Author Topic: 2001 concours starts then dies then restarts then dies  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Jjc331

2001 concours starts then dies then restarts then dies
« on: August 06, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
I just rebuilt the carbs on a bike i picked up that wasnt running. Got it running pretty good then it started dieing on me. I only drove it about a mile. Now it just starts and dies almost immeadiatly. I swapped the igniter, alternator, pulse coils, one of the coils. Still starts then dies. Was looking for a wiring diagram and maybe some insight.

Offline connie_rider

Re: 2001 concours starts then dies then restarts then dies
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
Does it restart immediately of after  a bit of time?
If a bit of time, you may have a pinched fuel line or the petcock is not functioning correctly.
Check the hose and put the petcock in prime.

NOTE: If you have raw fuel smell stop immediately and check into that.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Jjc331

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »
No it will baisically start back up imeadiatly and then die again. And when i put a test light from the battery positive to the 1-4 coil negative it wont start at all but if i do the same to the 2-3 coil it will run. I really need a wiring diagram. Also has like 50 mega ohms from the 1-4 coil to the battery ground. This doesnt seem right im thinking ive got a short but cant jump it out without a manual. I have a parts bike to swap parts but hasnt helped any.

Offline Jjc331

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »
Also is there a better spot for me to post this to get more responses?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
when you removed the fuel tank (and likely it got shook up well), to repair the carbs... did you completely dump the fuel, and flush the tank out with fresh fuel, and dump that also, and swab down the bottom inner corners to remove every bit of water and gunk in there? Or did you just add some gas to whatever was in there... ?

We commonly joke about the fact most people think actual fuel problems are electrical problems, and they start chasing electrical stuff.. and also vice versa; when in fact if a bike was running, retrace your steps, and there lies the issue... usually...

cleaning carbs is kind of a waste, unless you remove every speck and drop of old contaminated fuel from the system, meaning tank.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »
Quickie wiring diagram below.

Service Manual here:
https://motoservicemanual.com/kawasaki-service-repair-manual-download/
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

gpineau

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
MOB is right!
After cleaning the carbs....You've got to dump the old gas.

Happened to me more than once. Clean the carbs, start right up then dies shortly after. Especially in Colorado where most fuel you buy has a 10% ethanol mix. Absorbs moisture and will gum up your carbs in less than a month. 

10% ethanol gas looks green it you leave it set in the gas can for several months. I rebuilt my carbs once after spending a month away from home. I noticed a green film stuck to everything inside and it required a thorough cleaning before installing them. And absent minded me filled them up from a gas can that had sitting in the garage all summer and the bike wouldn't start. I drained the bowls and got a thin green liquid with clumps of green slime.
So, I  had to remove and clean the carbs again. 

Never again will I put ethanol mixture gasoline in my motorcycle or lawn equipment. Ethanol will gum up your carbs in less than a month of sitting idle.

If I want to determine whether it is fuel or electric problem, I use starter fluid. Spray it in the air intake. If I can keep it running with intermittent sprays of starter fluid then I know it is a fuel problem. If not then it is probably electrical.