Author Topic: Off roading in Arkansas-Sort of  (Read 14278 times)

Offline PH14

Off roading in Arkansas-Sort of
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:03:12 PM »
My wife and I are living in Branson, Missouri for a few months and have been enjoying riding around here exploring. Today we took a ride into Arkansas with no particular destination in mind. At one point we drove past Rt. 7 on Rt. 65 instead of taking 7 to Jasper. We ended up turning down a road in the direction of the Buffalo River. That road turned into a poorly maintained gravel/dirt road with washboard ruts, loose rocks, loose gravel, areas of deep, loose rocks, slick exposed rocks, exposed roots, hills, and off camber areas. In other words, perfect for a C14.  ;D In one spot the was a crossing of what looked to be a dry stream bed. There was a sign that said. "Hazardous Crossing." It wasn't too bad, but I got off and walked in first and my wife stayed off the bike until I crossed. There was some deep rock there, smooth stones that moved a lot when you walked over them, a lot of rutted areas and it was generally rough. The pictures doesn't come close to doing it justice. The Concours did great by the way despite not having ABS or traction control. Knobbies would have been nice though.  ;D

We had a lot of fun although it was hot. I'm lucky my wife is willing to do these things. She had as much fun as I did.

Last Friday we stopped and looked at a 2011 Ural Patrol. It is the dealership's demo and has about 740km on it. We rode it and both loved it. She had a huge grin on her face. I have wanted one since I first saw them at the motorcycle dealer show in Cincinnati back in 1995. The entire time we were riding today we both were commenting about how much fun the Ural would be on this ride. Had I not just bought two cars I would have already bought the Ural. I may still, but I may get a newer model with fuel injection. Time will tell. I think I would like to slow down and enjoy some back road exploring on one. I do photography so I think it would be a nice setup for that. Here are a few snaps from today. Some from he phone and one from an actual camera.

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
Re: Off roading in Arkansas-Sort of
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 01:27:38 AM »
 Sounds like a fun trip...

I am sure it worse than it appears, but that simply looks like WI road construction season.... stuff I encounter on a weekly basis.  :P

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »

I am sure it worse than it appears, but that simply looks like WI road construction season.... stuff I encounter on a weekly basis.  :P

This wasn't the worst section, but it was the place I got off. The steep hills and off camber stuff with the large loose rocks were worse.

No. it wasn't bad, I grew up in Iowa riding the gravel roads. I rode gravel roads on my Goldwing without giving it a thought.

This was a really fun day though. My wife had fun. I'm happy she is a willing participant. It makes things a lot more enjoyable. Her only bad point is that she encourages me.  ;D She actually wants me to buy a Ural and keep this one. I am the one saying that financially I am hesitant. She is the same with guns, etc.

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
 She is most certainly a keeper then!!

And yes having the woman along is always awesome when they want to be there and actively participate

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »

And yes having the woman along is always awesome when they want to be there and actively participate

We're still talking about motorcycles aren't we?  :)

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »

:rotflmao:

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »

Yeah, she's a keeper. I'm very lucky to have her. I found a beautiful blind woman.

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »

but that simply looks like WI road construction season.... stuff I encounter on a weekly basis.  :P

I can't say I am missing construction season in PA. Every day it is a new obstacle course.

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »

I walked right into that one....

I think it goes without saying on all accounts...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:28 PM »
I can't say I am missing construction season in PA. Every day it is a new obstacle course.
How's the construction around Branson?

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
How's the construction around Branson?

So far so good. I haven't encountered any to cause any issues. I saw a little on the ride in Arkansas, but it didn't cause any issues.