Author Topic: What to do in Dallas/Fort Worth?  (Read 6654 times)

Offline C14PAINKILLER

What to do in Dallas/Fort Worth?
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »
This may not be the right area to post this. But, I would like to know what there is to do such as rides, museums, caves etc. Any input would be appreciated!
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline txfatboy

Re: What to do in Dallas/Fort Worth?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »
Hey hows it going? You can do just about anything you want short of surfing and winter sports.  ;D When will you be here, or, are you already here? There is Rangers baseball, museums in the art district which are great. Ripley's believe it or not and wax museum, six flags over Texas which is open on weekends and starting next week will be open every day. There are several 8th mile drag strips and 2 quarter mile tracks near by that race on the weekends. If you like local dirt oval racing there's the world famous Devil's bowl in mesquite, (birthplace of the World of Outlaws sprintcars) but they only race every other weekend. Unfortunately the outlaws don't race there anymore. There is a sky diving school in Denton, plenty of live entertainment shows, comedy clubs..... etc. Soooo what do you like to do?
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
I'd take in the stockyards in Fort Worth.  The White Elephant Saloon is really cool.  Daily Plaza and the site where Kennedy was shot, the Southfork Ranch tour.  Lots of options.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
You're problem may be that you aren't going to be here long enough to see everything you're interested in. If you want to do it, you can probably do it here!  ;D
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:58:08 PM »
This joint is easy to get to.

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
Thanks for the great info!  8) I'm hoping to be there in June or July. Trying to sync things with a friend. Gonna book 2 weeks vacation since there are openings at work. Take my time there, spent a few days there and then maybe head over to the Carolinas before heading home.

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:40:30 PM »
June/July welcome to heat and humidity.
Maybe a better recommendation is places with A/C.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
Will be warm, but JerryWorld has a big A/C.  :o And you can see if for about 30 miles from every direction. Looks like a big blister on the Earth.

If you like speed, acceleration, and twisties, Six Flags has got some really good roller coasters. (I'm a 54 year old coaster junkie!) Just go mid-week to cut down on the crowds.

If you're the more slow, sedate kinda person (and ride a silver Connie  ;)), there are many, many really nice museums in Fort Worth.

'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
Sounds like I'll be going from warm and humid to hot and humid ;D Just can't escape it on the eastern part of the continent, to bad the west coast is so far to drive. Them flat central plains make it even longer. Driving a blue connie so that I can just cruise or pick up the pace whenever the mood strikes ;)
Would love the coasters but for some reason my equalibrium went screwy when I was at Cedar Point a few years back.  And feeling dizzy and sick isn't that fun, so I'll have to settle for sedate!
So it'll be the mesh and camelbak gear time again. Came in really handy last year when I went to Cali.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
Well our humidity is largely gone by July, and we just settle into "gettin' dern hot".  THere aren't great rides around Dallas.  There are some ok roads that suffice for those of us who like to ride.  Most people get up early, get on the road, ride a bit, have a quick lunch then dead-head to try to be home by 2 or 3 at the latest, and the noon to 3 riding is pretty hot. 

There are some ok museums around town.  Lots of terrific restaurants.  But our best riding is hundreds of miles from the metroplex.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »
PM when you know when you will be in the area. Maybe we can scrounge a few folks up for a ride. As Necron mentioned, we tend to start and finish early during the summer. There are a bunch of us around the metromess that like to ride and will take most any excuse.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
The number one thing for a motorcyclist to do in Dallas is to,

Wish you were somewhere else.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »

Hard to argue with that.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:53 PM »
PM when you know when you will be in the area. Maybe we can scrounge a few folks up for a ride. As Necron mentioned, we tend to start and finish early during the summer. There are a bunch of us around the metromess that like to ride and will take most any excuse.

Will do! She is trying to see if she can get some time off, but I still may come down even if she can't. ;)

Sounds like my area where I live, not many really good roads and the drivers....do even get me started! ;D