Author Topic: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)  (Read 28211 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
'I have to go see a man about a horse' means urinate, 'drop the deuce' is self- explanatory. In the cat's litter box, they are often called "presents" left by the little furry angels. Probably called that because it is almost impossible to believe such a small, cute, cuddly little critter could produce something so obnoxious.

Brian

with the exception of "restroom" (which isnt really a British expression) that pretty much covers it/

Although you may take a visit to the khazi to take a dump or you might just need to spend a penny
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »

Loosely related ( as it can happen after consuming too much alcohol) is vomiting.

Typically we would say " I'm being sick" or "I've just been sick" however depending on company then you might also "chunder" ,"spew","barf", "make a pavement pizza", "puke", "throw up" or even say " I'm just going to answer/use the big white telephone"

WHat do you guys use?

We have LOTS! I'm going to hurl, I'm going ralph, to blow chunks, after too much alcohol we might worship the white budda, lose your lunch, upchuck...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #182 on: March 29, 2018, 03:21:29 PM »
volcano puke

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #183 on: March 29, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
The nurse here would probably just say " I'm just going to swab your arm before giving you your jab" without specifying what she (or he) was using

Interesting- I did not know you used that term 'jabs'. I do know it seems to throw UK folk off when we use the term "rubbing alcohol", which is isopropyl alcohol..... or the kind they 'rub' on your arm before inserting the syringe. And yes, the most common term would be getting a 'shot' to mean an injection.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #184 on: March 29, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
WHat do you guys use?

Me?  Inject/injection/injected [with a syringe] (but I am not a layperson, who would always say, unfortunately and inaccurately, "shot").  And the flu thing you get is a "flu vaccine" or "flu vaccination" not a "flu shot" (ug).  As for vomiting- barf/vomit/throw-up all interchangeably, at least if informal.  If formal/polite, "was sick" or "became sick" which isn't very exact or descriptive, but that is the point :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #185 on: March 29, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
Let's talk poop.  Less pleasant: "Take a dump", "Take a crap", "Take a s**t"

I would never say such a thing, since nobody is "taking" anything at all, they are "giving".  Although I hear such stupid stuff all the time and consider it crass.  If being medical, I would say "defecate" if not but still needed to be specific, "BM" or "go/to poo" or something.  Generally, I would only say "I need to use the restroom/bathroom."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #186 on: March 29, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »
drop mud...pinch a loaf

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #187 on: March 29, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »
Me?  Inject/injection/injected [with a syringe] (but I am not a layperson, who would always say, unfortunately and inaccurately, "shot").  And the flu thing you get is a "flu vaccine" or "flu vaccination" not a "flu shot" (ug).  As for vomiting- barf/vomit/throw-up all interchangeably, at least if informal.  If formal/polite, "was sick" or "became sick" which isn't very exact or descriptive, but that is the point :)

now see, we are quite happy with saying " off to get a flu jab"  which doesn't mean getting punched in the face by an aggressive bug lol

nb thats bug as in virus etc not bug as in insect
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #188 on: March 29, 2018, 07:31:00 PM »
Right- here they would not say anything about the swabbing. It is 'we', the masses (or is it them asses) who have applied the term 'rubbing' alcohol to the type used before the injection, not the medical community.

And max makes a good point, it would vary quite a bit depending on the setting: a medical person would most likely call it an injection while the great unwashed call it 'a shot'. But back to your original point about this, yes, I believe I had a 'flue jab' would simply not be understood in the US. It makes perfect sense, and is easily as good a word as 'shot', just the difference in how the words are used and applied. Hence the name of this thread :-) We both have the exact same definition of the word 'rubber' in the pure sense, it is in the common usage where it takes a turn.

Brian

The nurse here would probably just say " I'm just going to swab your arm before giving you your jab" without specifying what she (or he) was using
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
ahhh rubber .

Actually some people over ere do use it in the same context as that alluded too, ie condoms, although not necessarily on it's own. More likely it would be "rubber johnny" but it all depends.

A rubber is also  the bit at the end of a pencil used to undo mistakes before CTRL+Z was invented whilst a "board rubber" is something that your teacher may have launched at you for misbehaving in class.

Oh and of course it's also a variation of the card game bridge.

So at the end of the day you might go out and burn some rubber to go play a rubber. Whilst playing you might need to use a rubber to correct the score before burning some more rubber to go meet your partner and using  a rubber to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

Right- here they would not say anything about the swabbing. It is 'we', the masses (or is it them asses) who have applied the term 'rubbing' alcohol to the type used before the injection, not the medical community.

And max makes a good point, it would vary quite a bit depending on the setting: a medical person would most likely call it an injection while the great unwashed call it 'a shot'. But back to your original point about this, yes, I believe I had a 'flue jab' would simply not be understood in the US. It makes perfect sense, and is easily as good a word as 'shot', just the difference in how the words are used and applied. Hence the name of this thread :-) We both have the exact same definition of the word 'rubber' in the pure sense, it is in the common usage where it takes a turn.

Brian
--

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2018, 05:37:06 AM »
Well as I was dragged up (brought up or Raised) in the midlands in England in the 70's and we called prophylactic a nodda or johnny a rubber as mentioned was a eraser, ahh school physical beatings at school were everyday for one of us :) ahh the good old days :)

poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
Wow, we're up to 13 pages.

I recently watched Terence Stamp in the movie The Limey.
I can't wait for this thread to turn to rhyming english slang.  :o  ;D 
That ought to leave us colonials (aka Septic Tanks) with their Loaf of Bread up their own Bottle and Glass.

ref:https://londontopia.net/londonism/fun-london/language-top-100-cockney-rhyming-slang-words-and-phrases/

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2018, 10:33:30 AM »

I can't wait for this thread to turn to rhyming english slang.  :o  ;D 
That ought to leave us colonials (aka Septic Tanks) with their Loaf of Bread up their own Bottle and Glass.

ref:https://londontopia.net/londonism/fun-london/language-top-100-cockney-rhyming-slang-words-and-phrases/

side bar:

Terence Stamp is always good but IMHO he was exceptionally good in "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
This brings up another point: what do you (UK) call us (US) casually or in slang? I have heard colonists used with a mostly humorous and a touch of degrading meaning it seems but overall, not unkind.

The only two slang terms I know for a Brit. is 'Limey', which is NOT derogatory but merely slang. And really, I guess it would be an English person because we have other slang terms for the Irish (a 'Mick'). It is based on the fact that Capt. Cook started using limes as provender to prevent scurvy on long ocean voyages (I believe there is still the 'Limehouse' on the Thames where thy were stored or collected ?? ). The other term is 'Jickey', which is derogatory and I personally never use it simply because I do not know what it means.

Just as an aside, I do not know of any American slang terms for other native English speaking country's populations although we often call Australia 'Oz', again I do not know why. But I know of no slang terms for an Australian, New Zealander, South African and similar.

I believe you call a stove a 'cooker'. We call it a stove :-)

Brian

<snip>

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
this is what we more commonly call a stove, generally used for heating/decorative effect rather than cooking.

Terms for citizens of the US of A ?

Yanks is the most mormal, occasionally might refer to you as "merkins" (& yes , fully aware that has another meaning lol)

The irish are either Micks or Paddies
The Scots are Jock
The Welsh are taffs

Australians are Ozzies (and we're Poms or pommies to them)

New Zealanders are Kiwis

South Africans are just generally rude & obnoxious ;)

Limehouse in London gets its name from the Lime Kilns that used to be there for the potteries  and has nothing to do with the citrus fruit  of the same name

This brings up another point: what do you (UK) call us (US) casually or in slang? I have heard colonists used with a mostly humorous and a touch of degrading meaning it seems but overall, not unkind.

The only two slang terms I know for a Brit. is 'Limey', which is NOT derogatory but merely slang. And really, I guess it would be an English person because we have other slang terms for the Irish (a 'Mick'). It is based on the fact that Capt. Cook started using limes as provender to prevent scurvy on long ocean voyages (I believe there is still the 'Limehouse' on the Thames where thy were stored or collected ?? ). The other term is 'Jickey', which is derogatory and I personally never use it simply because I do not know what it means.

Just as an aside, I do not know of any American slang terms for other native English speaking country's populations although we often call Australia 'Oz', again I do not know why. But I know of no slang terms for an Australian, New Zealander, South African and similar.

I believe you call a stove a 'cooker'. We call it a stove :-)

Brian
--

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2018, 04:16:32 PM »
this is what we more commonly call a stove, generally used for heating/decorative effect rather than cooking.  Terms for citizens of the US of A ?

Fireplace.  Or more specifically, when it is wood burning and free-standing like that (and usually with sealed doors), we generally call that a "wood burning stove."  Here, if you just say "stove", 99.9% of people will assume you are talking about a range/oven (food cooking appliance).

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »
Fireplace.  Or more specifically, when it is wood burning and free-standing like that (and usually with sealed doors), we generally call that a "wood burning stove."  Here, if you just say "stove", 99.9% of people will assume you are talking about a range/oven (food cooking appliance).

Nah.

This is a fireplace :)

(and yes it's mine)

However a stove might sit inside a fireplace ;)

--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #197 on: March 31, 2018, 07:15:32 AM »
Here, that is a woodstove. Never, ever called just a 'stove' unless is such specific context that it cannot be confused.

And a fireplace is something built into the house with an inside (non- visible) chimney.

Another one: in the US, the grass part of outside is the 'yard', and a garden is a place in the yard reserved for growing flowers or vegetables. Apparently in the UK, 'garden' means yard and I have no idea where you grow vegetables (at a residence, on a farm of course, it would just be 'the field' I assume).

Brian

this is what we more commonly call a stove, generally used for heating/decorative effect rather than cooking.

<snip>

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
you grow vegetables at an allotment (typically rented from your local council) if you don't have a proper garden.

If you do have a garden and you grow vegetables at home you would probably from them in the vegetable plot

My house has a backyard not a garden as its stoneflagged rather than grass (or it would be if it didn't have astroturf out there  :)

Here, that is a woodstove. Never, ever called just a 'stove' unless is such specific context that it cannot be confused.

And a fireplace is something built into the house with an inside (non- visible) chimney.

Another one: in the US, the grass part of outside is the 'yard', and a garden is a place in the yard reserved for growing flowers or vegetables. Apparently in the UK, 'garden' means yard and I have no idea where you grow vegetables (at a residence, on a farm of course, it would just be 'the field' I assume).

Brian
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2018, 11:53:09 PM »
Airplane instead of Aeroplane.

Why?

After all you dont say (or maybe you do?)

airnautics instead of aeronautics

airdynamics instead of aerodynamics

airfoil instead of aerofoil

airnomic instead of aeronomic

airsol instead of aerosol

or my personal favourite Air instead of Aero ;)

--