Author Topic: Strange cracks...  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Conniesaki

Re: Strange cracks...
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
"Strange cracks" ... this is what many males seek, especially in younger years.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
Incorrigible: a state of being meaning one is able to be encouraged.

Brian

Word of the day is incorrigible.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »
To much torque

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
Well, now mine is cracked too (below glovebox trim near the heater control).

Finally have a photo of it.  I pressed on the right side a bit to help let it show.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 10:16:24 AM »
At least the split is so straight, it almost looks like a seam. 

An easy way to repair/limit more damage:

On the underside, use fiber tape and E6000 glue.  Rough up the plastic with sandpaper for bite.  I used this method on my R2D2 scooter’s front fender and it worked well.  The E6000 glue is flexible, but strong enough to keep it together. 

The attached pic is the fibertape before adding the glue.  Yours would be on a much smaller scale, of course.  That whole fender was split pretty badly, but is holding up nicely. 

You could always try some sort of epoxy, as well.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
At least the split is so straight, it almost looks like a seam. 

An easy way to repair/limit more damage:

On the underside, use fiber tape and E6000 glue.  Rough up the plastic with sandpaper for bite.  I used this method on my R2D2 scooter’s front fender and it worked well.  The E6000 glue is flexible, but strong enough to keep it together. 

The attached pic is the fibertape before adding the glue.  Yours would be on a much smaller scale, of course.  That whole fender was split pretty badly, but is holding up nicely. 

You could always try some sort of epoxy, as well.

That is exactly my plan.  My amazon order came in, I have JB Weld plastic epoxy, black.  I planned on using some fiberglass mesh tape and the epoxy, after roughing the underside.  Have no idea when next that panel will come off, but when it does, I should be ready.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2023, 10:36:49 PM »
Many photos lost when forum was reloaded.

Here are two I found.  First is the crack, second is showing the repair I made from the bottom, using fiberglass mesh and JB Weld.

Offline J.R.

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2023, 11:41:43 PM »
Many photos lost when forum was reloaded.

Here are two I found.  First is the crack, second is showing the repair I made from the bottom, using fiberglass mesh and JB Weld.

Crap. I had no idea this was common thing. I noticed cracks in the exact same spot just this week. I attributed it to spilling a little bit of brake fluid when I bled the clutch and missing some wheb i cleaned it. Fixed mine with some expoy and hoping it lasts.
Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"