feel like it's a similar effort (and cost?) to just replace a battery when needed. Not sure.

I know.  The Jr. is 1/3 the price of a new battery.  If it doesn't last half the time of a battery, what is the point?  I do have a different smart charger that I bought recently on a whim, this one:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07374QD33

"SUAOKI Car Battery Charger 4 Amp 6/12V Fully Automatic Battery Maintainer for Car Truck Motorcycle" $36

And it seems to work well with things I have tried, but have not tried as a trickle charger on the motorcycle.  It is not much more expensive than the Jr. ($20) but it is FAR more versatile- full function back-lit display, up to 4A instead of just 0.75, different batteries supported (LiIon, AGM, and SLA)...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
My Battery Tender Jr is coming up on ten years old right now and still going strong. I bought one for a friend in 2010 and his is still working well too.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
It's been 10 years, you know.  Probably time to replace it as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
It's been 10 years, you know.  Probably time to replace it as well.

As long as it's working, and putting out power, cycling between its modes as designed, I seen no need. If it fails, I'll buy a new one. It works as advertised.  Sometimes I wonder if the same people who have issues with corrosion on the ground connections, also have their battery Tender fail. I don't know, I have had no issues with either.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »
I'm on my third battery in my 2009.
I probably jumped the gun both times.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline dirtwiz

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
I've decided to never go more than 4 years on a battery regardless of how well it cranks. In addition I put it on a tender whenever I'm not riding, remove the battery completely and clean terminals and grounds every 6 months, and before every long trip after having problems once in the middle of nowhere Montana.  I do way to many 200+ mile riding days where I stop for gas and restart in areas where a dead battery would be a major hassle. My last battery "crapped the bed" after a 300+ mile day ride but luckily was 1 mile from my house at a gas station. It was 106* at the end of a long hot day and I was anything but happy to have to find a battery at a Napa store, take it home and charge it, then return and install it in the dark. In the Southwest 100*+ days trash batteries in our cars constantly as well....I finally bit the bullet and air conditioned our garage which helps a lot.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:10:37 PM by dirtwiz »
If loud pipes save lives....I'll be dead by morning.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
So what's the go too battery? I think I am riding on borrowed time with mine.
Thinking I would like to stick with something I can source locally but open to suggestions. Jo
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
Thinking I would like to stick with something I can source locally but open to suggestions. Jo

Sorta depends what you mean by "go too". If you mean "well this one sucks, and it has to go too" or if you mean which one do you folks all "go to". Yeah I'm being a smart ass.... ::) :P
...anyway, The original stock battery is a 14 AH battery but the vast majority of the replacements out there are 12 AH batteries. I called my dealer and they actually offered a 12AH and the original stock 14AH
versions. I went with the 14AH version as the price wasn't that bad in my opinion, but you'll need some battery expert on here to tell you if it's (2 AH difference) that important. I really don't know. What I do know is that if I was on a trip and my C14 wouldn't start I'd be kicking myself if I had purchased the 12AH battery (perhaps undeservedly so, but kick myself I'd do). The original is a Furukawa FTZ14-BS (14AH) and most of the replacements are Yuasa YTX14-BS (12AH).
I'm sure that most here have replaced their battery with the latter and have had no problems.
Good luck.  :thumbs:

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
I guess I have enough go too the recycle batteries!  The prices are all similar. Just want something that wont let me down for a few years.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »
depending on climate, and ride frequency, it boils down to how much you want to spend, and if you believe in the manufacturers...
a lot of the 14AH batteries, that are noted as such, like the YTX14-BS, which is really the BS thing, as it's a 12AH unit, are in fact 12 AH, but that is only a factore of how it "stores" power, and the real point is "cold cranking AMPS", or, in reality... how much capacity does it have to "deliver" the stored amps. Plate designs and configurations, along with the chemical composition of modern batteries, vary greatly, some break down internally, some chemically, and most with a combo of both... charge/discharge cycles, and the use of battery "tenders", make it even more difficult to predict the true failure point, between "worked fine" to "dead as a door nail.."

I try to use good viable manufacturers, Exide has been pretty much a standard for "ok" and priced as such, but higher end AGM's, with Higher prices, may work better, or not, sometimes.
The cheapest 12AH, with 200CCA, seems the most realistic, it's all the bike "needs", but I always prefer a larger CCA rating (220, or above), when durability is the main key.

the more I look at the 14AH batts, the more I'm realizing the manufacturers have done a "sidestep", and are using this XXXX-14BS rating, more often as a specific "format SIZE" (physical dimensions), in lieu of actual capacity today... and really chincing out on the customers... giving a 12AH unit, packaged in what was always a 14AH package size... pretty cheesy in my opinion...

I've sent numerous e-mails to Odyssey, asking them to make a "package size" suited to be as we need, but have never had any luck with them accomodating it, with the size of the C14's "package", the Ody batt would be capable of over 240CCA/14AH easily.. they get that out of smaller batts currently, but the terminals are backwards... unfortunatly.

these cost, but seem fine....
 I do caution about the first one,a 16-BS, as the height excedes the "package" height
the rest are the correct size...

Xtreme AGM Battery for Kawasaki FTZ14BS Replacement
16-BS
Lead Acid Type: Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 230
Warranty: 12 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 12.05 lbs
Length: 5.938 in
Width: 3.438 in
Height: 6.375 in

Item Number: CYL10012
Brand: Duracell Ultra
Voltage: 12
Format: 14-BS
Cold Cranking Amps: 220
Warranty: 24 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 11.5 lbs
Length: 5.87 in
Width: 3.38 in
Height: 5.75 in

Item Number: CYL10001
Brand: Duracell Ultra
Cold Cranking Amps: 220
Warranty: 24 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 11.5 lbs
Length: 5.87 in
Width: 3.38 in
Height: 5.75 in

Item Number: CYLA14BSXTA
Brand: Xtreme
Cold Cranking Amps: 200
Warranty: 12 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 10.25 lbs
Length: 5.94 in
Width: 3.43 in
Height: 5.79 in

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 05:03:16 PM »
There is no consensus on that (or little else for that matter).

I like the generic AGM batteries from Amazon, about $50 and they seem to work well. You can also get them at some battery stores if you want to buy locally but I have always just used Amazon (riding on a free Prime membership from work so shipping is free and 2nd day).

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 05:08:04 PM »
I too am a big fan of Odyssey batteries but like you, never found one that would fit a C-14. If you did find one that meets requirements and is slightly smaller, you can use it even if 'backwards' on the terminals; just spin the battery 180 and put the terminals facing the other end of the bike (front or tail, I cannot remember where the stock battery ends up). We know there is more than enough length in the cables because many C-14 batteries have been installed backwards by dealers over the years.... successfully.

Brian

<snip>

I've sent numerous e-mails to Odyssey, asking them to make a "package size" suited to be as we need, but have never had any luck with them accomodating it, with the size of the C14's "package", the Ody batt would be capable of over 240CCA/14AH easily.. they get that out of smaller batts currently, but the terminals are backwards... unfortunatly.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 08:48:04 AM »
Thanks guys. After reading reviews and looking at lots of batteries in a $50 to $120 range I have decided its a crap shoot! I will check some local sources and go with someone who will honor their warranty. I bought a AGM (brand escapes me) online . The company was great to deal with but the battery was crap. Went through 3 of them. Dont know how the fourth worked out because I sold the bike. That was way to much down time.

Thanks again for the info.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »
Thanks guys. After reading reviews and looking at lots of batteries in a $50 to $120 range I have decided its a crap shoot!

:( but true.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
:( but true.

It is what I think, too.  Consumers got fed up with high battery prices and a flood of no-name and semi-name brands have flooded the market with questionable quality.  What were quality brands have mostly either disappeared, or started lowering THEIR quality to price compete.  So now it does seem like a crap shoot.  Even if you find something that works well NOW, there is no guarantee that same one will be around again next time, or that it is actually the same quality.